SkyscraperCity banner

241 - 260 of 286 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Meanwhile, in Forbes' Newcastle - the wagon came charging up Westgate Road this morning at four o'clock vigorously spreading road salt. The machines were very sparse when the snow was thick but when the temperature's three degrees C, with no risk whatsoever of ice, they blast on through. Crackers!
Precautionary gritting - better safe than sorry :cheers:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Precautionary gritting - better safe than sorry
Sometimes I think Newcastle pay you to spread good news about them. I didn't hear the gritter go past this morning, when there was a (very) light frost. It sounds like a bus from up here.
But there's a question of whether a person should point out when things are dropping to bits - recycling and waste is a good example - the Mobikes are another - or just look the other way and get on with catching some sunshine and listening to the birds sing.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Sometimes I think Newcastle pay you to spread good news about them. I didn't hear the gritter go past this morning, when there was a (very) light frost. It sounds like a bus from up here.
I would like to think that any comments I add to the discussion are pertinent and neither negative nor positive on how Newcastle City Council perform. I can confirm that I'm not paid by anyone in connection with contributions to this Forum.

On the matter of the early morning gritting which you highlighted, I put forward what I saw as an explanation. Northumberland County Council likewise were gritting their roads as a precautionary measure on the same morning, so it wasn't just Newcastle.

I would imagine that most councils take their weather advice from the same commercial source and would only expend costs on gritting if it was necessary.*

}But there's a question of whether a person should point out when things are dropping to bits - recycling and waste is a good example - the Mobikes are another - or just look the other way and get on with catching some sunshine and listening to the birds sing.
Of course any faults should be highlighted, after all its not all a bed of roses out there. However praise where praise is due, I'm sure there are things that the council are getting right, aren't there?

*Edit:

Found this on the Newcastle Council web site @ https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/environment-and-waste/emergencies/winter-weather-and-snow/apply-for-snow-clearance-or-gritting

How we get our weather forecasts

We have two weather stations located within Newcastle. These stations supply weather information to our weather forecast provider. This information is used to produce our weather forecasts which give:

An early morning indication of the next 24 hour weather forecast;
A 24 hour forecast which details expected weather conditions; and
A longer range two to five day forecast.

Page last updated:
1 February 2018

It is being reported that gritters will be laying down salt tonight (Thursday).

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
What's happened to the beach? Whitley Bay seafront left looking barren after severe weather

The Chronicle Live website on 09/03/18 are reporting the state of the beach at Whitley Bay following the recent Beast from the East event

EXTRACT

What's happened to the beach? Whitley Bay seafront left looking barren after severe weather

The Beast from the East and high tides have stripped away the sand from the popular North Tyneside beach and left behind a rocky landscape

When residents and visitors made their way back to the area once the weather improved, they came across a hard rocky terrain, numerous stones and pebbles as well as litter

Full article, includes image and short video on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/whats-happened-beach-whitley-bay-14390976

I assume Steve will be providing good pictures showing the situation in due course

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
^^^^
It’s a common occurrence when there has been a storm, as the Council say in the article, the sand will come back again.

A few years ago a storm blew in loads of seaweed onto the beach high caused a right stink and not to mention the flies. On that occasion the Council had to take it away.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Well it looks like The Beast From The East has been defeated and temperatures are heading to a tropical 10 degrees, but don't get too complacent as I do remember a bitterly cold snap in the third week of March in 2013 that appeared suddenly and caused problems for three days. Mind you, it was followed by a decent summer.:)
Also as this year is a World Cup year, summers tend to be good for some reason, and the last four summers the World Cup has been held were good.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Flood warning in force now Tyne Estuary at North Shields, South Shields and Howdon Pans

Courtesy of the Environment Agency @ https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/target-area/121FWT544
Flood warning in force now Tyne Estuary at North Shields, South Shields and Howdon Pans
16 March 2018

Flooding is expected - immediate action required

This warning is in place for the high tide in the Tyne Estuary at 3pm today (Friday 16th March). This warning principally relates to properties at Dolphin Quay where flooding is possible between 3pm and 5pm, however conditions may apply two to four hours either side of the high tide. Large waves and spray are likely, so take care near coastal paths and promenades. This may cause localised standing water on roads between Low Lights Promenade and the Western Quay. Do not drive through flood water or large waves. Adverse coastal conditions are currently forecast for the high tides on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. We are continuing to monitor the situation. This message will be updated by 10am on Saturday 17th March or earlier if the situation changes.

This information was last updated at 11:03am Friday 16 March 2018

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Public advised to take precautions as bad weather forecast

Press release from Northumberland County Council @ http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2018/Mar/Public-advised-to-take-precautions-as-bad-weather.aspx
Public advised to take precautions as bad weather forecast
16 Mar 2018

Northumberland County Council is once again ready for the wintry weather forecast for the weekend.

While teams are ready to keep disruption to a minimum, the public are also being advised to take precautions.

The forecast is quite unpredictable for the weekend, but there is likely to be freezing temperatures and some snow following the long period of rain on Friday, meaning potentially difficult conditions on roads and footpaths.

The council has over 100 staff involved in winter services covering 3,000 miles of county road and will be working through the night to treat the roads after the rain potentially turns to snow and ice.

However, the potential for heavy rain means salt laid down by gritters could be washed away, leaving roads at risk of icing over.

Councillor Glen Sanderson, Cabinet Member for Environment and Local Services, said: “We work closely with our partners in the emergency services at times of severe weather and are again ready to respond. Although it’s unclear how and if the weather will affect us this weekend, we would remind the public to take a little extra care when travelling, whether that’s by foot or vehicle. Conditions could be very cold and slippery and people should think about whether they need to be out and about, and if so be careful, especially when driving. People should also keep an eye on weather forecasts due to changing conditions over the coming days. It’s also useful to give another reminder for people to check on their neighbours if necessary or contact us if they have any concerns.”

The public can keep up to date on any issues via the council’s social media channels:

Twitter: @northumberlands

Facebook: www.facebook.com/nccalerts

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2018/Mar/Public-advised-to-take-precautions-as-bad-weather.aspx

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
At the risk of being an old grumbler may I point out that the West Road wasn't salted this morning nor through the day. The weather forecast was fairly simple but the road's now fairly snowed up.

As a p.s. - it doesn't look like the road was salted last night either. The first 38 bus, this morning, was three or four minutes late, driving carefully through the snow.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Fear not, temperatures will start to rise tomorrow and the forecast suggest it will be 6-7 degrees with rain at times during the week. However, this spring has got off to the coldest start since 2013, and the BBC outlook suggests anything springlike won't occur until April.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes, I've been following the greater weather picture as well. There's unprecedented weather left right and centre. Nobody was able to forecast what global warming meant, as it has never happened before. There's still twits convinced that there's global cooling happening and that we're falling into an ice age. The great amateur forecaster on YouTube has pointed out that summers ending in '8' are often crap, yet there's no reason why. He thinks we may discover a ten year cycle of something to explain it but there's nothing left. The U.S. are having a wacky springtime too. 90F in Texas, five feet of snow in parts of the midwest, other parts just recovering from floods. All breaking weather records.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Yes, I've been following the greater weather picture as well. There's unprecedented weather left right and centre. Nobody was able to forecast what global warming meant, as it has never happened before. There's still twits convinced that there's global cooling happening and that we're falling into an ice age. The great amateur forecaster on YouTube has pointed out that summers ending in '8' are often crap, yet there's no reason why. He thinks we may discover a ten year cycle of something to explain it but there's nothing left. The U.S. are having a wacky springtime too. 90F in Texas, five feet of snow in parts of the midwest, other parts just recovering from floods. All breaking weather records.
2008 was an awful summer with heavy rain most of the way through, but 1998 was a lot better. I think, though, being a World Cup year, we often get decent summers as 2014, 2010, 2006 and 2002 were good summers.

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Mini Beast from the East cold weather event, Tyneside - pictures 18/03/18

Some pictures by myself from Sunday 18/03/18 AM showing the snow etc associated with the Mini Beast from the East cold weather event around central areas of Gateshead and Newcastle

Not as severe as the event 2 weeks earlier

Some footpath areas free of snow where wind had blown the grains, others with about 2 inch cover, some with sheet ice where a Saturday melt had frozen overnight and some slush where had been salt spray from carriageway

Views into Newcastle from under the Redheugh Bridge when sheltering in a heavy shower

View east from Redheugh Bridge at south bank of the Tyne

St James Boulevard, Newcastle

St James Park & Barrack Rd

At Newcastle Castle Keep

East footpath of High Level Bridge, north end

Gateshead end of Tyne Bridge

High West St near Gateshead Civic Centre and Police Station

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
New river forecasts for Tynedale communities

Press release from Northumberland County Council @ http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2018/Mar/New-river-forecasts-for-Tynedale-communities.aspx
New river forecasts for Tynedale communities
19 Mar 2018

A new service which allows people in Tynedale to get forecasts for river levels to help them plan for flooding is now available.

It is being provided by the Environment Agency on the gov.uk website for the River Tyne at Hexham.

All communities can see observed data for river levels for the past five days. Now people living in the area can also see their future flood risk in a 36-hour river level forecast.The aim is to help communities be more aware of their flood risk and be able to plan for potential flooding incidents. The new river forecast is calculated by computer models that take into account data like current flows and expected rainfall.

Forecast information can change quickly so people are still advised to sign up for the Environment Agency’s free flood warning service to ensure they are notified if a warning is issued for their community. And residents and businesses can still get the most up-to-date and accurate situation from the live online map which updates every 15 minutes and details the current Severe Flood Warnings, Flood Warnings and Alerts in place.

Phil Taylor, from the Environment Agency’s Flood Resilience Team in the North East, said: “We are always looking at ways to use technology to better share information with people, and residents have told us that they would find it really useful to see these forecasts to help them manage their flood risk. We want people to know if they are at risk of flooding, be prepared, and take action to protect themselves and their families. A wealth of information is available on our website for people to find out if they are at risk and understand how to prepare.”

Everything residents and businesses need to know about how to check their risk and prepare for flooding is at https://floodsdestroy.campaign.gov.uk/

The new 36-hour river forecasting for Hexham can be found online at:

River Tyne at Hexham

The plan is to continue to refine the service based on feedback from users before rolling it out to other areas in the future.

People who live in areas where the 36-hour forecast is not available can still view data on river levels from the previous five days.

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2018/Mar/New-river-forecasts-for-Tynedale-communities.aspx

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Whitley Bay Sunshine

We've had a couple of days of Summer weather down here in Whitley Bay and its still only April. Good sign for the Summer or bad?

Photographs taken this morning, 20th April 2018. By the way the swimmers are from the Panama Swimming Club, brave souls as I bet the water is still chilly.

Unfortunate to see a warning about palm oil which appears to be sweeping down the Northumbrian coast.

© https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve-ellwood/

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Rainbow over Gateshead International Stadium - pictures 24/04/18

Pictures by myself from Tuesday 24/04/18 at approx 2000 showing rainbow & over Gateshead International Stadium as pictured looking east from the main stand at Gateshead FC v Ebbsfleet game

Not quite as intense as that on Saturday 30/09/17 - see http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=142649212&postcount=159

Pictures from that event

KEN

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There was a council gritter on the West Road early this morning. It went up, and then it came down again. Is this the latest known gritting and can I claim a record?

·
Registered
20,483 Posts
Storm Hector's 60mph winds on 14/06/18 leaves North East homes without power and causes travel disruption

A very windy day on Thursday 14/06/18

Article from Chronicle Live website on 14/06/18

EXTRACT

Storm Hector's 60mph winds leaves North East homes without power and causes travel disruption

Storm Hector swept the North East with 60mph winds causing power cuts and travel disruption .

Fallen trees blocked roads and rail lines across the region on Thursday.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/storm-hectors-60mph-winds-leaves-14786929

More events on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/storm-hector-met-office-live-14780383

Pictures by myself from Friday 15/06/18 approx 0900 showing damage at the former Co-op building, New Century House, now NE8, on West St, Gateshead where damage occurred at approx 1500 Thursday 14/06/18 at first floor level above Argos store

Virtually same position as where masonry panel of the Trinity Square Development was blown down in January 2015

See from post #1873 on https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1175839&page=94 to post #1912 on https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1175839&page=96

Picture of mine from post #1889 showing wind damage of 14/01/15

KEN

·
Adrian B
72 Posts

Man made global warming is not science, its politics. Climate forcing is all external. Public scientific funding on this issue is just political correctness.
Lobbied and funded by billionaire, not for the publics interest. BBC is part of the Collusion.

I know I will be attacked on the thread. This is another one of these scandals which people will have a very hard time deal with!

·
Adrian B
72 Posts

We are in fact in I period of global cool due to the start of the new grand solar minimum. The effects already can be seen, but hidden by the Main stream press.

1. the suns magnetic field is weakening, with the solar wind and the UV-C waves.

2. This will weakening the earth magnetic field, in turn lowering the Jet-stream to more lower latitude and to come more wave like. Causing more extremes in the mid-latitude. This can be seen with the extreme cold in the USA and other continental places like past few winters.

3. weak solar wind can make summers more windy and stormier. Due to the increase in galactic cosmic rays, electrically charging the storms

4. Prolonged weak magnetic field, with the jet-stream at lower latitudes and more wave like will allow polar sea currants to push south into the mid-latitudes.

241 - 260 of 286 Posts