SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
The rural area of coastal Alabama, Mississippi and Lousiana come very close. Some people there live in much worse conditions than what I've seen in Egypt and elsewhere. There are entire stretches of countryside there that are more impoverished and sad than words can describe, and the eastern outskirts of New Orleans aren't a lot better. (though I do loooove New Orleans).

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Alabama and Mississippi are the two poorest states, but I don't think you could say they have parts which are "third world".

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
the white house, because its rulled by a 3rd world president:D

·
Fishing
215 Posts
You are looking for "third word" in US. however we are looking for "first word" in China.

·
Super Moderator
21,724 Posts
Not really third world like much of sub-saharan Africa (more like Mexico or Eastern Europe type poor) but places i've been to in the US which I thought were shockingly poor by the standards of a rich country were Clarksdale, Mississippi and Presidio, Texas on the border with Mexico.

Clarksdale

Presidio

Also some outer parts of New Orleans and places in the Navajo nation like Tuba City looked pretty poor.

·
Bring Constantinople back
16,552 Posts
What about South-Central in L.A ?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Most of the Miami area.
Hialeah, Little havana, liberty city, Overtown, Sweetwater, all of NW and so many places in Fort Lauderdale.

Durham, NC Biloxi, Gary, Newark, New Orleans. and so many other places, but most of them are in the South

·
Super Moderator
21,724 Posts
Really Miami? I've heard it's got a high crime rate but I didn't know it was that bad. It's not as poor as some of those texas border towns, native american reservations and alabama/mississippi surely :?:

·
Eat your fudge!
1,918 Posts
set up a criteria.
there are mansions in third-world cities but that doesnt make them first-worlders as there are third-world areas in first-world cities, think about it.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Jonesy55 said:
Really Miami? I've heard it's got a high crime rate but I didn't know it was that bad. It's not as poor as some of those texas border towns, native american reservations and alabama/mississippi surely :?:

Of course not as poor as those, but still very poor for a large city. It's the second poorest large city in the USA after Cleveland, Ohio (hehe, Miami was founded by a woman from Cleveland. Coincidence?). But yeah, crime is the biggest problem.

·
Whole Other Country
735 Posts
I think I need to clear one thing, not all the Texas border towns are poor, place like McAllen, Edinburg, Mission, Laredo, Brownsville and El Paso have some of the highest job growth rate and Salary growth rate in the US. Also Texas border have one of the most beautiful beach in the US - South Padre Island and a wonderful national park - Big Band National Park.

South Padre Island

·
Super Moderator
21,724 Posts
Sexas said:
I think I need to clear one thing, not all the Texas border towns are poor, place like McAllen, Edinburg, Mission, Laredo, Brownsville and El Paso have some of the highest job growth rate and Salary growth rate in the US. Also Texas border have one of the most beautiful beach in the US - South Padre Island and a wonderful national park - Big Band National Park.
Big Bend is beautiful but Presidio looked really poor to me.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.