Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Safaricom is set to build the 'best' school in africa.Watch this video ..Bob mentioned it at the end.Kenyan journalist are so dumb.They don't do a good job and always asking irrelevant questions.They barely do their research!Who watched Uhuru's press conference?He opened the floor for questions and all those guys kept asking the same question(anglo leasing payment) despite it being expansively answered....instead of them taking opportunity to ask other burning questions.i liked how UK corrected one guy who mentioned uhuru was a minister in 06...clearly this guys don't research $h+t.No wonder we get crazy figures and uproar and drama and politics.Like rail project figures or '124 B to be paid for anglo leasing'
https://youtube.com/watch?v=2sZDRocTIHI&list=UUhBQgieUidXV1CmDxSdRm3g&index=50

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
The media of this country are very ignorant.They never know a good thing when they see it.BTW I saw that Safaricom has cash piles of 17.3 billion.They have annouced net profits of 23 billion and are paying dividends of 18.8 billion leaving then a retention of about 4 billion.That would make a total cash pile of about 21 billion.With just 10 billion they can build a very tall skyscraper.Other companies with huges cash piles are Jubilee Insurance 6.7 billion,Bamburi Cement with 8.8 billion and so on

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The media of this country are very ignorant.They never know a good thing when they see it.BTW I saw that Safaricom has cash piles of 17.3 billion.They have annouced net profits of 23 billion and are paying dividends of 18.8 billion leaving then a retention of about 4 billion.That would make a total cash pile of about 21 billion.With just 10 billion they can build a very tall skyscraper.Other companies with huges cash piles are Jubilee Insurance 6.7 billion,Bamburi Cement with 8.8 billion and so on
I agree with you.i wouldn't be surprised if they have plans to do that.I could tell from Bob's tone at the end that safcom is thinking about landmark projects like 'best in africa school'.They will soon have to build something to improve their books of accounts.Its always healthy for a company to have long term assets(property being the best)something they can use as collateral incase they need to borrow in the future.

·
Super Moderator
15,507 Posts
Currently they have the 'Safaricom Academy', a partnership between Safaricom and Strathmore University.

According to their website, they currently offer post graduate programs.

http://www.safaricomacademy.org/

'The proposed Master of Science (MSc.TID) programme is designed to support innovation and entrepreneurship in the Telecommunication sector as in important pillar of sustainable economic development. Mobile cellular technologies have enabled the poorest regions/countries to extend communication to the rural poor to access cheaper services in support of agricultural services, micro-financial services and mobile money transfers etc. As the demand for these services and applications increases, the need to develop innovative solutions also increases. This programme focuses on the entrepreneurial spirit of students and the youth to meet this growing demand.'

Most likely they will be significantly expanding this to something like Safaricom School of Engineering but still under Strathmore.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I know,Equity and safaricom can put an Epic Landmark in kenya,infact,The whole of Africa man!

·
Registered
14,019 Posts

A dated update from earlier in the year...

Andrew Dunnett Twitter

Reactions: Servant of people

·
"Structures don't lie" on
804 Posts
People need to know where money for building this comes from. When Mpesa was started, Safaricom came to an agreement with Central Bank on what to do with interest earned from the balances guys kept in Mpesa since safaricom doesn't pay interest to Mpesa users. The agreement was that safaricom would form a trust called Mpesa Trust that would collect all the interest earned from Mpesa cash balances. This trust then pledge to invest in education, environmental conservation, access to water and health e.t.c
So msisifu safaricom sana, hii ni pesa yangu na wewe

·
Registered
345 Posts
People need to know where money for building this comes from. When Mpesa was started, Safaricom came to an agreement with Central Bank on what to do with interest earned from the balances guys kept in Mpesa since safaricom doesn't pay interest to Mpesa users. The agreement was that safaricom would form a trust called Mpesa Trust that would collect all the interest earned from Mpesa cash balances. This trust then pledge to invest in education, environmental conservation, access to water and health e.t.c
So msisifu safaricom sana, hii ni pesa yangu na wewe

:eek:hno: If the company gets involved in corporate social responsibility wewe una waput down. Kwani ungetaka wapee investors zikiwa dividends.

Company za zamani used to give Moi and his cronies closed envelopes instead of helping build Kenya

Lets encourage companies Operating in Kenya to give back, and not to politicians but to the people in their community... In the West that is what companies do

·
Registered
14,019 Posts

·
Registered
14,019 Posts

·
Registered
14,019 Posts

Reactions: andegwa
1 - 20 of 24 Posts