SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Like whatever....
13,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brisbane Wheel @ South Bank

Hey guys,

I could not find a thread but there is a new ferris wheel under construction at South Bank. Its to be called "The wheel of Brisbane" and looks similar to the one at Seaworld.

Does anyone know about this or have any information.

It looks much better than the current one - which has been there since the mid 90's.

J

·
Like whatever....
13,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^
True - there are too many copy cat cities around the world these days.

But then again - we've had a wheel there for a decade or more, abiet a small one. This is just an upgrade.

Brisbane to get its own giant wheel

Brisbane is set to get its own version of the London Eye observation wheel.

The Big Wheel will be installed at South Bank by May 10 to mark celebrations for the 20th anniversary of World Expo 88 held in the Queensland capital.

The 60-metre wheel will give visitors and locals a new perspective on the city and its landmarks.

Premier Anna Bligh said the Big Wheel would come at no cost to taxpayers and would prove a great way to celebrate the anniversary of Expo 88.

"It was a time when this city really came to life, and most people will say it was the beginning of the modernisation of Brisbane from a big country town into the modern, cosmopolitan capital city it is today," Ms Bligh told reporters in Brisbane today.

"This will be a large potential tourist attraction in the inner city, so I expect to see a lot of people coming along and trying it out."

Weighing in at 365 tonnes, the wheel can carry 336 people in 42 gondolas.

Tickets will cost about $40 for two adults and two children, with single fares to be priced between $15 and $20 for an adult, and between $10 and $15 for children.

The wheel is expected to stay on site for the next two years, so it can figure in Queensland's 150th anniversary celebrations.
J

·
Like whatever....
13,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

^^
The pic above is from Soulvision on skyscraperlife.com - there are construction pics too.

J

·
Registered
860 Posts
This wheel will be a white elephant. Who is going to ride on it? Brisbane needs to nurture its own identity instead of trying to copy cliche attraction from other cities.
Pfft... At least it's something semi-fun for people to do. Don't be so self-righteous about Brisbane's identity. The whole of Australia is a mish-mash of varying other cultures, and what's wrong with taking the things that work in other places and giving them a local flair?

I for one am huuuuuuuugely excited about this. As long as the cost is reasonable. :cheers:

·
QUEENSLANDER!!!
3,692 Posts
no one rides the ferris wheel at the ekka except for familes with kiddies and teenage couples wanting to canoodle. at $15pp, theres no way i'd waste my money. it seems like someone is flogging a dead horse.

southbank is one of the most creative and revolutionising corporations in the world to have nurtured what they have since expo, but this seems to be copying something that has been done a million times before

·
Premium Member
15,010 Posts
I've been on the London Eye, and it is excellent. 130m tall, and each capsule is very big. Large enougth for about 20 people to walk around in. You get excellent views, I'd recomend it to anyone going to London and would love to have the same thing here.

But this project is trying to do it on the cheap, and it will be 1/10th as good at probably half the price. What a shame there is no one in Qld government with the courage to do it right.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.