Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
The Yorkville Residences (32 Davenport Rd at McMurrich) | Proposed | 31 st | ??? m | Midtown / Bloor-Yorkville

http://theyorkville.ca/

Courtesy of androiduk on UT.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 1H3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 201720 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 21, 2010

Project: Apartment Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 20-JUL-10, >>Proposal to construct a 31 sty condo with 238 units.

Courtesy of Solaris on UT (Oct 2009).

Developer is Lifetime Urban Development Group

To be considered by Toronto & East York Community Council on October 13, 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23834.pdf

This application proposes to demolish a two-storey office building, a vacant two-storey building, and a pair of two-and-a-half-storey semi-detached dwellings, and to construct a 28-storey residential building with a four-storey podium. The proposed building consists of 166 residential units and 165 vehicular parking spaces in five levels of underground parking accessible from McMurrich Street. The plan proposes six two-storey graderelated units along McMurrich Street. All servicing will take place internal to the building.

The proposed development has been found to be substantially in compliance with the development criteria for Mixed Used Areas, Apartment Neighbourhoods, Downtown, Public Realm, Built Form, and all other relevant Official Plan policies and urban design guidelines. Thus, this report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Zoning By-law.

Site Plan - shows the relationship to Domus + Florian

Elevations

In place of Moriyama & Teshima Architects' lovely headquarters and some dilapidated yet salvageable homes behind. Oh, the price of progress.

Courtesy of drum118 on UT.

·
39,929 Posts
I hope this one doesn't go through. There are about 100,000 other buildings I'd rather see taken down before these ones.

·
Blue Collar Bigwig
1,905 Posts
Whoa. Not quite sure what to make of this thing yet. It's very.....different.

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
At least the red part can be rationalized as vertical louvers for the eastern exposure. I would kill the protruding boxes and the red stripes on the south side, and instead stick some nice big horizontal louvers instead. The less generic-window-wall the better. It's too bad they didn't take full advantage of the angle in the site.

And...
The rose and bronze aren't doing it for me. Also protuding boxes are so done. How many towers have that roof line?
Agreed

·
Moderatee
1,096 Posts
^
^
^
WhipperSnapper? from SSP? (you can't cross reference forums -can you?)

The building is different, it's shameless -in geometry and colour. it does address the angle of the site -enuf and i don't think we've quite had our fill of protruding boxes yet despite all the current stuff in production. the comb-over makes me cringe... It suffers the 'trying to be a little everything for everyone' syndrome. It's silly, goofy, heavy handed. i don't "get it" but i can accept it wholly. (it just manages to "do it" for me whatever "it" is.) how many other ~30 storey buildings in this city can/will attract this much ado?

oh, and it's not in the core or lakefront -so it can be forgotten -if/when required!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It seems even high end developers are beginning to embrace the low budget cheap interpretation of modernsim, A windowall box with shifting balconies and grey spandrel glass.. the UT Gold Standard

I guess the days of developments like Minto Midtown are over, ya know, projects designed by architects?

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
it does address the angle of the site -enuf
Not enough to avoid blessing the city with yet another perfectly-rectangular roof expression. As a matter of fact, I think The Met is the only exception when it comes to new condos downtown.

you can't cross reference forums -can you?
I do it all the time :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts