SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Witnessed a lovely sight today on the docks where a gang of what I'm guessing to be harbour porpoises were frollocking merrily between the ships berthed at Seaforth container terminal.

I've seen this before in Belfast and Dublin but never here and maybe it's another example of the benefits of our now cleaner water.(Not just the auld Mersey goldfish today!)

Sloyne will probably be able to tell some tales of sightings of these creatures from his travels. A fella down there rang up some rescue place and they said they would send out divers to get them out of the lock system.

Sounds like on of those 'and finally' stories on the news. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
A nice story ............. no need for an apology!

Now, what do they taste like? You can catch them can't you? What's the best bait and line?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
A nice story ............. no need for an apology!
Now, what do they taste like? You can catch them can't you? What's the best bait and line?
Yes indeed, a very nice story. I have eaten lots of dolphin, and love it, dolphin fish that is. It looks something like a sailfish with a flukes gob. It is a regular on my menu in Hawaii were it is called Mahi Mahi.:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes indeed, a very nice story. I have eaten lots of dolphin, and love it, dolphin fish that is. It looks something like a sailfish with a flukes gob. It is a regular on my menu in Hawaii were it is called Mahi Mahi.:)
Sloyne, you must have the best job in the world! Like most Scousers I have a touch of the auld wonderlust and spent five years working my way around Europe in my younger days. (part of the brain drain, er, cough!)

One of my biggest regrets is the demise of the merchant navy as this, along with the docks were to me proper Scousers jobs passed down from father to son and being the very essence of our city.

Funnily enough I've eventually followed in my forefathers footsteps by working on the docks, even if in an unrelated job. As I get older I feel the need to travel more than ever, to see places I've only heard about and almost every month I'm dragging the wife around some new place as we take advantage of all these cheap flights. (must have a carbon footprint the size of the yeti!)

It's brilliant hearing you talk of all those exotic foods as I love nothing better myself than experiencing new cuisine from around the world and cooking a poor version of it upon my return home.

I will one day soon take a decent cruise holiday but I can't decide to where! The Missus would like the Carribean but I'm thinking New York. For yourself, does all that time in Paradise ever become a chore?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Sloyne, you must have the best job in the world!
I have been retired for eleven years now but; Yes, I was fortunate in my choice of careers, however, that choice, in the beginning, was really Hobsons choice. Career choices in Liverpool, for the likes of me, back then were quite limited and consisted, for the most part, in the docks or the sea. I chose the sea and had circumnavigated the world before my sixteenth birthday.

Like most Scousers I have a touch of the auld wonderlust and spent five years working my way around Europe in my younger days. (part of the brain drain, er, cough!)

One of my biggest regrets is the demise of the merchant navy as this, along with the docks were to me proper Scousers jobs passed down from father to son and being the very essence of our city.
You sound like a dreamer. I think people come in two categories; dreamers and wishers, wishes are always wishing for something without doing anything constructive to reach their goals, just wishing they could. Dreamers, I find, are usually fulfilling their dreams, albeit, with baby steps but then, later, in leaps and bounds. Keep dreaming, I'm sure you will, one day, visit places others can only wish they'd seen.

Funnily enough I've eventually followed in my forefathers footsteps by working on the docks, even if in an unrelated job. As I get older I feel the need to travel more than ever, to see places I've only heard about and almost every month I'm dragging the wife around some new place as we take advantage of all these cheap flights. (must have a carbon footprint the size of the yeti!)

It's brilliant hearing you talk of all those exotic foods as I love nothing better myself than experiencing new cuisine from around the world and cooking a poor version of it upon my return home.

I will one day soon take a decent cruise holiday but I can't decide to where! The Missus would like the Carribean but I'm thinking New York. For yourself, does all that time in Paradise ever become a chore?
Whenever you are ready and, you need advice, just let me know and I will try and help as much as I can. I know some fantastic websites offering some fantastic deals on cruises and, believe it or not, cruising is a very inexpensive way to travel. And no, paradise never becomes a chore. We spend a month every two years in Hawaii and have been doing so since 1980, and still love the place.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
I had lots of dolphin fish in Grenada, loved it! At first I thought I was eating dolphin as the menu just said 'Dolphin sandwhich' - bit dissapointed to find out it was only a fish, but very tasty all the same. :eat:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I had lots of dolphin fish in Grenada, loved it! At first I thought I was eating dolphin as the menu just said 'Dolphin sandwhich' - bit dissapointed to find out it was only a fish, but very tasty all the same. :eat:
Hi Tom, may I suggest, next time you are in the Windward Islands, that you try a flying fish sandwich and the best place to try it would be The Nutmeg in St. Georges, Grenada. They serve it blackened (hot), spicy (medium) and mild. The restaurant serves the best flying fish sandwiches I have tasted outside of Barbados. The Nutmeg is located right on the Bay waterfront not far from the tunnel in St. Georges. Almost all the Windward's have some form of flying-fish recipes but, like I said, it's been my experience that, after Barbados, The Nutmeg offer the
best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts