Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just noticed this yesterday surfing through the internet.

Thaicom 5 Launches Successfully

Nonthaburi , Thailand – Shin Sa tellite Public Company Limited successfully launched Thaicom 5 into orbit at 18:09 hrs ( 04:09 hrs Bangkok time), 27 May (28 May in Bangkok ) 2006 from the Spaceport at Kourou, French Guiana, in South America . The launch, onboard an Ariane 5 ECA rocket, was a complete success.

The satellite will take 10 days to achieve its final geostationary orbit at 78.5 degrees East where it will be tested prior to the commencement of commercial use.

Thaicom 5 is a Spacebus 3000A model by Alcatel Alenia Space of France . It has a footprint covering four continents. It will be used for broadcasting, especially Direct-to-Home television and High Definition TV, and telecommunications.

Source: http://www.thaicom.net/eng-press/news-press.html




Imagine the next two years with a new cable TV provider (of-course run by Shin Corp since they do not have any share in UBC anymore--this may be the possible reason for the action)

P.S. UBC is now UBC True
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Um...Interesting,so how long will we have HDTV in Thailand? I'm tired of UBC TRUE's quailities. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If all from ShinSat (Does this company count as Thai? Or singaporean =p ),
- Thaicom 1A
- Thaicom 2
- Thaicom 3
- IPstar
- Thaicom 5
 

·
Serving the Country
Joined
·
969 Posts
ShinSat is under ShinCorp and when the sale of ShinCorp was made to Temasek Holdings, ShinSat was sold to the Singaporean Govt investment arm too.

Hence, strictly speaking... ThaiCom 5 isn't Thai owned since February this year.
 

·
BANGKOK
Joined
·
13,331 Posts
Zoowatch said:
ShinSat is under ShinCorp and when the sale of ShinCorp was made to Temasek Holdings, ShinSat was sold to the Singaporean Govt investment arm too.

Hence, strictly speaking... ThaiCom 5 isn't Thai owned since February this year.
Oh!! This is an example of the darkside of globalization, really scary. :runaway:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
เท่าที่ฟังข่าวมานะครับ
หลังจากที่ sattellite ได้เข้าสู่วงโคจรได้ 15 ชั่วโมง ก็จะถูกโอนเป็นทรัพย์สินของประเทศไทยครับ
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
195 Posts
ของประเทศหมายความว่าอะไรครับ? แล้วใครเป็นคนควบคุม? รัฐบาลเหรอครับ? หรือว่าแค่เหมือนจดทะเบียนในประเทศไทยอะไรอย่างนั้น???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,621 Posts
ผมไม่แน่ใจว่าจะเทียบกับกรณีสัมปทานน้ำมัน/แก๊ส ในอ่าวไทยได้หรือปล่าว

เชฟรอนได้ครองสัมปทาน มีสิทธิ์ในการสำรวจ ขุดเจาะ ผลิต บริหารจัดการการผลิตน้ำมัน/แก๊สในอ่าวไทย
แต่น้ำมัน/แก๊สในอ่าวไทยทั้งหมดที่เชฟรอนผลิตได้ ก็ยังถือเป็นทรัพย์สมบัติของประเทศไทย

และถ้าหากเชฟรอนต้องการจะทำอะไรที่สำคัญ ที่มีผลต่อปริมาณสำรองเช่นการสละหลุมผลิต เชฟรอนจำเป็นต้องขออนุญาตจากกระทรวงเป็นครั้งๆไป
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume that it would be like Dish here. Where you need to have sattelite receiver (a dish) and connect your set-top box and TV with HDMI port.

I wish Thailand will have one soon, as plasma screens are frekken cheap in Thailand and are now widely used.
 

·
[C][H][¡][N][K]
Joined
·
57 Posts
fridaynightlights said:
I assume that it would be like Dish here. Where you need to have sattelite receiver (a dish) and connect your set-top box and TV with HDMI port.

I wish Thailand will have one soon, as plasma screens are frekken cheap in Thailand and are now widely used.

Sound expensive if you're an average thai-citizen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ShinSat eyeing HDTV services with Thaicom 5

Jun 2, 2006
Telecom Asia Daily

(The Nation via NewsEdge) Shin Satellite said its Thaicom 5 satellite would be used for high-definition TV services once it begins commercial operations in July.

CEO Dumrong Kasemseth further said only 40% of the transponders on the new satellite were for new customers, as clients currently using Thaicom 3 would take up the remaining 60%.

The $101 million satellite was successfully launched Saturday and the company is preparing, as planned, to capture the high-definition TV market in the region. Arianespace launched Thaicom 5 from French Guiana. It followed eight months after the launch of the $400 million Thaicom 4, or iPSTAR, which headed into space last August 11.

Dumrong described Thaicom 5 as a conventional satellite focusing on television broadcasting, direct-to-home and high-definition television.

"We are targeting new customers in the region with new technology HDTV, which provides more than four times clearer and brighter pictures," he said.

© 2006 The Nation

© 2006 Dialog, a Thomson business. All rights reserved
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top