Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am probably going to be in and around downtown LA next week with my dad (very rare that we ever "hang out"). What would you guys suggest doing? Anything fun to see or some place to go or what?

·
Registered
11 Posts
what to do in downtown los angeles next week?

It depends on what you and your dad are into, but I think this upcoming week is a little slow on activities. Then again, it just may be a little too soon and all the cool events may not be posted yet. All the events I mention below are free unless otherwise noted.

Betalevel in Chinatown has a cool martial arts choreography film seminar on Sunday, May 22nd called Wasp & Orchid 2: Iron Monkey.

Cole's, my favorite downtown dive bar, also is home to the best and original French dip sandwiches. Wednesday nights are the best nights and on the 25th, a great Los Angeles band, I See Hawks In L.A. has their residency. They play an all-acoustic show in one of the best rooms to listen to music. My sister had her wedding reception there a few weeks ago, I'll be posting some pics from Cole's on my blog. Paul Marshall (of Strawberry Alarm Clock fame) is in the band and also played at my sister's wedding. I've got 500+ pics to slog through, so hopefully I'll have pics up tonight. There should be some cool downtown skyline pics there as well since the wedding was in a penthouse apartment with unobstructed views of the skyline.

If you're into fine art, there is always MOCA. They have a cool Visual Music exhibit, but it's only there until May 23rd. In addition, there are approximately 14 art galleries on Gallery Row. It's not the week for the monthly downtown artwalk (2nd Thursday of every month), but check out their website, it lists all the galleries and the hours of operation. Most are stumbling distance from me as I am smack dab in the middle of the row, but you can take the DASH to most if not all of them. On Thursday, Pharmaka Gallery hosts a lecture by Mat Gleason, editor and publisher of the Coagula Art Journal titled, "Stop Making Bad Art". Mat is very amusing and Pharmaka is in the white-hot center of the downtown art scene.

If you're into dance, or like watching it, the Music Center's Dance series happens every Friday. Next Friday (5/27), the M.I.L.A. Samba School is giving free samba lessons at 6:30 on the plaza. Then from 7:30-10pm, it's free dancing under the stars. I went to the salsa night a few weeks ago and had a blast. Great people watching, great music, a really good hang on Friday nights.

The Walt Disney Hall has an outdoor amphitheatre featuring world concerts and art events. On Saturday Latina storyteller and author Olga Loya mixes Spanish and English to share traditional tales from Latin America and east Los Angeles. Quetzalcoatl, Alfredo Lope's internationally-renowned band dedicated to the preservation of the rich Latin culture, plays authentic music of Mexico, South America, and Cuba.

I list most of my downtown hangouts in the sidebar of my blog, but Banquette is one of my favorites. It's an Italian coffee and wine bar with great happy hour sample menus. They have outdoor seating and the people watching is great. It's next door to Pete's Cafe, another favorite hang, also with outdoor seating. If you want French rather than Italian or California cuisine, then head over to Angelique Cafe in the Fashion District. They also have outdoor seating, both downstairs and upstairs. The downtown Standard Hotel has a great bar on the roof and a 24-hr restaurant which is very yummy and a visual treat. If you want to drop some cash, Traxx at Union Station is a wonderful restaurant and you can eat on the concourse. Chef Tara cooks genius.

I think that's all I can recommend right now, but check my blog for other downtown Los Angeles happenings and cool places to visit. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks a lot for all of that!

·
5,957 Posts
Hey im coming over to LA for a couple of days and will be heading to the downtown area to see the skyline up close.

What I am wanting to know is if there is a public "observation level" in the US Bank tower? Its one of my favourite skyscrapers in the US, and I was hoping to see the view from the top.

If the public are not allowed up it, what is the tallest building in downtown that has an observation level worth going up?

Also, is the Getty Museum worthwhile going to? Ive heard it has a magnificant view of downtown and pretty much all of LA.

Cheers

Dave (Glasgow, Scotland, UK)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like the Getty Museum. Supposedly LACMA has a better collection of art (I haven't been to the getty for a while so I can't remember) but the Getty has wonderful grounds with gardens and a nice view of West LA. If it's not smoggy you should definitely check it out. Plus it's free (although you have to pay for parking).

·
5,957 Posts
Yakumoto said:
Well, yeah, if you're famous or if you pay them. But if you try just walking in there they won't let you in.
Who says I'm not famous? :)

Right I heard that the getty museum had great views - I hope that my holiday wont be a victim of the old "June Gloom" - I was in San Diego a few years and the weather was a bit crap, to be honest....

·
Registered
404 Posts
LosAng said:
false...Ja Rule did a video on top of the US Bank Tower after 9/11
That was the only Ja Rule video I ever liked :) . That one was dope, they had a BET Access Granted and they were on top of there rollin dice and stuff. Then they shut down Hollywood Blvd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts