SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Huge Memorial Opens to remember the sacrifice of Canada.

I felt it should have its own thread because not to forget the sacrifice of Canada.

Huge new memorial at Green Park ( London uk )to honor
10,000 Canadians who died as part of
Bomber Command memorial was opened by the Queen today.

10,000 Canadians.

Large stone wreath is from Australia and the roof from Canada,
the Stone from the UK.

Video http://vimeo.com/44862195

London ww2

veterans from Canada Australia New Zealand South Africa etc.

·
The Mighty.
3,184 Posts
A somber, but beautiful Commonwealth moment in time.
One of the few wars soldiers did not die in vain, but courageously, with honor, and selflessness.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
They should build a monument to remember the entire race of people that were destroyed so Britain could create Canada!!

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts
Yes!! Here's a couple more historical guilt trips that have nothing to do with this thread: Italy could erect a monument apologising for when the Romans cruelly conquered Britain, and Scandinavian countries could erect monuments apologising for the violent and bloody Viking invasions which gave me, like yourself, with a mixture of bloodlines. Previous lifestyles and cultures were completely changed and in some cases exterminated by these and countless other brutal upheavals in the past few thousands of years. What we can do is eventually accept that what happened 400 or 4000 years ago happened, and move on.

Now, back to the memorial! :yes:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Yeah, except that those situations didn't involve racist laws that still exist in some form, effectively condemning an entire segment of those country's populations to poverty simply because they were born to the wrong ethnic group!

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Yes. I am one of those rare people who, when I see that something is wrong, I speak out against it.

·
In mourning
97,439 Posts
A somber, but beautiful Commonwealth moment in time.
One of the few wars soldiers did not die in vain, but courageously, with honor, and selflessness.
Well said!

Italy could erect a monument apologising for when the Romans cruelly conquered Britain.
I thought the Italian are not the original Romans, they moved to where now italy is long after the collapse of the mighty empire.

·
Banned
8,602 Posts
^^If you guys like to include other races to apologize to the crimes they committed, then dont forget Genghis Kahn's contribution to your genes, our genes. His empire have massacred half of europe, only stopped when they realized that it was better to live in peace and breed new people with various caucasian races. You'll never know, every one of us here may have a tiny bloodline that could be traced back to these mongolian warriors.

Anyway, im proud for this new memorial contribution by our allies. :)

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Yes. I am one of those rare people who, when I see that something is wrong, I speak out against it.
Not appropriate for this thread Vid. How do you think the North American natives would be doing today had Hitler won and controlled Canada? Your comments are way out of line for this thread and irrelevant about the war in Europe.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Vid, perhaps you should read 3 Day Road by Joseph Boyden and find out how Canadian natives fought along side other Cannucks and their allies in Europe. Though the book was written about WWI many natives enlisted in WWII as well, that memorial is for them to.

Three Day Road is the first novel from Canadian writer Joseph Boyden. Joseph’s maternal grandfather, as well as an uncle on his father’s side, served as soldiers during the First World War, and Boyden draws upon a wealth of family narratives. This novel follows the journey of two young Cree men, Xavier and Elijah, who volunteer for that war and become snipers during the conflict

My favorite Canadian writer btw.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Aboriginal peoples from every region of Canada served in the armed forces during the Second World War, fighting in every major battle and campaign of the conflict. To serve their country in the Armed Forces, Aboriginal-Canadians had to overcome unique cultural challenges. Their courage, sacrifices, and accomplishments are a continuing source of pride to their families, communities, and all Canadians.

At least 3,000 status (treaty) Indians—including 72 women—enlisted, as well as an unknown number of Inuit, Métis, and other Natives. The actual numbers were no doubt much higher.

·
Administrator
79,193 Posts

Many atrocities have happened to just about every race on the planet throughout history. Half of my family had to flee starvation and immigrate to Canada.

Trying to link an event hundreds of years prior, to a memorial honouring those who fought in the War (including my father and all of my uncles) and sacrificed a great deal, seems a bit bizarre. The war was so horrific and my father lost so many friends and relatives that he never wanted to talk about it with us.

Do you really think you would have preferred the world today had nobody bothered to fight on our behalf? If you do, then perhaps you don't really understand what principles Hitler was fighting for.

·
Banned
8,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just wish to say that the New Memorial represents those who sacrifice themselves
to fight a dictatorship. (UK was, and is a Democracy - Germany was a dictatorship )

If Nazi Germany had won it would have effected every race, creed on the Planet, and I
would doubt we would have the internet today and we would not be communicating to each other today.

Another result is that Canada in 2012 is a mature independent Democracy.

The Memorial has a "reconciliation" part as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peaceful mission: The Lancaster drops its payload of thousands of poppies over the Streets.
Every poppy represents a person who died.

·
Banned
8,602 Posts

·
Banned
8,602 Posts
Here is an A-Z list of Canadian Natives who have fought in WW1, WW2, and the Korean War. So many.

http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~jeffrey1/tribute.htm
Aboriginal peoples from every region of Canada served in the armed forces during the Second World War, fighting in every major battle and campaign of the conflict. To serve their country in the Armed Forces, Aboriginal-Canadians had to overcome unique cultural challenges. Their courage, sacrifices, and accomplishments are a continuing source of pride to their families, communities, and all Canadians.

At least 3,000 status (treaty) Indians—including 72 women—enlisted, as well as an unknown number of Inuit, Métis, and other Natives. The actual numbers were no doubt much higher.
They deserved an equal rights and honor. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.