Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a city's "coolness" measured by its Asian Immigrant population?

It seems like the coolest cities LA, NY and SF have big Asian populations?

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
No, coolness is measured by the size of a communities artistic community. The 3 cities above are only considered cool by virtue of their size. A truly cool city such as Albuquerque does not need size to be cool, it is just intrinsic there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it may be the other way around. I think a person's coolness quotient is driven by where they live. If you live in LA, SF or NYC, then you're automatically cool, simply by default. Being Asian, Latino, a dog, has nothing to do with it, see? Of course, because it is LA, SF or NYC, there's an inherent coolness factor that is essentially omnipresent, and something of course which no other city could aspire (esp. cities in you know, flyover country).

·
Banned
757 Posts
This is the shittiest self serving thread I have ever seen....a coolness factor, if you have to ask ......you ain't

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
For fun - I sent an e-mail to 8 co workers with the question - which city would you consider cool. I listed the 6 cities above, of 7 responses NO has 7 yes, Miami had 7 yes, vegas had 4 yes 2 no and one tacky, Boston had 2 yes and 5 no, Philly had zero yes, 5 no, 1 yuch, and 1 isn't that the place where the killers eat the victims, Chicago had 7 no's

My guess is that if you asked 500 average randomly selected Americans to name the top 5 coolest cities in the US that neither Chicago nor Philadelphia would ever come up. Especially Philadelphia, if it has any image at all (among the nation as a whole and not this site) it is one of chemical factories and oil refineries, that's all you see when you drive or fly through it. Big yes, cool no. Chicago, pretty much the same experience except it is known for a glitzy downtown.

·
Registered
778 Posts
SILVERLAKE said:

Let me guesss your asian, right?

·
Registered
872 Posts
SILVERLAKE said:

I agree that the three cities that you listed would be in my top five list of the coolist cities in the USA (totally subjective). In fact, I will stroke your ego and say that I would rank LA as the "coolest" city in the USA. However, that coolness has absolutely nothing to do with asian population. :weirdo:
"Coolness" is at best a mixed blessing though. It is that same "coolness" that make people think that LA is nothing but a city full of phonies and wannabe phonies.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Jerome said:
For fun - I sent an e-mail to 8 co workers with the question - which city would you consider cool. I listed the 6 cities above, of 7 responses NO has 7 yes, Miami had 7 yes, vegas had 4 yes 2 no and one tacky, Boston had 2 yes and 5 no, Philly had zero yes, 5 no, 1 yuch, and 1 isn't that the place where the killers eat the victims, Chicago had 7 no's

My guess is that if you asked 500 average randomly selected Americans to name the top 5 coolest cities in the US that neither Chicago nor Philadelphia would ever come up. Especially Philadelphia, if it has any image at all (among the nation as a whole and not this site) it is one of chemical factories and oil refineries, that's all you see when you drive or fly through it. Big yes, cool no. Chicago, pretty much the same experience except it is known for a glitzy downtown.
Yeah, Chicago and Philly are definitly not "cool" cities. They are both cool cities but not "cool" cities, if you catch my meaning.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
^^^As an outsider that's been to both NYC and LA enough to form an opinion, I think LA is "cooler" than NYC. Why? Because I like sunshine, cars, palm trees, being outdoors, mexican food, in & out burgers, girls in shorts, and mountains. Yes, I realize that I'm in the minority on this site, that's why I always feel the need to stick up for underdog LA when I think it's being ripped. It's cool with me if you've been to LA and it's just not your cup of tea, but I know that's not the case with most people here considering that almost all of the LA criticisms are just regurgitating well known LA stereotypes.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
xzmattzx said:
so i guess miami, chicago, las vegas, boston, philly, new orleans, etc aren't very cool cities. :|
Just for the record, Chicagoland has nearly 750,000 Asians. out of a metropolitan area of almost 10 million.

P.S.

I can't believe I repsonded to this thread. :bash:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There is nothing written in stone that lists which cities are cool and which aren't. Determining what city is"cool" or not is all subjective. It depends on what people prefer.

By the way, I think Philly and Chicago are cool.:)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Silverlake, your theory is flawed. The coolest city in America doesn't have a huge Asian immigrant population. :dunno:

"cool" is pretty subjective, like stated before. i think Des Moines, Iowa is cool...don't think many people would agree

·
5,837 Posts
The anti-cheesehead said:
^^^As an outsider that's been to both NYC and LA enough to form an opinion, I think LA is "cooler" than NYC. Why? Because I like sunshine, cars, palm trees, being outdoors, mexican food, in & out burgers, girls in shorts, and mountains. Yes, I realize that I'm in the minority on this site, that's why I always feel the need to stick up for underdog LA when I think it's being ripped. It's cool with me if you've been to LA and it's just not your cup of tea, but I know that's not the case with most people here considering that almost all of the LA criticisms are just regurgitating well known LA stereotypes.
Holy shit ANTI CHEESEHEAD thats Bloody amazing!

·
Registered
872 Posts
^^Because asians have the racial sterotype of being industrious workers and very smart. Both qualities are considered positive for a population to have.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.