1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Walbrook

Height : 38m
Floors : 8
Developer: Minerva Plc
Architect: Foster and Partners
Completion : 2009

The scheme will provide some 415,000 sq ft of offices incorporating trading floors. Retail and restaurant accommodation amounting to 40,000 sq ft will be located along the 50 metre Cannon Street frontage directly opposite the main entrance to Cannon Street station.

Currently the three existing buildings on site are being demolished after which The Walbrook will begin construction speculatively.

The current site back in March

·
Blackboard Monitor
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hope no one minds, but i thought I'd make a start on the new construction subforum.

I've stuck to the thread title system used in the world forums which I think are reasonably clear. Feel free to change it Will if you don't agree.

As for the building itself, well it's a ground scraper! I actually quite like it because it does have some curves and it is the first in a series of developments that will go a long way in helping to smarten up Cannon Street.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A rather interesting building without doubt, though I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I suppose it might grow on me as time goes by, though I have my reservations. Still as Luke said, I am sure that this is the first in a series of developments that will add a sense of refinement and class to Cannon Street.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Even though this is very low-rise, I actually love the design, the bubbly shape and steel sections look great. One groundscraper I think is worth building. That said it will be interesting to see the final product and if it matches the renders, or as most are very different.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
That gives a great perspective of the work that is happening in the area. Bucklesbury House (the big bugger to the right), is due to disappear in the next year or so, and then directly across the road is the Cannon Street Station development which is due to kick off this summer as Hines remove the office building above, and put in another new structure, echoing the black and steel skeletoned lattice design directly adjacent.

Plus, have a gander at the Coq D'argent roof terrace - its a stunner, and great to get views of lots of the developments underway.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Not to mention the Koolhass Designed NM Rothschild HQ which will be to the immediate North of this site which is due to start soon. If/when they are all built (& I hope the L&G scheme getting through planning ok) then there will be a fine collection of contempoary modern office blocks.

·
Futurist
38,693 Posts
Not to mention the Koolhass Designed NM Rothschild HQ which will be to the immediate North of this site which is due to start soon.
I've yet to see any decent renders of that.

If/when they are all built (& I hope the L&G scheme getting through planning ok) then there will be a fine collection of contempoary modern office blocks.
Hmm. They will block views of the skyline though.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Not really. I've yet to see a rendering where it blocks the view of other towers- It adds to the cluster from some angles but it doesn't dominate the view. Only the tower element of the scheme is around 100m which puts it on par with the SE tower which is nearby.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
There seems to be a lot of experimental architecture in this area with the Thameslink building (black one behind this site); the building designed to resemble a ship (has the roof gardens); the building intended for the site that includes remains of a roman temple and of course this one.
Any pictures of the buildings lost to build this?

·
Blackboard Monitor
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The offices were fairly non descript. Sadly I didn't take any pictures before the white wrap of death went up around the buildings.

Now that the buildings have completely gone you can get a sense of just how big a plot this will take up.

·
nrm the 2nd
333 Posts
This one is going to be in the ground for some time. Its going to take 4 months to complete the piled wall for a start, although further rigs due on site next week. First of 3 tower cranes will go up at end of August.

Mcgee have started the early phases of demo above Cannon Street. At the back of the building they have erected a steel gantry to start removing the old plant. Laing O'Rourkes are also mobilising their team on site. Fantastic engineering on this project. Being built in three blocks, the front block being hung in its entirety off the the middle block over the station entrance.

Also across Walbrook, demo will start on this in September. The package is currently out to tender with both Keltbray and McGees in the running

1 - 20 of 261 Posts