SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some views of the wonderful victors Furniture Building that stood in Buffalo from the 20's until it was torn down for the Hyatt Hotel in the mid 80's. It was not great architecture but it was a great urban building. It had a gleaming white terra cotta skin with very subtle details. It sat on a very very dense urban block. Most of the block was cleared for the hotel. The equally nice Genesee building was saved and restored for the main part of the hotel. A new bland copy of the Genesee was put up in place of the Victor as additional hotel rooms. Hope you enjoy:

The fabulous massive building was also demolished for the hotel. The red brick highrise in the background is the Genesee building. that portion was saved for hotel rooms.

This is the entry to the Genesee building.

A glass atrium was built over the street encompassing this part of the facade. here is the entry today.

Atrium

This is the back of the hotel. This area now serves as a drop off drive. It used to be filled with buildings.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Damn- the Victor was impressive! Great pics Steel. I didn't know that the WHOLE block where the Hyatt stands was solid building- looks like where the Hyatt's loop/driveway are located now was also occupied by structures. And, there was a building where Olympic Tower's atrium (the old Y) is now!

Terra cotta is a great building material- I wish it was used more in new buildings.

·
Frustrated Male Model
464 Posts
Was there like some sort of giant STUPID cloud that hovered over the United States during the 70s and 80s?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow, Victor and the Other one are awsome looking here. I imagine that there was absolutely nothing wrong with them other than that they happened to be built in an odd block which confused the locals so they tore them down...Damn them to hell for those sins.

Thanks for posting these photos.

Do you have like a HUGE archive or something or do you have links to get all this stuff? let me know.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
steel said:
I have a huge collection of buffalo housing but not too much on old downtown. I have to look in a few more spots. I might find some more interesting stuff
I'd love to see your Buffalo housing collection, you should make a thread.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Go drink a six-pack!
1,014 Posts
WestSideJohn said:
Was there like some sort of giant STUPID cloud that hovered over the United States during the 70s and 80s?
Beats the original plan, which was t tear down the entire block for a Portman-style Hyatt Regency. It was going to be a plain box with a signature Hyatt centeral atrium. They were set on a hotel for that block; it was close to what was the new convention center.

The Genesee building was in rough shape at the time. I think Victor's was still open, but they were considering closing the store anyhow. Victor's couldn't be incorporated into the Genesee because the floors didn't line up.

It's amazing to think that a furniture store would have occupied an entire multi-story building in a city center at one time.

What was truly stupid was the Golddome building and its blank concrete wall. What the hell they were smoking, I don't know, but I really want to try some.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Are you talking about the back of the M&T Center building? the newer one that is?

I agree it looks a little odd, but at the same time...odd is not bad. There are other more obvious complains within downtown without picking on this building I'm sorry.

Ugly Buffalo...

AM&A's
Dulski Federal
City Court Building
Donovan State Offices
Main Place Mall (not the tower)
Buffalo Convention center

and ofcourse the biggest mistake in Buffalo was the altering of the radial street plan and adding a train to main street and taking the cars off.

I would like to go slap alot of these pricks in the mouth for these mistakes.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I don't think the train on Main St is the mistake. I do agree that the removal of traffic from Main St is a/the problem.

Maybe in and of itself, the train isn't that great, and poorly conceived. That being said, however, I think now it poses an excellent opportunity to turn around that "mistake" and make it the centerpiece of a resurgent Main St (w/ cars of course). Might take until 25 years after being built, but I think it'll earn it's keep. A mistake doesn't always remain a mistake (and vice versa, of course).

Next thing I would hope for is an expansion, say to either UB North or the Airport, or both. There does seem to be a decent level of support for something like that. That would seem to go alot further to validating the whole system.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
well in a situation like this, I would say...if you already have it, you might as well make it fully functional. I too support running the line to BNIA and UB North. I also still stand behind my idea of making NYCentral terminal the hub for NFTA so that the rail line could run thru the east side as well. Because it's a "metro" rail...having it stop at the Galleria, Eastern Hills and Boulevard Malls would be a cool concept as well.

all in all the system needs to create a loop and incorporate all the "important" locations for travel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts