Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After what has been a significant year for development the region, I thought it would be appropriate to have a short synopsis of what we thought were the best and worst of 2010. If we look at these broad categories, what would be your pick of the year? If anyone can think of any additional categories then lets have them!

Best development - Office
Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel
Best development – Residential
Best overall
Most anticipated of 2011
Worst development

If this goes well, perhaps this could be an annual event (btw that was NH’s idea, not mine, i dont want to steal his thunder!)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyway, to get the ball rolling.....

Best development - Office
: Wellbar Central.

Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel
: ESS. Surely the biggest retail development in Newcastle since ES itself opened.

Best development – Residential:
Cruddas Park refurbs.

Best overall: ESS - has changed the whole retail game in the city centre, and long overdue.

Most anticipated of 2011: Stephenson Quarter

Worst development: 'Get Carter' car park and Trinity Square. Awful - is it too late to get this stopped?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Best development - Office: toss up between Time Central and Wellbar Central
Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel: ESS
Best development – Residential
Best overall
Most anticipated of 2011: the Maynards development at the Ouseburn
Worst development: has to be the execrable Haymarket Hub

·
23,102 Posts
Best development - Office: Wellbar Central.

Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel : Debenhams Department Store.

Best development – Residential : Newcastle Great Park (ongoing).

Best overall : Debenhams Department Store.

Most anticipated of 2011 : INTO Newcastle University.

Worst development : Tyne Tees TV Studios Demolition.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Best development - Office: Can I vote for Downing Plaza here?
Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel: The development of the railway arches behind Central Station
Best development – Residential: Not enough to choose one
Best overall: Downing Plaza
Most anticipated of 2011: Maynards in the Ouseburn (followed closely by the Stephenson Quarter)
Worst development: Haymarket (Gateshead town centre next year and for a decade after!)

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Office: King's Gate - think this opened in nov/dec 2009 but im including it as it had an official opening in Jan/Feb. also liked Cooper Auto building but i think that was even earlier.

Retail/Leisure/Hotel: Forth House refurb (Chinese Church) - looks really smart and they resisted the temptation to demolish the Pink Lane facade. Would've voted for the Central Bar but, you know what, I think i liked it better before! ESS is a great interior but i really dislike a lot of the exterior.

Residential: Cruddas Park refurbs - unbelievable transformation. would still like the streetplan and landscaping to be radically altered though. not a lot of competition is there?

Most Anticipated: Maynard's

Worst Development: New Bridge Street Student res (under construction)

Best Forumer: Joint award to Stamford for all the photo updates and NH for getting us up and running, moderating the subforum and providing tonnes of great archival material keep up the great work fellas. :cheers:

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
What a great idea this was.

Best development - Office: Wellbar Central.

Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel : ESS

Best development – Residential : No vote as I haven't seen much in this area.

Best overall : ESS has had a great impact on the city centre and the ripple effect at the moment shows no signs of stopping.

Most anticipated of 2011 : Newgate centre, it's a tough call between everything though.

Worst development : The Trinity Square plans.

Best Forumer: Stamford is a great forumer and has started to provide a lot of pictures recently, however because of what I know NH does behind the scenes aswell as the information he provides us I have to give it to him, well done NH.

For the record though there isn't one member on here I don't like, it's a pleasure that you all come on here, share your views, and even information which is very much appreciated even if "Thank you" isn't always said. I hope you all continue to contribute and I'll look forward to a great 2011 that could hopefully be even better than this year.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I've not really been involved until half way through the year, but from what I've seen so far:

Best development - Office - Wellbar Central
Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel - ESS
Best development – Residential - Cruddas Park refurbs
Best overall - ESS
Most anticipated of 2011 - Stephenson Quarter & Newgate Centre
Worst development - Tyne Tees & Egypt Cottage demolition
Best Forumer - Thank you for the kind comments, but it has to be NH

·
23,102 Posts
^^

Thank you very much for the votes, though I think the category of Best Forumer was not part of the original listing!!

I really do appreciate what has been said, but I think that as Moderator of the forum, I should be excluded from this category.

Also, in truth there are so many excellent forumers on this site, which is what makes it such a great and enjoyable place to visit, and to moderate!

We are all winners, its been a top class first year, well done EVERYBODY!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
^^

Thank you very much for the votes, though I think the category of Best Forumer was not part of the original listing!!

I really do appreciate what has been said, but I think that as Moderator of the forum, I should be excluded from this category.

Also, in truth there are so many excellent forumers on this site, which is what makes it such a great and enjoyable place to visit, and to moderate!

We are all winners, its been a top class first year, well done EVERYBODY!
NH

Will there be a 2011 Best of?

Adrian Swall

·
The Legend
13,364 Posts
Best development - Office: Downing plaza.

Best development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel : Theatre royal renovation.

Best development – Residential : Downing Plaza business school.

Best overall : Theatre royal renovation, I was there last week and it's such a great building and it's back at it's best.

Most anticipated of 2012 : Last year I said the Newgate centre and it's never happened so I'd like to say I'm still looking forward to that but over all it has to be Monumant Mall, though their isn't many options. I'm also interested in seeing how the rest of the Metro renovation goes.

Worst development : The demolition of the only good buildings in EPS.

Best Forumer: Last year I said NH and even though NH continues his great work I think it's unfair to vote for him again. This time around I'm voting for Steve Elwood, his posts have been first class and he's providing great information in the port of The thread.

·
23,102 Posts
NH

Will there be a 2011 Best of?

Adrian Swall
Well, I had been thinking about it, and I was going to write to BigLebowski about it, in early December.

But, it seems a good idea to decide this now.

If we do it (this year and future years) we could perhaps refine the categories a little bit?

What do people think?

My own initial thoughts, including splitting developments into 'new' and 'completed', are below . . .

1 - New Projects in last 12 months

Best New Development - Office

Best New Development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel

Best New Development – Residential

Best New Development - Overall

2 - Completed Projects over last 12 months

Best Development Completed in last year - Office

Best Development Completed in last year - Retail/Leisure/Hotel

Best Development Completed in last year - Residential

Best Development Completed in last year - Overall

3 - Projects generally

Least liked Development (in either category 1 or 2 above)

Most anticipated Project for next year

4 - Forum Issues

Favourite newcomer to our Forum, in last 12 months

Favourite current thread on our Forum

Any general comments, about our Forum, etc

The 'Forumer' part of the Forum Issues section does not have to be there, if people don't want it, but (though not originally included by B/L) an aspect of that seemed to evolve spontaneously by 'Post 7', and become included last year.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,740 Posts
Well, I had been thinking about it, and I was going to write to BigLebowski about it, in early December.

If we do it (this year and future years) we could perhaps refine the categories a little bit?

What do people think

The 'Forum Issues' section does not have to be there, if people don't want it, but (though not originally included by B/L) an aspect of that seemed to evolve by 'Post 7', and become included last year.
Yes, lose the 'Forum Issues' as EVERYONE who contributes to the Forum would get my vote :cheers:

·
23,102 Posts
Yes, lose the 'Forum Issues' as EVERYONE who contributes to the Forum would get my vote :cheers:

The "forumer" part of the Forum Issues section is actually what evolved into existence spontaneously, last year! That is why I included it again for this year, but this time related specifically to NEW Forumers!

Very happy to lose it though.

What about the other parts of the proposed 'Forum Issues' category though?

I would personally find that of interest and possible value!

·
Part Time Contributor
43,740 Posts
The "forumer" part of the Forum Issues section is actually what evolved into existence spontaneously, last year! That is why I included it again for this year, but this time related specifically to NEW Forumers!

Very happy to lose it though.

What about the other parts of the proposed 'Forum Issues' category though?

I would personally find that of interest and possible value!
Yes, that would be a good way to poll views :cheers:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

What do people think?

My own initial thoughts, including splitting developments into 'new' and 'completed', are below . . .

The 'Forumer' part of the Forum Issues section does not have to be there, if people don't want it, but (though not originally included by B/L) an aspect of that seemed to evolve spontaneously by 'Post 7', and become included last year.

Thanks for the update NH, I think they are a fine improvement on the original 2010 categories. I agree with Steve on the Forum part, I would prefer the onus to be on completed/current/future development than on the forum itself....

Is there any way it could be made a 'sticky' thread until the new year, just to ensure we get as much input as possible and it doesn't slip onto page 2 or 3 before the years out?

·
23,102 Posts
Thanks for the update NH, I think they are a fine improvement on the original 2010 categories. I agree with Steve on the Forum part, I would prefer the onus to be on completed/current/future development than on the forum itself....

Is there any way it could be made a 'sticky' thread until the new year, just to ensure we get as much input as possible and it doesn't slip onto page 2 or 3 before the years out?

Thanks B/L - so, should we go with this precise list/format of categories then?

1 - New Projects in last 12 months

1a - Best New Development - Office

1b - Best New Development – Retail/Leisure/Hotel

1c - Best New Development – Residential

1d - Best New Development - Overall

2 - Completed Projects over last 12 months

2a - Best Development Completed in last year - Office

2b - Best Development Completed in last year - Retail/Leisure/Hotel

2c - Best Development Completed in last year - Residential

2d - Best Development Completed in last year - Overall

3 - Projects generally

3a - Least liked Development (in either category 1 or 2 above)

3b - Most anticipated Project for next year

I have removed ALL the 'Forum Issues' section, not just the bit that Steve commented on, but I can put part of it back if required?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have removed ALL the 'Forum Issues' section, not just the bit that Steve commented on, but I can put part of it back if required?
Sounds good, I'll have a think on and get the ball rolling with some nominations.....

EDIT: Just so I'm clear, for the 'New' developments, do these have to be under construction/in planning or just 'announced'. For example, the Graingertown Radisson is potentially a very exciting development, but it doesn't seem to have got past the initial announcement stage, which was some time ago. Is this eligible?

·
23,102 Posts
Sounds good, I'll have a think on and get the ball rolling with some nominations.....

EDIT: Just so I'm clear, for the 'New' developments, do these have to be under construction/in planning or just 'announced'. For example, the Graingertown Radisson is potentially a very exciting development, but it doesn't seem to have got past the initial announcement stage, which was some time ago. Is this eligible?
I would say (and this is just me) that to qualify as a new development, it would have to be 'under construction'.

If it hadn't reached that stage then it could be logically included in the "anticipated project for next year" section?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts