SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I said love, I said pet
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was shot from Brixton Hill in South London. Incidently it was taken from the building immediately next door to where I used to live.

Thanks to nickmilleruk on Flickr and Manuel on the UK forum.

·
LIBERTINED
83,212 Posts
I was in London this March... It was really cool, but maybe I expected too much from this city. Unfortunately there are real many ugly highrises and standard buildings, but slowly it seems to be getting better there. :)

Btw: The Pano is a real good piece of work! :D

·
I said love, I said pet
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Towards the bottom left of the picture you can see a couple of local landmarks, HM Brixton Prison and Brixton Windmill which dates from 1816 when Brixton was still an outlying village. The art-deco style flats in the bottom-middle are called 'Dumbarton Court' and are reputedly full of illegal brothels and 'working girls'.

Interesting Story:
In 1999 I lived directly opposite the the brick flats you can see close-up at the bottom right on the pano. My bedroom overlooked the road and these flats. One night around 1am I was asleep and dreaming. Suddenly, in my dream, a bomb went off. This woke me and as I was lying in bed I began to hear car horns blaring and raised voices. I opened the curtain to find one of the flats opposite completely consumed by a raging fire. It turns out the occupants had been experimenting with explosives causing, as you guessed it, an explosion. One of the steel framed windows had been blown out and an internal wall had also collapsed. The two men inside were critically injured.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.