SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big Maritime event of CoC will be the Tall Ships Races , 18-21 July
See, www.tallshipsliverpool.co.uk for up to date details.

Here are just a few of the A class ships that will arrive in the river on 18 July........

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
I'm looking forward to this. When they were here in 1992, I was away on holiday, and when they were here in the 1980's ('84 was it?) I was not even two years old, so was too young to be able to remember them. As such, this will be my first proper chance to experience the event. :banana:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
the 1992 one was unbelievable, seeing those ships on the river was awesome... brought a tear to me glass eye it did.

Internationally important too, seeing as how it tied in with the 500th anivarsary celebrations of Columbus' discovery of the Americas and stuff.. not that you would have known that if you only watched the 'local' TV.... as it was barely covered at all... funny, haven't we heard similar things like that way too many times over the years?

The only decent TV coverage was of the final night concert by the phil.... provided by S4C

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm coming back up for it on the 19th. I've booked into the Radissson. Malmaison was already full. They've all jacked their prices right up that weeked. £250 per night.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
From the Daily Post -

Road closures planned when tall ships take to water

Jun 25 2008 by Aaron Boland, Liverpool Daily Post

DOZENS of roads are to be closed and others made “red routes” as Wirral prepares for hundreds of thousands of visitors wanting to see the Tall Ships next month.

Extra parking wardens will be drafted in and council employees based in Wallasey, where most visitors will expect to get the best views of the ships on the Mersey, are to be advised to take holidays or work flexibly to limit traffic.

The Tall Ships will be on the Mersey between Friday and Monday, July 18-21.

It is one of the major highlights of Liverpool’s tenure as European Capital of Culture, as more than 70 vessels from more than 30 countries, will assemble along the Albert and Wellington docks.

Liverpool’s role as Host Port for the start of the 2008 races will reach its climax on Monday, July 21 when the fleet perform the Parade of Sail from 2pm. It is this day Wirral Council expects to be the busiest.
More here - http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...when-tall-ships-take-to-water-64375-21145702/

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Parade of Sail,

The parade of sail on Monday 21st. July 08, will be lead by ................

HMS Argyll, Type 23 Frigate

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,356 Posts
Ohhh Im really looking forward to this!
Shame that there will be no old ships of the line/frigates etc though...

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,690 Posts
The former LNER A4 Pacific 60009 Union of South Africa is due to be in Lime St station from lunchtime Saturday to celebrate the Tall Ships event for anyone who wants a picture of it.

·
BAND
12,217 Posts
No surprise that the boat I'm sailing isn't on the photo's... think it's possibly the smallest 'tall ship' in the race ;)

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here endeth the first lesson................

Woody. A ship has three masts with square rigging on each one. Some of those are barques and schooners. :nono:
Well slap me down with wet kipper, there`s this ignorant landlubber,:eek:hno: who thought the " TALL SHIPS RACE" would result in a river teaming with SHIPS.
Is this another ****-up by those men in grey suits :lol:

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Tall ships and sea shanties ahoy!

The Observer,
Sunday July 13,

The biggest gathering of tall ships in Europe takes place in Liverpool for four days from Friday, when more than 70 sailing vessels from countries as diverse as Brazil, Oman and Bulgaria will assemble at the city's Wellington and Albert docks to prepare for the five-week Tall Ships' Races to Norway.

The fleet's arrival kicks off a street party at the city's historic waterfront, which has undergone a £1bn makeover for Liverpool's year as Eurpean Capital of Culture. Visitors will be able to mingle with crews from around the world, and board the vessels to find out about life at sea and the work involved in sailing a tall ship.

The quay itself will be filled with street performers, exhibitions and music, including the Shanties Festival, a celebration of sea shanties, with performances on the waterfront and at venues throughout the city.

Next Monday, the ships will form up for a spectacular Parade of Sail down the Mersey before they head out on to the North Sea.

Further details from 0151 233 2008; tallshipsliverpool.co.uk
:cheers:

·
Registered
326 Posts
im really looking forward to this!

i get into manc from tehran at 10:20am (Monday) and i've arranged with my parents to go straight to see the tall ships - then onto a walkabout to see how liverpool has changed in the last 6 months!:D

does anyone know when exactly the tall ships will sail off on Monday? I'd expect not until early afternoon? (i hope so!)

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
^^

Parade of Sail
Monday 21 July
2pm - 4pm

Vessels will depart from Albert Dock ready to form up for the parade from 11.30am on Monday 21 July.

Liverpool's sail trainees will be at the head of the parade on Stavros S Niarchos, right behind HMS Argyll.

Please note that the Ships at Wellington Dock will be closed to the public on Monday 21st July.

The final Parade of Sail is on Monday July 21st at 2pm and lasts about one and a quarter hours. The best viewing points for the parade on the Liverpool side are from the Britannia Pub, northwards along Riverside Drive, Riverside Walk/Kings Parade, Kings Dock/Albert Dock; Princes Parade north of Pier Head (although Royal Navy ships including RFA Lyme Bay berthed at the new Cruise Liner Terminal landing stage could obscure views) Wirral side viewing from Woodside Ferry, Birkenhead, New Brighton/Wallasey Promenade. The veteran excursion ship m/v Balmoral, of Waverley Excursions, and the Mersey Ferries will offer Parade viewing cruises.
From here - http://www.tallshipsliverpool.co.uk/parade-of-sail

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Witness a Ship Spectacular

From 18 – 20 July Liverpool will host the start of the Tall Ships’ Races 2008.

Vessels can be viewed from 12noon - 10pm on Friday and at 10am-10pm on Saturday and Sunday at Wellington and Albert Docks.

The Parade of Sail takes place on Monday 21 July from 2pm. With over 60 sailing vessels filling Liverpool’s quaysides, docks and the Mersey with street entertainment galore this will be a visual extravaganza to remember.

To help you navigate yourself around this spectacular free event there is an Official Programme on sale for £4. This is available from all good newsagents in Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales Tourist information outlets, (in other words across the region to which Liverpool belongs sans political interference) Mersey Ferries and vendors throughout the Tall Ships event. There is also commemorative merchandise available to purchase online.

To make your day as enjoyable as possible you can download the How to get to the Tall Ships' Races Guide, which includes information about parking, public transport, and the park and ride services available.

As well as the ships coming back to the Mersey, so are the shanty songs! Shanties 08 will feature dockside shows from the world's best shanty performers throughout the Saturday and Sunday.

And there's a showcase concert of festival headliners on Saturday evening at the Novas Contemporary Urban Centre, Greenland St, Liverpool. For tickets call 08444 77 1000 anytime or get them online.

This is sure to be a high water mark in Liverpool's European Capital of Culture celebrations. Don't miss the boat!
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts