Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure if we done this before but w/e

what things do you hate about miami,lack of parks,lack of architecture,bad mangement etc...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't think Miami is that spread out, maybe compared to Manhattan, but have you travelled and seen the rest of Florida? Miami does pretty well in that regard.

What I don't like about Miami is the crime rate and poverty. It's still way too high in too many places. It basically makes a good chunk of the city off limits to me and places I avoid like the plague. But it's getting better, slowly but surely. The land is worth too much to keep Overtown looking like a bombed out third world country. It'll gentrify whether the residents like it or not.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Traffic.

But then again, all the things that suck about Miami usually can easily be applied to other cities (although the crime rate is said to be higher in Miami than anywhere else in America). That should be fixed.

Also, there should be better job growth in the area -- and I mean the ones that would be in Fortune 500. Unfortunately Miami isn't seen as a business city because they don't really have that many companies that are well known (outside of the film, entertainment, modeling, etc). This is obvious if we looked at downtown Miami -- a large chunk of the skyscrapers consist of condos, not offices. While that's good for the vibrancy of the city, it may not be that great for the workers if they don't have any place to work at. If the condos are selling out well, then the buyers are probably trying to make a second home in the city or something. But I do believe the business outlook would eventually look better.

·
Registered
133 Posts
OH... and lack of curbs. I think the curbs would make residential areas look "cleaner." And more shade in medians/parking lots would be good as well.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
obviously the perception lingers (even among Miamians) that Miami has a high crime rate, even if the perception is not borne out by the facts.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I would agree with Traffic as a major concern for most residents.
A tidbit from a conference over the weekend quoted Miami as being the 7th worst Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in length of commute. It's 52 hours per person per year in 2003, up from 11 hours in 1982.

As for being spread out, I couldn't disagree more. The City of Miami is great and getting better, The City of Miami Beach is amazing. If you haven't seen it before....check out what you can WALK to in about an hour in Miami Beach.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=188202

·
Registered
477 Posts
Traffic. Although I don't commute anymore. I had to take I-75 and 826 everyday.
Just a headache, sitting in the car for hour and 25 minutes. There's so much construction on the 826, Hopefully we'll see the results soon, just like the Turnpike, unless there's an accident, traffic is almost non existing now.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
logybogy said:
I don't think Miami is that spread out, maybe compared to Manhattan, but have you travelled and seen the rest of Florida? Miami does pretty well in that regard.

What I don't like about Miami is the crime rate and poverty. It's still way too high in too many places. It basically makes a good chunk of the city off limits to me and places I avoid like the plague. But it's getting better, slowly but surely. The land is worth too much to keep Overtown looking like a bombed out third world country. It'll gentrify whether the residents like it or not.
I agree with logybody 100%

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i think the lack of big business is miamis biggest problem... we have a good amount, and certain industries are quite strong (banking and such), but as for large corporations, miami could so much better in this area

and i have notices that miami doesnt really have many curbs, dunno why, just a weird thing, my parents grew up in chicago and always joke about miami not having any curbs... i wonder why...

a general lack of pedestrian oriented neighborhoods, but... were fixing that rite now...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
whoa i could say many things that i hate about miami but theres one thing that stands out above the rest.

the crappy architecture that we have,i hate the fact that every building in miami,even b.o.a,onyx2,premiere towers are and have boxy crapass architecture.i wish that architects would be more unconventional.

another little thing i dislike is the fact that miami cares more about the waterfront neighborhoods,if you look at the worst neighborhoods in miami all of them are landlock,while the most well -off neighborhoods are near water except for coral gables.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What sucks is Miami's office market. There is not enough luxury office towers for a city of Miami's size and the city has done a lousy job of luring major American corporations to the city.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
^ Really ? I like CSI: Miami better than CSI. I guess because, unlike CSI, the protaganist - Horatio Kane - is so authentic.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
never seen the regular csi... but i personally like csi miami, and i hate most of the crap on tv, and they ocassionally squeze in some nice shots of miami, tho unfortunetly the vast majority of the show is shot in la

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Without using a word as strong as "sucks", one thing that could use some improvement is the perception of Miami's business climate from long time residents.
Business leaders are giddy with excitement from the fact that Miami turned the corner about 4 years ago. The public perception will catch up eventually.
We don't have to look back to far to the "almost recession" of 2000 when the cities in the US with the major corporations were reeling from an economic slowdown and the South Florida economy was and still is roaring.
The absence of large corporations insulated us from the corporate downsizing trend that rocked nearly every other major MSA.
Of course it would be nice to have a couple more major corporations, but I don't think that it "sucks" to have 57 "Latin American Headquarters" or branches employing 15,000 instead of a One Major company hiring 15,000.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.