SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Could be a real shot in the arm for the neighborhood. This (along with the law school) is about as far toward Westlake as new development goes; hopefully new housing and services will expand toward Lafayette Park and beyond to DT.

Interesting to see if anything goes on south of there along Vermont. A busy commercial area, but with lots of older, seedier stuff.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I've been saying it for years. Westlake will be one of the premier neighborhoods in the city in about 10-15 years. This is not Westlake sure enough but the march east from Koreatown and the future expansion of DTLA will make Mac Arthur Park so much more desirable for people with money.

Reactions: subwaywhore

·
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
849 Posts
"The Vermont will provide approximately 35,000 square feet of retail space, 464 market-rate apartment units, and 910 indoor parking spaces." The towers will be 22 and 28 stories and there will also be a quarter-acre central courtyard."
I'm glad all these 20+ story buildings are sprawling all around.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
I've been saying it for years. Westlake will be one of the premier neighborhoods in the city in about 10-15 years. This is not Westlake sure enough but the march east from Koreatown and the future expansion of DTLA will make Mac Arthur Park so much more desirable for people with money.
Agreed; Westlake is going to be a classic urban area; its already reminiscent of some districts of mid-sized midwest and eastern towns: some highrises, some commercial, dense low-rise housing and lots of historic buildings surrounded by patches of greenery. Interesting to watch what the new wave looks like.

btw, Ktown seems well on its way to going from DT to BH. The Miracle Mile is getting Korean signs and residents in the upscale condos on/off Wilshire. I'm guessing that the Wilshire corridor broadens and fills in, except where sfh's are well-established.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Hancock Park will be an interesting urban "break" heading west along Wilshire from Ktown. When viewing that area from the Observatory developments abuts HP on both sides east and west. It really seems like a logical place for a central park.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice shots. It looks like the graffitiers have already struck, but it's LA, we should expect that, ..right?

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Nice shots. It looks like the graffitiers have already struck, but it's LA, we should expect that, ..right?
Funny you mention that since it struck me as well. Especially since I had just seen sites on the westside that were completely graffiti free. I won't say where so the taggers don't find them.

·
Deep State
893 Posts
Nice to see this one moving along. That highrise next to it reminds me so much of the Bank of America building.

·
甘い
141 Posts
I'll get some pictures myself from this construction, it's only about 5 min from where I live.

I'm glad these buildings are starting to pop up on Wilshire. It will keep on defining Wilshire Boulevard as one of the key boulevards on the city due to these buildings. Just like Sunset Boulevard and those palm trees defining Sunset, these buildings will define Wilshire making it as some sort of corridor between Downtown, West LA, and Santa Monica.

By comparison, here is a shot circa 1920 from that building on the corner of Virgil and Wilshire Blvd and a recent shot from the Asbury Hotel or the Town House, I believe.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts