SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tears of Buddha
1,421 Posts
The buddha statue in Lantau is 26.4 metres high.
Ushiku's buddha in Japan (120 meters high) is listed as 'world's tallest Buddha' on Guinness.

·
Whole Other Country
735 Posts
As what I know the Japan one is world "Tallest" buddha, the Hong Kong one is world "biggest" sitting buddha.

·
Tears of Buddha
1,421 Posts
other curious Buddhism statues in Japan.

Sendai Daikanon (100 meters high, statue only)

Awaji Kanon (80 meters high, statue only )

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i think there are sitting buddhas and standing buddhas, and we also have to differeiate between tallest and biggest(area?)

there's a news article on BBC that Indian has plans to bulid world's biggest Buddha in the village where Buddha actually died ( i mean nirvanaed) and i also heard the one destroyed in Afghanistan used to be the tallest (or biggest?)

anyways Buddhim used to have a very important to role in Japanese soceity, but since Meiji restoration, that role has been replaced by the traditioal Shinto. How much percentage of the Japanese population are Buddhists? are many people both Shintoist and Buddhists?

·
Trippy Mushroom man
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sen said:
i think there are sitting buddhas and standing buddhas, and we also have to differeiate between tallest and biggest(area?)

there's a news article on BBC that Indian has plans to bulid world's biggest Buddha in the village where Buddha actually died ( i mean nirvanaed) and i also heard the one destroyed in Afghanistan used to be the tallest (or biggest?)

anyways Buddhim used to have a very important to role in Japanese soceity, but since Meiji restoration, that role has been replaced by the traditioal Shinto. How much percentage of the Japanese population are Buddhists? are many people both Shintoist and Buddhists?

lots of japanese are

born and named from shinto
When get married, Jesus's blessing is received at a church.

and die in the hand of buddha

The japanese religion is also mixed so that Japanese culture may be a mix.

·
Trippy Mushroom man
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

This is 'seibo kannon'
seibo means 'saint mother=Maria Virgine'

seibo kannon is very major kannon statue in japan .
Buddhism of Japan has united with Christianity and Shinto.

This is maria kannon in AIZu wakamatsu city.会津慈母大観音像'AIZU JIBO KANNNON'

Is this visible to Maria?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts