Senior Button Pusher
17,120 Posts
The Trump Building
New York, USA

HEIGHT: 283m/927 feet
FLOORS: 71 floors
COMPLETION: 1930
ARCHITECT: H. Craig Severance

40 Wall was built in 1928-1930 for the Bank of the Manhattan Co. The building will be best known for its race for the world's tallest building neck to neck with the Chrysler Building. Built simultaneously with the rivaling building, the 71-storey 40 Wall was completed with a pyramidal top and lantern at 282.5 m, the builders being certain that they'd won. But as the Chrysler Building was suddenly topped with a steel spire, it was left to hold the second place in skyscraper rankings. (Although according to the Real Estate Weekly, the building still holds the title of the "tallest mid-block building".) The building plot was combined from seven parcels of land and the ground was broken in May 1928, a year before the Bank of the Manhattan moved in.

The Depression affected also the 40 Wall and the building stood half-empty until the end of WW II when it attracted several notable firms as tenants. In the late 1980s, the leaving of the Morgan Guaranty Bank from the building to its new headquarters left a 19,000 m² gap to its rentable space that still affects the economy of the premises. At worst, the building has had only about 10% of its office space rented. Like the Empire State Building, the 40 Wall has also been hit by an aircraft: in 1946 a US Coast Guard plane hit the building in fog, killing four people.

The 83,900 m² building was acquired by Ferdinand Marcos in 1982, and although it changed hands twice after that, any plans for renovation (admittedly, quite ambitious too) were discarded as too costly. Donald Trump bought the building in 1996 and started a massive, and badly needed, renovation in the building (arch. Der Scutt). Trump renamed the tower, "The Trump Building". Originally intended as a half-commercial, half-residential property, with the lower 35 floors for offices and the top 35 for apartments, the "new" 40 Wall was after all retained as a commercial-only building.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Nice looking building, but stomped on by ESB and Chrysler, but very nice afrt deco design.

8/10

·
Banned
14,132 Posts
A very handsome building, the decorative accents carried through the entire fassade. I'm tough on 10s, so here's a 9 or 9.5!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Don't like this style, but a decent attempt. 5/10.

btw is this the building that was the reason for them putting the spire on Chrysler?

S

·
0 Posts
7/10. The design is a little incongruent. Most of the building looks very 1930 art deco, like a junior Rockefeller Center, but the copper spire looks like it was lifted from a design circa 1910.

E

·
0 Posts
btw is this the building that was the reason for them putting the spire on Chrysler?
This was indeed the building Chrysler was competing with to be the world's tallest back in the late 20's.

A nice building but it's never really quite stood out despite the height. I think this was the end of an era while the Chrysler ushered in a new one.

7/10

D

·
0 Posts
I didn't realize Trump Owned this tower. We should tell him to restore that decorative top, like they did with the Statue of Liberty. Clean it up a bit, so it doesn't appear stained and unkept.

I gave it a 9 for being a more beautiful Art Deco design than the Empire State Building, but I reserve 10 for the Chrysler Building alone.:angel1:

·
Registered
403 Posts
7/10 - nice design, but it doesn't catch my attention as forcefully as, say, ESB or Chrysler. And I'm not quite sure how well the top of the tower matches the rest of the building.
BTW - Just how many buildings does The Donald own, anyhow?
(And yes, he should do something about the top of the tower)

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
there aren't to many art deco skyscrapers in the world to begin with...a classic design from a golden era but the building looks like it has seen better days and I do like the copper top.....8.5/10

1 - 20 of 396 Posts