SkyscraperCity banner

CURRENTLY the UK's best skyline is....?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some options on here may sound a bit weird but they're here because there is some sort of unusual or different skyline there.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Best Skyscraper Skyline = Canary Wharf

Best Overall Skyline (taking into account historical landmarks, other buildings, setting, etc) = The City

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The City for me, Canary Wharf may be taller, but the buildings are so boxy, samey and sterile, blandness.

The City is more random, conflicting shapes, different styles from different eras all in one place, far more interesting to look at. Plus it has tons of churches and the world famous St. Pauls cathedral.

btw, 'Salford' has about 3 different skylines..............and those are just residential commie blocks or mostly average residentials, shouldn't be on the list.

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
Traditional Skyscraper Skyline= CW, particulary from angles other than straight on.

Best Skyline= Well, there isnt really competition at all really, the City.

Although this could all change.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The more you look at the city skyline in the more interesting, exciting, and enriching it becomes. Everytime some new detail crops up adding a whole wealth of wonders to the history of such a relatively small area....

I particularly enjoy the view from the GLA, it shows the density and the buildings step up nicely from the riverbank....

Oxford's skyline really is stunning though, and it should really be marketed more in my opinion....

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
because there is a skyline which has lots of oil things, forgotten what they're called now, and its quite a developed industrial skyline, I don't particularly like it though...

·
Registered
76 Posts
i cant see how some places got on the list but after the city andcanary wharf id say liverpool not out of bias but i think it is genuinely more distinguished than any of the others

·
Registered
418 Posts
I prefer Edinburgh's because it is probably the most unique and dramatic.

·
Registered
16,733 Posts
I think portsmouth should be on here, with buildings like the spinnaker tower (170m) and east side plaza standing above the many wharf cranes it makes an interesting skyline, not to mention other office towers like europa house and zurich house. And then ahem the tower blocks.

·
Super Moderator
21,758 Posts
The City is much better than CW which is too boxy imo even though it is tall. Outside of London no cities have a great modern skyline really but Oxford's is very nice for historical buildings.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Most ideal and simply stunning: Oxford

Scrapers: Wharf (no brainer)

urban thrill and overall most exciting: The City

Love this view, the intensity and diversity is magnificent... from the old tower buildings bottom right to the small house like buildings just above to the massive ground scrapers, to the wall swinging from Minster Court around PLantation Place, to the towers at the back and teh details of buildings like lloyds... the odd spire adds so much character too...

·
Registered
30,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aberdeen, Widness, Stanlow, Thurrock, Barrow-in-Furness and Middlesbrough's skylines though are nowhere near as big as Imminghams though. Aberdeen, honestly? It has a few tall buildings and theres a good view from 15km away coming in from Elgin & Inverness on the A96? but most UK town and ities have them like that.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts