SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
bloop
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhh yes.. springtime has FINALLY arrived in Alaska. We've sure been through a lot have we not? No this is no rhyming poem.. Its just a HUGE relief that the sun has came back after 7 months of darkness.. But hey, its no wonder Alaska has the highest alcohol consumption statistics in America... But for Alaska's largest city in particular, this is always a special time of the year.. unlike the summer, we are more appreciate of the sun.. kids are playing outside, construction projects resume.. its as if giving the sun a hug as it comes out of the terminal gate at the airport.. you truley missed it.

The Fifth Avenue Mall - sunrise - 7:00 AM (later 4AM in July)

Downtown - 7:45 AM

7th Ave Luxury Condominiums - completed earlier this year

Sunshine Plaza

Museum Expansion - as visioned by British architect David Chipperfeild

2:14 PM

McKinley Tower Condominiums/Senior Home: 2006

Credit Union 1 Headquarters: 2005

Cook Inlet Tribal Council: 2005

7:24 PM

Bristol Bay Building: 2005/06

AlaskaUSA Financial Center: 2005

8:56 PM

the new Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church

--

·
Registered
meow
9,842 Posts
Hehehe Anchorage looks cool! It's interesting to have such a nice and developed city quite in the middle of nowhere! How's English in Anchorage? Is there an Alaska(n?) accent? :D

And uh, is it so dark in the winter? Okay, maybe in Early January, but what about November (I know it's not winter properly) or mid February? Cuz winter in Anchorage isn't as cold as in Northern Canada or even Central Alaska, is it?

·
bloop
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe well our English is i guess "normal".. no outsiders mention us having some accent, so i figure we're good to go.

Now winter in Anchorage is a bit more mild compared to Fairbanks, Alaska or even some Canadian cities below Anchorage simply because they are inland.. thus temps get as low as -40 F. When it comes to sunlight, Anchorage see's its December 21st (winter solstice) sun rise at 11am and set at 2pm.. but thanks to daylight savings time (in March) we now have the sun set at 9:30 rather than 7:30 in just a matter of days.

gotta love daylight savings time.. seriously,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts