SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys....if you have been following the Thika road construction project, you then know I was in China recently (Guangzhou) and managed to put together a few pics! Like I said, these guys know their stuff and their involvement in the construction of our roads, bridges and ports is indeed welcome.

Their work ethic is super and they are technically sound. No more Kenyan cowboy contractors. I will be posting a few pics soon as a TASTE of how our city will look like once the road construction including by-passes within and out of the city is indeed completed......

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
China pics....

as promised......see for u r self guys. Posted a few in the Thika highway thread but more here! Sign of things to come?......me thinks so :banana:

Many of their flyovers have hanging gardens like these! its so cool!

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,190 Posts
^^ omg for a minute I thought those first few pics were in Nairobi! :uh:
Then I saw the Japanese.....nice infra and hopefully all of Kenya has this someday, hopefully by 2030 like in the vision.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
èđđeůx;65976127 said:
^^ omg for a minute I thought those first few pics were in Nairobi! :uh:
Then I saw the Japanese.....nice infra and hopefully all of Kenya has this someday, hopefully by 2030 like in the vision.
Hopefully is the word.Otherwise i fear for such superb infrastructure in kenya if we're still not showing the kind of discipline that goes with it.Things like maintenance of kasarani,nyayo stadium,uhuru park is a mess and even fixing little potholes and broken curbsides is too much.The chinese,on the other hand,are super efficient in their works.
I hate it that i fear kenyans are not ready for primetime yet,not with the discipline and stringent requirements needed for it even after so many yrs of independence.Haitians have been around for 200yrs fyi.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hopefully is the word.Otherwise i fear for such superb infrastructure in kenya if we're still not showing the kind of discipline that goes with it.Things like maintenance of kasarani,nyayo stadium,uhuru park is a mess and even fixing little potholes and broken curbsides is too much.The chinese,on the other hand,are super efficient in their works.
I hate it that i fear kenyans are not ready for primetime yet,not with the discipline and stringent requirements needed for it even after so many yrs of independence.Haitians have been around for 200yrs fyi.
You need to understand that each coming challenge guys come to cope with it.And I guess you will be the first to enjoy and adapt these developments once they come to place.
You also need to know that in Kenya we have some of the smartest individuals globally and this is a change of era that will coma and get absorbed by everybody.I see a bright spot at the end of this tunnel.
Go to Abuja Nigeria and you will find some state of art infratstructure close to this,go to Cairo and you will be surprised.These are our African brothers who have come to age,why not Kenya?I dont see any challenge here.This is a change of era and a generation changes with it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hate it that i fear kenyans are not ready for primetime yet,not with the discipline and stringent requirements needed for it even after so many yrs of independence. Haitians have been around for 200yrs fyi.
Amboseli Daima you are right that us kenyans we can't maintain anything that is ours. I can't believe that the govt is willing to spend this amount of billions on thika highway while mbs-nai-malaba is not dual highway yet.Mbs-malaba road and the railway should have been a priority. Why not even make mbs-nai a four lane highway then proceed with the next phase.mbs port is a major revenue earner-ug,Rw,burundi,s.sudan&e.congo mostly import and export through mbs port. The airport and roads around nai are a mess.eastleigh is an embrassment. if the govt can't correct such grassroot problems, honestly can they manage freeways.what's the rush for mega freeways and we can't maintain feeder roads at local levels. Do we just build mega structures to showcase or what? I hope the govt. will surprise all and prove me wrong.

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
Amboseli Daima you are right that us kenyans we can't maintain anything that is ours. I can't believe that the govt is willing to spend this amount of billions on thika highway while mbs-nai-malaba is not dual highway yet.Mbs-malaba road and the railway should have been a priority. Why not even make mbs-nai a four lane highway then proceed with the next phase..
Actually its no that easy.Kenya needs major financing to make the over 1000KMs road a four lane highway.Assuming that all they do is just add extra lane on both sides the cost would easily be about 4 billion per 50kms.But this is not practical since it is a recipe for disaster.A divider needs to be erected.but a 1000 km divider?also not practical.So the only option would be to build an extra road which is a few meters away from the original road.they would also need to build a few interchanges for all some of the transit towns in between.

added to cost of resettling displaced businesses,people,moving poles,water systems etc,and the cost of just building 50 km could easily reach 7-10 billion kshs. So we are talking of over 100 billion kshs on a single road project.kenya's overall infrastructure budget(all roads,bridges,energy etc) for 2010 was 220 billion kshs,this means we would have spent half of it building a single road.

Don't get me wrong,ofcourse i would love to have the mombasa-busia road as a dual carriageway,but unless Kenya gets funding for it,we simply can't afford it.What we can do is built it in portions until w get the required funding.The government can start with making Busia-Kisumu a dual carriageway,to facilitate easier movement of goods into and out of the country into Uganda.then a dual carriageway bypass in kisumu to avoid going into town.

Other options include seeking BOT (build own transfer) arrangements.Let private companies build the road network and charge tolls to recover their money.

We are lucky we got funding for Thika road from the ADB(african development bank), and maybe in future,if kenya's credit score improves,we move up the ladder in corruption index and remain peaceful,we might just float a 200 Billion kshs infrastructure bond for such projects.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually its no that easy.Kenya needs major financing to make the over 1000KMs road a four lane highway.Assuming that all they do is just add extra lane on both sides the cost would easily be about 4 billion per 50kms.But this is not practical since it is a recipe for disaster.A divider needs to be erected.but a 1000 km divider?also not practical.So the only option would be to build an extra road which is a few meters away from the original road.they would also need to build a few interchanges for all some of the transit towns in between.

added to cost of resettling displaced businesses,people,moving poles,water systems etc,and the cost of just building 50 km could easily reach 7-10 billion kshs. So we are talking of over 100 billion kshs on a single road project.kenya's overall infrastructure budget(all roads,bridges,energy etc) for 2010 was 220 billion kshs,this means we would have spent half of it building a single road.

Don't get me wrong,ofcourse i would love to have the mombasa-busia road as a dual carriageway,but unless Kenya gets funding for it,we simply can't afford it.What we can do is built it in portions until w get the required funding.The government can start with making Busia-Kisumu a dual carriageway,to facilitate easier movement of goods into and out of the country into Uganda.then a dual carriageway bypass in kisumu to avoid going into town.

Other options include seeking BOT (build own transfer) arrangements.Let private companies build the road network and charge tolls to recover their money.

We are lucky we got funding for Thika road from the ADB(african development bank), and maybe in future,if kenya's credit score improves,we move up the ladder in corruption index and remain peaceful,we might just float a 200 Billion kshs infrastructure bond for such projects.

I think a dual carriageway between Msa-Ksm/Busia would be impractical and unnecessary (before you kill me, let me explain!) The supporters for this project probably cite the heavy truck transporters btween Msa and Ksm/Busia. But improvement of rail transport should in the end be more economical in this case, even with just about 500m long cargo trains (we arent trying to beat records here!). Some portions of the mentioned stretch arent that busy and a dual carriageway would be a waste (not quite, but uneconomical).

I would rather campaign for dual carriageways, say 20-50kms into and out of major towns, with all the exchanges and such, and extra to that, most of these towns should consider ring-roads (I mean real ring-roads. Has anyone seen the Addis ring-road? Its dual crraiage...I just dont know how ring it is! Will follow it to its end and report later). But dual through the whole 1000kms doesnt make any sense.

Between some towns...Nrb-Thika, Nrb-Nva/Nku, for example, I would say its important and necessary. Besides, I think the road just need to be widened...compare the widened sections in the new Nrb-Nku road...they have some really wide areas especially where they have the climbing lanes, basically, thats I would think we need...wider, but not necessarily dual carriage, roads...not yet at least.

Just my two-cents. :cheers:

·
Veteran
3,369 Posts
@atramp, actually i agree with you.Nrb-msa highway is wide enough and it is sufficient for now.the Nrb-nkr huighway is also in good shape and pretty wide with lots of climbing lanes.The only problem on this highway is njoro turnoff-kericho-kisumu-busia which needs radical overhaul.What needs to be done is to have bypasses to avoid going into towns on the road.i don't see why a transporter has to go through Kisumu town when he's not stopping there.same for nakuru,kericho etc.

An electric train that can haul big tonnage of goods would be the best solution.this would reduce the number of trucks on the road,hence less congestion,less accidents and less road damage.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts

Too much publicity and nothing to show for it. In some countries a lot is going on and nobody shouts about it even twice, but here we hear so much about projects and then, do they materialise? This Kenya Railways thing is just too much publicised and the other day they canceled one big plan. Press conferences to announce negative things.Look at the plan they had i don't recall how many years past for Kisumu and what has happened? Do more and talk less is my advice to Kenya Railways. This corporation is the worst performer in my opinion.Their fence around upper hill is so bad people are dragged into their property and raped, mugged, robbed and killed. They should mend that fence. And it has lots of land in the city center with a golf course. What a land use in the middle of the city? It adds no value to the city. Move that course to another place out of town and convert that course to multiple use like offices or a railway museum or something. So tired of things not working. May be one day you will change for the better!! You need to radically change your strategy and way think thinking as a corporation in terms of responsibility as a corporate citizen in Kenya.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts