Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
EffSizzle
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most people have their ideas of what a certain city is about. For instance, when somebody thinks of NYC they might think "skyscrapers". Or if somebody thinks of Anchorage they think "snow".

What are some things about your city that would surprise people? Things they might not have ever known.

I live in Seattle. I bet people who have never been here would never guess that there a ton of palm trees all throughout the entire Puget Sound region and the Seattle metro area.

Here's a few links of some great photos of palms in Seattle courtesy of Alain Lucier

http://www.pbase.com/47latitude/conrad_and_gales_yard

http://www.pbase.com/47latitude/seattle_palms

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
one thing, the only city in the country with more monuments is DC.
Not to mention the fact that our city revolves around a massive european traffic circle. The list never ends.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
people may be suprised that my town, Frederick, MD used to be at one time in the top 50 biggest cities in the US

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
Well, here we are in a small city in Southern Appalachia. You would not expect to find in such a city...

...The largest house in the United States. Biltmore House boasts about four acres of floor space, has 250 rooms, and when it was completed in 1895, it was one the most technologically-advanced structures on earth.

...The second largest collection of art deco architecture in the South outside of Miami Beach.

...A Catholic basilica designed and built by the same architect who built Grand Central Station. It was Rafael Guastavino's last commission, and he is buried inside the church.

...The largest repository of weather data on earth. It's at the National Climatic Data Center in the downtown federal building.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Well, in my little NC Piedmont city, people would prolly be surprised that:

Greensboro had a part in the Revolutionary War. We have a park for it.....Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
And we had an underground railroad/path or whatever it was to escape slaves during the Civil War. HauntedHeadNC would be better at this than I.

But here is a link:
http://www.greensboronc.org/aboutgreensboro.cfm

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
one of our baseball teams last won a world series when caesar was emperor and the only Colleseum used for sports had games that when they ended in "sudden death", they really ended in "sudden death".

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
on a more serious note, the chicago city council exhonorated mrs. o'leary's cow for any blame in the great chicago fire in 1871. we have a burning desire for justice in the windy city.

as for other animals, somehow i don't think a hundred years from now, the new orleans city council will exhonorate the jackass in the white house for the damage done by katrina.

it's not true that the dead get to vote in Chicago elections. only the registered dead Democrats get to do this.

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
Minneapolis-St Paul is only horribly cold for about 10 days a year. Other than that it is the same or better than the rest of the northeast and north central US. Summers are 4 months of gloriously sunny perfection. I can say from experience that Minnesota summers blow upstate NY summers out of the water.

·
EffSizzle
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard summers in Minneapolis are far from glorious. From what I understand, the humidity is so bad that w/o air conditioning you may as well kiss your chances of a good night sleep right down the crapper. True???

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
I've heard summers in Minneapolis are far from glorious. From what I understand, the humidity is so bad that w/o air conditioning you may as well kiss your chances of a good night sleep right down the crapper. True???
We say that to keep people from moving here. Most of the eastern half of the US is worse.

It can be humid, but most of the time it isn't too bad. Usually it is about 85 degrees, medium humidity and not a cloud in the sky.

·
Brett don't text me
135 Posts
where did u hear that? minneota summers in no where near as humid as lets say florida, they are exctually pretty comfortable

·
Banned
194 Posts
where did u hear that? minnesota summers in no where near as humid as lets say florida, they are exctually pretty comfortable
Actually, July and August are usually uncomfortably hot to me (85-95º with humidity) here in the Twin Cities, but temperatures in May-June and September-October are usually perfect.

I never did understand why people think temperatures at which you instantly start sweating just standing still are enjoyable.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Chicago is not just a blue collar town any more. While most people here are aware of this there is a segment of the national media that constantly refers to "Chicago as that blue collar town."

• Chicago is No. 1 in high-tech employment (347,100 workers).

• Chicago is No. 1 in business professional services, experiencing 82 percent growth in employment in this sector from 1990 to 2000.

• While Chicago is the third largest metro area in the country in population, with 8.27 million people, it has the second largest work force, at 4.23 million.

Another reason the moto "Chicago the city that works" really means something.
From an old source from 2004.

http://www.siteselection.com/issues/2004/mar/p181/

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
on a more serious note, the chicago city council exhonorated mrs. o'leary's cow for any blame in the great chicago fire in 1871. we have a burning desire for justice in the windy city.

as for other animals, somehow i don't think a hundred years from now, the new orleans city council will exhonorate the jackass in the white house for the damage done by katrina.

it's not true that the dead get to vote in Chicago elections. only the registered dead Democrats get to do this.

As it is said, the easiest way to gain immortality is to register as a Democrat in Cook County.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts