Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Design - Design - Design
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new apartment block for Rosebank and this is going ahead quick. The tin went up around two old flats last week. The bulldozer has moved in and it seems they are prepping for demolition of both. The gardens have been chopped out and the skips have moved in. More photos of the site to come, but here's some info.

"To be situated on the corner of Bath and Tyrwhitt Avenues, the 10 storey development will be home to around 165 executive apartments that will be available in variety of configurations from one bedroom, one bathroom units to three bedroom, two bathroom apartments that also offer a study and luxury penthouses with a floor space in excess of 150 square metres."
From http://www.property24.com/articles/rosebank’s-new-apartment-development/18844

http://www.renprop.co.za/2013/12/09/new-exclusive-apartments-rosebank-vantage

:)

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Most of apartments here are already vacated.

·
Design - Design - Design
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update on this project. Its going, and going quick. Demolition guys have arrived and the first building of the site is basically down bar a thin piece of the front on Tyrwhitt Ave.
The pictures were taken over two or three days.
ciao for now.

·
Design - Design - Design
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quick map of the buildings coming down.

·
Design - Design - Design
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:
This construction is absolutely full steam ahead. All the contracts seem to be to the smaller players, so I guess they have a point to prove :lol:
Ground works are happening, with a big crane up in the last few days.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
welcome back Jed, nice to see you on the prowl again :)

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
The modernist building that fell to made way for this bland development will be missed. More neglected beauties are falling in this street, replaced by cut-and-paste blocks - negatively impacting the varied streetscape

·
23,157 Posts
Which others are liklely to fall? All for development but against bland replacement of good buildings that represent certain ages

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
Which others are liklely to fall? All for development but against bland replacement of good buildings that represent certain ages
Chatfields is next on the demolition list. An amazing 1960s building with fascinating retro signage and sexy curves. Further down, a three story red brick building from the 1940s with beautiful balconies, parquet floors and red tile roof. It is slowly demolished through neglect, overgrown, vandalised and sad. Another loss for Johannesburg. Tyrwhitt Ave's appeal lies in its multiple layers of architecture, age and background. Now the same developer is building similar looking buildings all down the road. Blegh.

·
Crazy Loony Archistudent
125 Posts
I really do hate when developers, redo the same scheme 20 times, just with different colours, perpetuates the cycle of ugly urbanism

·
Design - Design - Design
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one is also about to be finished (so glad about this!) Been a lot of chaos for residents in Rosebank with this site - some poor building practice I'm hoping wont be repeated around. I wouldn't be surprised if someone fell through their bedroom wall the way these guys slapped some plaster to bits of brick... Will also try and get some snaps. The street interaction is not bad!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It looks done to me. Street interaction isn't bad like you say, but look at that substation... If I ever walk past I'll get better shots than these

·
South Straddie QLD
10,893 Posts
its a pity they couldent design these external walls in a way that makes electric fence not needed. South Africa blight on the world of architecture....electric fences

·
Barragan Rules!
71 Posts
R1.65m for a 50 sq.m 1 bedroom apartment. Pfffffft.
The only good thing about that price is that I can show it to prospective buyers when I am looking to sell my townhouse.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There are places in Sandton with a purchase price of R 2.6 mil for a 40m2 apartment. Developers are crazy and its not surprising that they're not selling out the way they were a few years ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts