SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 367 of 367 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Just imagining being a tourist in LA. Where to stay? how to get to CC and Ktown. Riding the purple line. ugh................day dreaming in time of quarantine.

Rodeo station to Western station. drool.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
Just imagining being a tourist in LA. Where to stay? how to get to CC and Ktown. Riding the purple line. ugh................day dreaming in time of quarantine.

Rodeo station to Western station. drool.
Rent a car. To get to Griffith Park, Venice, Malibu, Inglewood, the Getty (Malibu and Brentwood), the Huntngton, most beaches and mountains you have to drive or value your time at about zero.

Leaving aside disease, dopers, vagabonds, etc., the subway is fine for DT, Ktown, Hollywood, much of SaMo and Pasadena. But it misses too much.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Rent a car. To get to Griffith Park, Venice, Malibu, Inglewood, the Getty (Malibu and Brentwood), the Huntngton, most beaches and mountains you have to drive or value your time at about zero.

Leaving aside disease, dopers, vagabonds, etc., the subway is fine for DT, Ktown, Hollywood, much of SaMo and Pasadena. But it misses too much.
I lived for quite a while in LA without a car. It was much more freeing that owning a car honestly. The actual public transit times on buses may be slightly longer than driving a personal vehicle, but saving time on finding a park spot is real. When it's late at night and buses/subways get sketchy, you have plenty of extra money for Lyft when you don't have car payments, gas, insurance, parking, maintenance, repairs, parking tickets, speeding tickets, etc. all that to account for. But the rail lines and rapid/limited bus lines are very useful and quite robust. I think LA's public transit coverage and ability is vastly underrated.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
I lived for quite a while in LA without a car. It was much more freeing that owning a car honestly. The actual public transit times on buses may be slightly longer than driving a personal vehicle, but saving time on finding a park spot is real. When it's late at night and buses/subways get sketchy, you have plenty of extra money for Lyft when you don't have car payments, gas, insurance, parking, maintenance, repairs, parking tickets, speeding tickets, etc. all that to account for. But the rail lines and rapid/limited bus lines are very useful and quite robust. I think LA's public transit coverage and ability is vastly underrated.
That's great as a lifestyle choice; probably a good idea.

But a tourist is there to see the city in x days and doesn't have additional time and/or money for more days in pricey hotels. So if he wants to stick to dense areas (say, Union Station to Expo Park; Hollywood and along Wilshire to Western) then definitely take the subway. And add-in Uber to extend your range. But even within LA, how long would it take to do Griffith Observatory, the Getty, the Huntington, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills, WeHo, SoFi Stadium, etc.? Rent your own car and save both money and time.

And if you want to see Santa Barbara, Malibu, Newport, Laguna, South Bay, Pasadena, mountains, etc., use a car and have lockable room for beachwear, towels, a jacket, hat, or a change of clothes if you decide to go more formal.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That's great as a lifestyle choice; probably a good idea.

But a tourist is there to see the city in x days and doesn't have additional time and/or money for more days in pricey hotels. So if he wants to stick to dense areas (say, Union Station to Expo Park; Hollywood and along Wilshire to Western) then definitely take the subway. And add-in Uber to extend your range. But even within LA, how long would it take to do Griffith Observatory, the Getty, the Huntington, Venice Beach, Beverly Hills, WeHo, SoFi Stadium, etc.? Rent your own car and save both money and time.

And if you want to see Santa Barbara, Malibu, Newport, Laguna, South Bay, Pasadena, mountains, etc., use a car and have lockable room for beachwear, towels, a jacket, hat, or a change of clothes if you decide to go more formal.
Yeah if a tourist wants to visit places inaccessible by public transit like the South Bay, OC, Malibu, etc. a car is required. But if the goal is Venice, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, WeHo, Hwood, DTLA, Pasadena, Universal Studios, then public transit is still an option for sure. A car rental is not mandatory for those types of trips. It may be helpful. But still not required.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
Not required; but it is economic nonsense. And closer to a form of punishment than an enjoyable break from a high pressure job.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
When I went to San Francisco as a tourist, I used nothing but transit. Cal Train to the local N Judas.
It was great. Went to Union Square. Got to Alcatraz dock and Giants stadium for a game vs Dodgers.

In LA, Hollywood and Santa Monica Beach are the two (main) draws. The Red Line and the Expo Line.

Went to NYC last fall. I used public transit for everything. Which was great but I regret not taking a taxi at least once so I can window watch the neighborhoods in Manhattan. The urban junky in me.

Reactions: Kenni
361 - 367 of 367 Posts