SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just one higher...
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old Forum site may have been bland and unchanged, (since i joined in 2006 or so)... but the world was at your fingertips and it was incredibly easy to find any city or town on the planet.

I'll apologise now but this is absolutely awful.
15 mins and i'm still trying to find my own city and its posts proper.

Please can we have a choice
To remain with this new confusion...
or
To have access to the old format system.

I understand you work really hard... but this really is confusing and awful :(

LevelUp

·
21,899 Posts
The forum will not be revering to the previous platform. The previous platform was woefully inadequate.

I appreciate it will take a little time to familiarise yourself with the new layout and features but it is a vastly superior platform in terms of functionality and features.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I am inclined to agree, this is super difficult to navigate versus how it was before. I've been logged in for 20 minutes, and all I'm trying to do is find a thread I regularly read. It looks a real mess now whereas it was very neat before, simple, clean and easy to understand. Everything is now really spread out and messy. Like the inclusion of people's profile picture in the actual thread title? What a waste of space. In the space on the screen that one thread takes up now, you used to be able to see 4 threads.

Little details as well like the fact that in the old format, threads with new posts in since your last login were highlighted in bold. So simple, so easy to understand, why would that functionality have been removed? I have to click to see full signature, on a signature that only takes up 1 line? What on earth? a 1 line signature takes up less space than showing half of that one line, then an entire line under it saying "show full signature", what's that about!?

The old format felt much more engaging, it felt like it encouraged you to search around and look at threads from other areas of the globe. This makes me just want to bookmark my regular thread and never search the rest of the site. When I first joined the site, it was because of how obvious and in front of you everything was - I remember finding a thread through a google search and after reading up some info in that thread, the site intrigued me to look further and I did, then I signed up. If I was a new person arriving now, I'd have seen the info that I googled in the first place, and then carried on my day.

If we're going to have a sidebar, maybe that could be used as a list of towns and cities somewat? Or at least a list of categories.
Badger, any idea where on earth the Wolverhampton thread has gone? I can't even find the Birmingham area sub section of the UK. What's going on? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Is their no app now? There isn’t a chance I’m going to continue using the site as it is. I’ve never used the website I’ve always used the app which hasn’t worked for about a week or more

·
6,849 Posts
I thought exactly that london lad. The Scouse forums are a ghost town at the moment. Granted, the city was at a low ebb construction wise before the virus, but the forums have been dead only since the redesign went live. Madness.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Been on here 10 times since the change of format, not sure I'll bother while it's like this, just like a real chore & would prefer to read a book, any book. Loved the desktop version before.

·
10th February 2008
55,720 Posts
Have to agree with the general consensus.

This isn't good.

Thought it was temp due to the drop in advert income, etc.

It looks, feels and works like a basic forum. Something you would use if you had just set a forum up and were hoping it would eventually take off.

It has it's plus points, but they are outweighed by it's negative points.

It would be good and beneficial if a MOD could explain exactly what is going on with SSC.

Thanks.

PS. Why do I need to verify before each post? Pick traffic lights. Pick cars. Pick road signs. That isn't good.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I just find this forum visually unappealing now - difficult, in fact. It's difficult to distinguish between posts, signatures, adverts, etc. as you scroll through, and buttons like the 'Like', 'Quote' etc are all much less prominent and easy to see.

I know it's a tough time to have ended up doing this (perhaps in lighter times we'd have all had a bit more energy to commit to getting used to it), and I guess there is a slow down in construction news as well, but I notice I haven't posted anywhere near as much in the last 2 weeks as much as I usually would have done, or browsed the City Talk forum etc., and it really does feel like it's because the effort in reading the page is too great. From an intuitive design point-of-view, that's an incredibly worrying sign.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I just find this forum visually unappealing now - difficult, in fact. It's difficult to distinguish between posts, signatures, adverts, etc. as you scroll through, and buttons like the 'Like', 'Quote' etc are all much less prominent and easy to see.

I know it's a tough time to have ended up doing this (perhaps in lighter times we'd have all had a bit more energy to commit to getting used to it), and I guess there is a slow down in construction news as well, but I notice I haven't posted anywhere near as much in the last 2 weeks as much as I usually would have done, or browsed the City Talk forum etc., and it really does feel like it's because the effort in reading the page is too great. From an intuitive design point-of-view, that's an incredibly worrying sign.
Im getting adverts that look like posts too. Its also the first time ever ive had error messges on this site. I cant see which posts are and which are old or new. Th old site was much better imo.

·
Birmingham - #1
22,173 Posts
Is there not a way we can get the 'Likes' count back under the username?

I've gotten used to the new layout now, there are better aspects, but it came become very cluttered. The missing 'Likes' count is really the only thing atm that I'm not a fan of.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In the ‘UK & Ireland Architecture Forums’ we have two dead-end sub-forums which when clicked on display the message “There is nothing to display”.

Bizarrely, these sub-forums were used as category titles before the revamp and so they have been carried over into the new format. As they serve no purpose (with each sub-forum being its own category anyway) could a moderator please delete them.

The two empty sub-forums in question are:

‘Discussions on News, Projects and Construction’.

‘Social Places and Forum Issues’

Thanks in advance,

HE

PS. I don’t think the site is awful at all; a massive improvement on the old site.

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
Hi! Do you have problems visualizing the photos? Is there a pop up label asking you for permission to send notifications (and you can't click on the options)? Is a problem of the browser? :( help.

·
Registered
29,211 Posts
I purposely came to find a thread like this just so I could put on record how bad this new site is. It's awful. I hate it. I'm not even using SSC as much now because of how unpleasant it is to use.

I agree with everything that has been said - it's hard to navigate, it's ugly, and by far the worst thing is that a whole quarter of the screen space is taken up by a column that does nothing on the right hand side. Terrible terrible terrible design.

·
10th February 2008
55,720 Posts
I purposely came to find a thread like this just so I could put on record how bad this new site is. It's awful. I hate it. I'm not even using SSC as much now because of how unpleasant it is to use.

I agree with everything that has been said - it's hard to navigate, it's ugly, and by far the worst thing is that a whole quarter of the screen space is taken up by a column that does nothing on the right hand side. Terrible terrible terrible design.
Like many on here I still dislike the new forum, even though I've switched to Google Chrome, and added add blocker on my iMAC . Even on my iMAC it's still not great. Editing posts and posting pictures is an absolute chore. Etc.

However, I prefer using my iPAD, and the new forum is an iPAD killer. It's just dreadful.

The layout of the forum is a complete mess. Navigating it is tiresome. The adds take up large parts of each page. Etc.

The new owners of SSC, the Admin (Jan and Gothic), and the Mods say they are reading the constant complaints, suggestions and ideas to improve the forum, but it's still as it was when it was launched. There have been little or no new changes to the forum or it's layout to improve it.

Sadly it seems we're stuck with this new SSC forum whether the users like it or not. Only the continued drop in posts, posters, lurkers, and most importantly, the drop in revenue from adds, may force the new owners of SSC into making it better or to change it completely?

·
Birmingham - #1
22,173 Posts
The new owners of SSC, the Admin (Jan and Gothic), and the Mods say they are reading the constant complaints, suggestions and ideas to improve the forum, but it's still as it was when it was launched. There have been little or no new changes to the forum or it's layout to improve it.
Where? I don't see them here! Unless they post elsewhere on the website, would be nice to see some sort of confirmation that we are being listened to, you know!

I've just found out you can't post more than 20 images in one post, something the old forum had no issue doing! And you can't edit over 10 posts within a 7 day period (spelling mistakes etc), limitations we haven't been told about as far as I'm aware.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts