SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
abdulsharifshoots.com
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about Staten Island...and i'm finding it impossible to find any street level pictures of this borough. Why doesn't Staten Island get more respect? post some pic of Staten Island if you have any.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't think Staten Island doesn't get a lot of respect because it's so far away from Manhattan, it's not as built up as the other boroughs, and it's home to a lot of mafia dons. But there are a lot of beautiful neighborhoods there.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Most of Staten Island is esssentialy suburbia. But it's probably the safest of the boroughs and I believe it is the fastest growing.

·
Premium Member
30,290 Posts
Staten Island is a great place, though it is a little isolated, but you can take the free ferry to Manhattan any time, instead of going down I-278, which is TERRIBLE.

I got some friends that live there, near the Bayonne bridge to NJ. I think that it's great that you can live in a suburban area and still considered in the largest city in the US. SI does deserve more attention and respect.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Staten Island is basically the most unurban borugh of the NYC. The Staten Island Railway, now the SIRT, used to go over all over the island, but the MTA took away the northern and central lines and just kept the south line. The reason there are not a lot of highrise mainly has to do with the fact that most of the island has a clay foundation, so NIMBYs aren't the main reason for it. Also, St George is the only major neighborhood to even have density, which is why it is reffered to as downtown SI as well as having the ferry.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
very interesting stuff. Thanks to the New Yorkers for the insight.

How many miles is the drive btwn there and Manhattan?

·
Premium Member
30,290 Posts
Using the Staten Island Ferry, Manhattan is 5 miles across the Upper New York Bay.

But car...don't think about it. Going down the area many times myself, you have to go down I-278 in Brooklyn...which is hell on earth. Takes me an hour on average. Mapquest makes you avoid Brooklyn and go through Jersey City and Bayonne down to SI via the Bayonne bridge.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Staten Island does have some major neighborhoods that include St Geoge, Mariner's Harbor, Grymes Hill, Stapleton, Tottenville, Westerleigh, and Pt Richmond.

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
rotten777 said:
Using the Staten Island Ferry, Manhattan is 5 miles across the Upper New York Bay.

But car...don't think about it. Going down the area many times myself, you have to go down I-278 in Brooklyn...which is hell on earth. Takes me an hour on average. Mapquest makes you avoid Brooklyn and go through Jersey City and Bayonne down to SI via the Bayonne bridge.
Oh, I see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts