Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to Dallas this weekend to meet up w/the gf, and staying downtown. cool things to do? good places to eat? how to use the mass transit? thanks.

-

·
Registered
65 Posts
The mass transit is relatively easy. A day pass will give you access to all of the area's transportation modes. You could then use that pass to ride the bus, light rail, and the TRE. The TRE is the commuter rail line that goes to Fort Worth. The light rail system is excellent and it is currently being expanded.

There's so many things to see and do that it is hard do everything in one weekend. As for places to eat, I would recommend Campisi's for good Italian within downtown. They are at 1520 Elm Street, adjacent to the Stone Street Gardens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i'm going to Dallas this weekend to meet up w/the gf, and staying downtown. cool things to do? good places to eat? how to use the mass transit? thanks.

-
Hmmm... well theirs Sixflags over Texas/Hurricane Harbor, Dallas Zoo,The Dallas World Aquarium which I believe is located downtown (I could be wrong), plenty of museums! Theirs is many variety of things to eat all over Dallas, but were cheap so we usually eat at the king of fast food (Mcdonalds=|) I'm not sure about the mass transit because I've never rode it but I hear it is a pretty good system from reliable resources.

btw if you haven't noticed yet, I don't live in Dallas lol, but I've been their many times before, usually go about 5-10 times a year:|

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dallas Arboretum on White Rock Lake is a good place to take your g/f. It's just northeast of downtown about 10 miles. One of the DART rail lines gets close, but it would still be a hike from the White Rock station.

Mockingbird Station is a cool place to hang out and people watch. It's accessible by either rail line (Red or Blue) going north of downtown. Trinity Hall serves a mean pint of Guinness and the Angelika shows all the indie movies.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I forgot, you can also catch the free McKinney Ave. trolley and ride it up to the West Village for more people watching and hanging out with the locals in the gayborhood (aka Oaklawn). There are tons of shops and art galleries to browse along the way. It's a short couple of blocks down the hill from the West Village along Lemmon Ave. to Turtle Creek park which is a great place to have a picnic...assuming it's not raining.

The Dallas Museum of Art and the Nasher Sculpture Center are across the street from each other in downtown's Art District.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure what you are into, but as you said downtown, I would recommend the Nasher Sculpture Center which is excellent even if sculpture is not your passion. Also, alot depends on your budget. You can check out the W hotel in Victory for cocktails, especially the Ghostbar near the top of the building for a great view of downtown. Not sure of the time, but if you go earlier in the evening you will miss the line and cover charge although the cocktails are still $ but worth it for the view. There are other restaurants and shops in Victory also. Stephen Pyles is a great restaurant downtown. Central 214 is an excellent restaurant in the Kimpton Hotel across from Mockingbird Station mentioned above. Of course, there is Dealy Plaza if you are into all things kennedy. Check all of these out on the Web.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I spent a week in dallas and i never used my car. There is a light rail station that has a super 8 hotel near it. It's on the redline and it's Spring Valley station (100 W. Spring Valley Road, Richardson 75081)--the hotel is just down the street (220 West Spring Valley Rd. Richardson, TX 75081) and the rooms are only around 50 to 60 bucks a night. The light rail is fast (about 65 mph) so you can get to downtown from there in 25 minutes.

From the light rail system you can access:

-The art museums and the symphony, but you have to walk a block or so.
-You can get to the zoo
-You can get to SMU if they have a play or something they are very good, I went to see hamlet
-Lover's lane station on the red line north has several grocery stores close to it and a bank of america and crispy creme.

You need to take the TRE to fort worth, but remember the only place where you need to buy the premium rail pass on the rail is on the last part of the TRE to fort worth.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all the advice. i had an awesome time, even if i didn't spend a lot of time doing dalls, and can't wait to get back. :cheers:

Go to Reunion tower at the Hyatt hotel downtown. The view from up there is great!
we stayed there, and i took my gf up there for anniversary dinner.

-

·
Registered
754 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good time! I've also heard the restaurant at the top of the Hilton Anatole off of Stemmons Freeway has a kick ass view of downtown and the chef is supposed to be one of the up and coming greats in the country. It's close to downtown across the freeway from the World Trade Center.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.