Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...are Paris, London and Berlin.
Why are so much tourists interested in these three citys. Why would you chose this cities for your visit in Europe above others? What's so special...? :)

Do these cities symbolize Europe these days the most?

Edit:
for the non-believers, Berlin is truely ranking on third position.

"Berlin, of course, is already becoming a European leader in tourism. With a record 15 million overnight stays in 2005, Berlin has become the third most visited city in Europe after London and Paris. Tourists now spend almost €3 billion a year in the German capital."

Spiegel.de

For more sources scroll down, please. ;-D

·
Banned
6,813 Posts
Forza Raalte said:
Well, I actually don't think Berlin is in this list. Paris and London are the top two withouth any doubt but I think cities like Amsterdam, Barcelona, Moscow and maybe even Milan are more visited than Berlin. Maybe even Frankfurt is more visited.
No no no no no...:( No no no, no no, no no! Absolutely not!

Frankfurt does only attract some economics and of course skyscraper fans, which aren't a lot.

I would like to add Vienna, Praha, Istanbul, Rome and Istanbul to the list.

But honestly I think Barcelona deserves the third place. The fourth place would be for Amsterdam of course:D

·
Registered
meow
10,263 Posts
Tiaren said:
...are Paris, London and Berlin.
Why are so much tourists interested in these three citys. Why would you chose this cities for your visit in Europe above others? What's so special...? :)

I thought 1st was Paris and Barcelona 2nd.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Dr. Dubai said:
No no no no no...:( No no no, no no, no no! Absolutely not!

Frankfurt does only attract some economics and of course skyscraper fans, which aren't a lot.

I would like to add Vienna, Praha, Istanbul, Rome and Istanbul to the list.

But honestly I think Barcelona deserves the third place. The fourth place would be for Amsterdam of course:D
I don't say the city of Frankfurt attracts that many tourists. The city is a hub for a lot of destinations in Frankfurt. I actually agree with you. A lot of people on this forum say/think that Frankfurt is such a great city, it really isn't. The skyline is wonderful but the city doesn't offer the metropolis feeling which you might expect from a city with such a great skyline. Frankfurts great skyscrapers are 95% commercial ones. Most of them are owned by big banking companies.

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,535 Posts
Forza Raalte said:
I don't say the city of Frankfurt attracts that many tourists.
Infact I've never met a person (who has been to Frankfurt) who considers Frankfurt being a beautyful city.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Berlin is definitely the third most visited city in Europe since 2004! You can surely trust me or this sources:

"Tourism boom in Berlin

Berlin, of course, is already becoming a European leader in tourism. With a record 15 million overnight stays in 2005, Berlin has become the third most visited city in Europe after London and Paris. Tourists now spend almost €3 billion a year in the German capital."

Spiegel.de

"During the past few years, Berlin has changed more than any other city in the world. In 2004, around 5.92 million visitors spent 13.26 million nights by the Spree. This makes Berlin Europe's third most popular city after London and Paris. We warmly invite you to discover Europe's most exciting city with its unique atmosphere, attractions and history - and there is plenty to discover."

berlin-tourist-information.de

"Berlin is Germany’s most-visited city and in 2004 surpassed Rome to become the third most popular destination in Europe."

berlin-airport.de

And beautiful Rome follows on place 4.

Can we now come back to the topic? :)

·
South East Nine
39,895 Posts
Tiaren said:
Why are so much tourists interested in these three citys.
There are because the cities have:

Beautiful Architecture - Eiffel Tower, Le Louvre, Big Ben, St. Pauls, the Reichstag etc.
Culture - West End, Theatres of Paris etc.
Shopping - Paris and London are fashion capitals. Berlin is also good for shopping I hear.
History - Brandenburg Gate, Palace of Versailles, Tower of London etc.
as well as nightlife etc.

Tiaren said:
Its hard to find a city that overall symbolises Europe. For history you could say Rome or Athens, for finance London and Frankfurt, for the arts Paris etc.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
But that's the thing. You're pushed to find examples for Berlin, whereas they come easily for Paris and London. I've visited Berlin and I love it but it's anything but beautiful. The Bauhaus, second Reich, third Reich, Stalinist and modern architecture come together wonderfully but the effect is mismatched and rather ugly. That's its charm.

I don't think Paris has more going for it in "the arts" than London. London has the best theatre in the world, probably the best popular music scene in the world and some world class galleries. On the basis of just galleries, I'm sure Amsterdam comes pretty close to Paris. However, this is in danger of becoming city versus city...

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,535 Posts
Berlin is interesting especially for people interested in 20th century history.
And also interesting for people interested in alternative "bohemian" lifestyles and "underground" arts.

·
Resurrected
25,484 Posts
schmidt said:
I thought 1st was Paris and Barcelona 2nd.
Me too and I was quite sure about it. But maybe you have also to differ, if the people come to visit a city for A - Business Reasons, B - Holidays, C - Day Trips, D - Transit. Frankfurt, Milano, Zurich, Moscow, Geneva, Köln, Berlin... have probably more attraction for A and D trippers ;)

·
Resurrected
25,484 Posts
Grrrrrrrrr! I know I know - but at least I have seen Salzburg, Innsbruck, Bregenz and Villach :cheers:

Vienna IS definitly on my list...

Berlin, Milan and Moscow are for sure also touristic places, but I think the number of people visiting the city for business reasons is higher. Maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Forza Raalte said:
Definatley not!! London attracts a lot of tourists all over the world. It is the #1 destination in Europe.

Those statistics are based on hotel rooms rent by foreigners, greater London (7million) has more tourists than the city of Paris (2million), but Ile de France has more as a whole :)

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Forza Raalte said:
Definatley not!! London attracts a lot of tourists all over the world. It is the #1 destination in Europe.
Well if we go by nations statistics, Paris would be well in the lead. After all, how many people visit france and UK without going to London/Paris.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Petronius said:
Lisbon has 14 million overnight stays and 5 million tourists a year. I think you need to revise your data.
I am really getting tired of this...:-(

Imho are 15 million more than 14 million, right? So...what's the problem?
Berlins tourism is rising every year...and this year, the year of the Worldcup, there will be an new record.

Sorry, Berlin may not be as beautiful as other european capitals, but now its starting to outnumber those in tourism for other reasons :) :) :)
Of course it wont catch up Paris or London, because theres a huuuuuge gap between those symbols of tourism and Berlin and the other capitals of Europe.

Maybe I should change this Topic in: just Paris an London... :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.