SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ßANNED
4,234 Posts
Well, it's not proper rugby, but still good news I suppose :)

·
Silent but deadly
1,127 Posts
Much as I enjoy the sport itself, it's hard to get too excited about the RL World Cup with only three countries who have a realistic chance of winning. When it throws up such fixtures as Lebanon v Cook Islands ( a "highlight" the last time it was held over here) you wonder what the point of it is. Admittedly, the format used for the last one in Oz was better, but you still have to wait until the semi-finals before the serious action starts.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,677 Posts
They won the RU World Cup aswell,great news as we'll be hosting games for that but I don't think I could bring myself to sit through a game of RU,it's like watching paint dry in my opinion,still it'll be good for the local economy I suppose.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Excellent news that both the League and Union codes of Rugby World Cups will be held in 2013 and 2015 respectively in England (and across the UK in the case of RL). So was there any reason why the Rugby League World Cup was announced on exactly the same day as the Rugby Union World Cup thus clearly ensuring the Union gets extensively covered in the Londo-centric media whilst the RL World Cup is side lined or made invisible (which would have happened anyway but surely it could have stood more of chance of getting noticed if the host of the RL World Cup was announced a seperate day)?

Has there been a list of announced stadia yet for the 2013 RL World Cup and could both Elland Road and Headingley be used in a Rugby League World Cup in 2013 (as well as other West Yorkshire stadia such as Odsal, Valley Parade, The Galphram and possible new stadia for Castleford and Wakefield if they are ever completed for 2013)? Would games be mostly along the M62 corridor or would there be an attempt to have games played perhaps in the Midlands, South and in Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Also is anything going to be done to get the tournament noticed which could be seen by a lot of people as a "mickey mouse" tournament considering only 3 countries would have a chance of winning it and the general lack of interest the last time there was a Rugby League World Cup in England back in 2000.

At least it is also good news about the RU World Cup for 2015 which will see games at Elland Road (would this be the first ever Rugby Union matches to have taken place at Elland Road stadium?)

Is it known what sort of condition both Elland Road and Headingley will be for 2013 and 2015? Surely with the possibility of the Football World Cup coming to England in 2018 then I would imagine there should hopefully be at least start to see some extensive improvements to Elland Road prior to these tournaments which would be completed by 2018?

·
Registered
271 Posts
From an incoming visitor prospective, the RU cup is more important in my view. France for instance would bring thousands for the RU matches but the odd coach load at best for an RL match. There would however be more RL matches, as I am sure that Headingley, Elland Road and the Galpharm would all be used.

·
6,885 Posts
I would have thought the RU world cup would be much bigger news.
RL is important locally for local teams but I don't think international RL has so much of a following. international RU on the other hand seems to have a very big following.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something I am strongly an advocate of is having the 2 semi finals at the same ground over a single weekend (like the Magic Weekend). This would be very good at Elland Road or City of Manchester. Hopefully the former of the two would help promote the City of Leeds.

·
Man of Motion
608 Posts
Something I am strongly an advocate of is having the 2 semi finals at the same ground over a single weekend (like the Magic Weekend). This would be very good at Elland Road or City of Manchester. Hopefully the former of the two would help promote the City of Leeds.
Stuff the C of M. They don't even have a decent RL team.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts