SkyscraperCity banner

:horse:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Épater la Bourgeoisie
23,321 Posts
The Tower Of London

- The White Tower was commissioned by William I of Normandy (William The Conqueror) as a stamp of his authority on London following his successful invasion of Britain in 1066 which effectively ended England's Anglo-Saxon period and ushered in the reign of the Normans.
- The White Tower is the centrepiece and most recognizable building of The Tower of London complex.
- The White Tower is around 27.4 metres (90 feet) high to the battlements with walls up to 4.5 metres (15 feet) thick at the base.
- The building is constructed from Caen stone brought from Normandy.
- The White Tower is one of both London's and Britain's most famous buildings and as part of the Tower of London, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The White Tower is so-called because it was once whitewashed.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
You can't rate that, it'd be like rating Stone Henge. We're so divorced from the world that created it that we can't make any kind of relevent judgement.

I always thought it was let down by it's location though. It should be higher, on a hill, separate from the bustle and mess of the streets below.

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
No more powerful a symbol of French domination over the English people exists.

:rofl:

·
Rock Lord
12,957 Posts
Cherguevara said:
I always thought it was let down by it's location though. It should be higher, on a hill, separate from the bustle and mess of the streets below.
I believe it's proximity to the river was the key for building it where it they did.

·
Registered
491 Posts
B.E.A.UTIFUL

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
A historical masterpiece in the middle of a modern metropolis - 9/10

1 - 20 of 32 Posts