Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Simple User
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thessaloniki mulls its role in the future

After many years of announcements, broken promises and procrastination by successive governments as well as endless litigation among rival construction companies, large projects for Thessaloniki are entering the implementation phase.

The projects include a metro rail line, an extension to the airport, a redesignation of port facilities, an underwater road artery and a research and innovation park.

Nevertheless, questions do arise: The projects now starting with a delay of about 20 years were envisaged within the framework of the 1985 city development plan. Will they be adequate for a city with a now much larger population and a considerably different housing pattern from today in 30 or 40 years’ time, or are they just palliatives for the medium term?

Objections are already being raised regarding the necessity of the underwater road artery, the location of the airport, and the adequacy of the metro line and other smaller projects that are to make the larger ones more functional.

Precious time has been lost and problems have become pressing. Thessaloniki is now one of the most atmospherically polluted cities in the European Union; traffic congestion is increasing and quality of life declining.

Authorities seem to be responding to such concerns, promoting a updating of the city development and zoning plan, with a view to laying the basis for Thessaloniki to become a metropolis for the southern Balkans and bolstering its international character.

“The projects under way may be a help to development but do not provide a lever for economic growth as such, the key to which is innovation,” says professor of architecture and town planning Alexandros Lagopoulos.

A new, revised zoning plan must first and foremost provide a clear vision for the city on which the various development scenaria may be based, he argues.

“What kind of a city do we want the Thessaloniki of the future to be: A European metropolis, a metropolis of the Balkans or just a large provincial urban center in northern Greece?” he asks. “Its evolution into a Balkan metropolis presupposes extensive changes at the economic and cultural levels, while the scenario of the European metropolis requires a huge leap in innovation. Legislation now in the works is an important step but it must be implemented in the immediate future to yield results, with a parallel restructuring of the economy.”

Realizing an ambitious plan would require the development of many more areas, such as the city’s port, in order to attract foreign companies. “If the changes required do not make progress immediately, then the scenario most likely to be realized is that of Thessaloniki remaining a regional city of northern Greece. Evidently, however, neither the political nor the ideological targets for the city are tuned to such an ambitious upgrading of its role,” he says.
http://grhomeboy.wordpress.com/2006/09/16/thessaloniki-mulls-its-role-in-the-future/

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,115 Posts
I need to pinpoint the issue of the ideological framework stressed here, as well as the concept of innovation. If anybody believes that Athens and Thessaloniki will become "European metropolises" out of the blue, with so many building restrictions and so much negativism around anything novel and innovative on concept -and this includes height too :D, then they better go read books on urban planning.

The point is: Should we let them keep us where they want so as not for them to have competition in their mediocrity? How can 5-10 "volemenoi" (i.e. well off) understand what a country really needs and are able to proceed in discussions instead of listening to the loud voices of backwardness? The "volemenos", instead of wanting Thessaloniki to be a lowrise city with one or two highrise districts in the east and the west, visible from the peripheral highways, signifying the new era for the capital of northern Greece, may simply want a "co-capital" of Greece sinking into oblivion, baptising backwardness with exotic names such as "erotic city" and other similar nonsense as if a new highrise business centre is not "sexy". "Που να τρέχεις τώρα..." as we say in Greece.

Not that Thessaloniki is not beautiful as it stands now, don't fall into this trap, simply ask yourselves (as I asked myself about Athens) if the way the city looks now is the only way for the city to look beautiful or if being "erotic" is enough if the city doesn't look really "sexy" with many aspects to explore, i.e. a new highrise centre and innovative constructions, along with its well known monuments and cultural treasures.

What makes somebody sexy, is its thousand faces that he can interchange in a relationship and the thrill of discovery. Not the predictability of his/her usual image. Thessaloniki has all what it takes to become a Balcan and a European metropolis. Just do it.

PS: BTW, what is this story with the "third Army Corps Headquarters" (τρίτο σώμα στρατού) barracks inside the city? Ain't the army supposed to guard the country's borders? Why don't they relocate so that a mini-highrise centre to be built there? Or the space to be freed won't be enough? In any case, even a park wouldn't be a bad thing there.

·
Simple User
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Totally agree for the above, I have nothing more to say, of course we cannot see growth through negativisms...

However things must change and they do. How?

Well, most of us know the following proposals by visionaries (Visionary is one who experiences a supernatural vision or apparition)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=363673

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=388631

Here(Text in Greek) you can see another visionary sending a letter to the prime minister and proposing skyscrapers!

Visionaries uber alles

PS: BTW, what is this story with the "third Army Corps Headquarters" (τρίτο σώμα στρατού) barracks inside the city? Ain't the army supposed to guard the country's borders? Why don't they relocate so that a mini-highrise centre to be built there? Or the space to be freed won't be enough? In any case, even a park wouldn't be a bad thing there.
Hmm, actually this place is used by NATO military organization, some people say that If the Thessaloniki international fair change its place, then a huge metropolitan park will be settled there. Also there is a nice historical building, located there, they said that this could be the new city hall, which now is under construction very close to the specific area. As for highrises, it would be nice to see some there, but I don't know why, maybe they don't fit there, I mean not as they could fit in the port area or Pylaia for example.

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,115 Posts
If and when I visit the nymph of the Greek north, I will definitely visit the area of Pylaia.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A new, revised zoning plan must first and foremost provide a clear vision for the city on which the various development scenaria may be based, he argues.

“What kind of a city do we want the Thessaloniki of the future to be: A European metropolis, a metropolis of the Balkans or just a large provincial urban center in northern Greece?” he asks. “Its evolution into a Balkan metropolis presupposes extensive changes at the economic and cultural levels, while the scenario of the European metropolis requires a huge leap in innovation. Legislation now in the works is an important step but it must be implemented in the immediate future to yield results, with a parallel restructuring of the economy.”
If every hellenic city planner (if there is such a thing) thought like this, they would have the most beautiful cities in southern Europe.

Also, i was looking on google earth last night, new york specifically. Why not do the same thing. THey have amazing buildings right on the water. Why not repo the land and buildings (at a price, im sure) right on the waterfront and allow the building of modern, elegant scrapers of a small height? Have them mix-use, residential/offices, with ground levels having different international ´feels´. As in Athens a park could also be built, some elegant beauties right next to it, look at that effect in central park south, AMAZING (check out Hampshire House Building)!

The contrast of green and white is beatuiful. I dont think it would be difficult to find investors. COuld the same thing be done right near Athens´upcoming park? Make the surrounding area into a 5th avenue, but right near the greek water! My vision is a smaller, more elegant, and less congested version of this in Thess and Athens:

Imagine being in this boat below, with that view, would make such a great juxtaposition with Athens natural beauty.

I don´t see why it cant be done.

·
Simple User
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thessaloniki has a quite nice seafront with 8-storey buldings, watch how well they suit with the sea and the mountain behind in the second photo:

Well, I wouldn't like skyscrapers located in this area, I prefer Pylaia district, it's close to the sea and is extended in a very large area and malls, shopping centres, etc, have been build there during the last years. It's a really fast growing suburb, why not build some skyscrapers there?

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a local of thessaloniki, you would know more than me, so i will take your word for it. But you have to admit, the 2nd picture i posted really looks amazing. Any more info on Pylaia district? How close to the water is it?

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts