Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weather here in Toronto has been cool and rainy lately, but the last few days have been excellent. You may have heard about the garbage and city workers strike in Toronto, which halted ferry service, but that has thankfully been resolved and the city is all cleaned up once again.

I took the opportunity yesterday to visit North America's largest urban car free community, the Toronto Islands.

I hope you enjoy. :banana:

The walk down to the ferry terminal. This is the newly completed Simcoe wavedeck, a small part of the revitalization of the waterfront.

Two projects under construction in the background are Maple Leaf Square and Telus tower.

This is the intersection of Queen's Quay and Yonge street, which is the beginning of the longest street in the world (1900 kilometres).

The ferry starts to depart.

The early morning crowd as they enter the park.

Centreville, a small amusement park for kids.

One of my favourite rides when I was younger.

One of the beaches on Centre Island. Typically the island doesn't get busy until around noon, which is why no one is in this shot.

This is the bridge over to Algonquin Island, which is where many of the residents live.

This is one of the many small streets leading down to the homes. At the end is a beautiful view of the skyline.

Back to the mainland, where parking is limited:

Maple Leaf Square and Telus once again.

:cheers:

·
18,389 Posts
Great pictures. I want to see the Toronto Islands myself in a couple weeks, and this solidifies that.

How long did the ferry ride take? How long did it take to wander around the islands?

I like that picture with your camera close to the sand. Having been on beaches on lake Erie, I've looked across at the American side and have seen the Allegheny Mountains in the distance. While I love that view, the one picture of yours is like taking the beaches that I am familiar with and added a vista that is on steroids. It's great.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long did the ferry ride take? How long did it take to wander around the islands?
The ferry ride is short, I'd say about 5 minutes. I only walked from the Centre Island ferry dock to the Ward's Island dock, which is about 3 kilometres. With exploring the houses and wandering around, it probably took about an hour and a half. If you wanted to see all sections of the island from one end to the other, it would probably take a couple hours at least. You can rent a bike and other modes of transportation if you want to cut down on the time.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Absolutely fantastic shots, Marcanadian.

... The public art/statue at the bottom of Yonge Street looks like a part of the male anatomy, if you know what I mean...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts