SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...When will people learn that holidays in Asian countries (Thailand, BALI, etc.) is bad, bad, bad? I can think of at least 7-8 separate incidents in which Australian tourists in hope of an idealistic holiday to those particular countries have ended up paying with either their life, freedom and both. It's just not safe there and people seem to constantly go back. Why risk your safety? I mean foreign countries can be exciting and I know those places are beautiful, but the loss of life and the ensuing tragedy is just not worth it. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
174 Posts
...When will people learn that holidays in Asian countries (Thailand, BALI, etc.) is bad, bad, bad? I can think of at least 7-8 separate incidents in which Australian tourists in hope of an idealistic holiday to those particular countries have ended up paying with either their life, freedom and both. It's just not safe there and people seem to constantly go back. Why risk your safety? I mean foreign countries can be exciting and I know those places are beautiful, but the loss of life and the ensuing tragedy is just not worth it. :eek:hno:

I'll add some padding to soften the flames.

Mobus - Nothing is going to justify the violence perpetrated against innocent tourists and I can understand why you may think that Asian countries are dangerous in light of these stories, but please remember that millions of tourists visit this region every year and the chances of being a victim of violence is quite low.

Why do people visit Asia? It's stunning that's why.

I will say , however, that I am not so keen to travel to a number of Asian countries due to their dismal human rights records and not so keen to support their state owned carriers either like Emirates, Etihad, Singapore and Malayasian Airlines - just to drop a name or two.

The flip side of this is the outrageous behaviour of some tourists (not only Australians) in Asia who revel in drunkeness and ignorance and think they are above local law.

Closing point - Asia is great, violence is terrible - be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush and behave yourself when you travel..

·
Urban Athiest
Insert blurb here
2,111 Posts
Remember when that tourist got shot in Melbourne a few years ago right in the street in the middle of the day!?

It's just not safe to holiday in Australia!!

People just don't understand the risk they are taking...!!

/sarcasm

·
JOIN YOUR UNION
1,319 Posts
Remember when that tourist got shot in Melbourne a few years ago right in the street in the middle of the day!?

It's just not safe to holiday in Australia!!

People just don't understand the risk they are taking...!!

/sarcasm
Its funny, that is literally how such random criminal acts continue to be reported in the Indian media, dead seriously.

As an aside, he was stabbed by a 15 year old smack head, walking through a public park in a low density suburb late at night. But I guess its easier to just go with the tabloid version that every white person in the world formed a merry go round and took turns at shooting him with a bazooka, in the city square in the middle of the day.

·
ﺕ
1,997 Posts
Australia, please don't become another America where people don't even venture into another culture.

·
Melbourne quality poster
8,791 Posts
so all of asia is unsafe?

just trying to confirm your POV

·
Registered
174 Posts
Let's nip this Australia is racist/ignorant line in the bud.

Australia is hardly racist or ignorant - no more so than other places.

In fact, you'd struggle to find a country as racially progressive as Australia.

A lot of the problems travellers face overseas have a lot to do with the way they behave. Most places aren't inherently dangerous or unsafe.

·
Dance again
1,138 Posts
What does the OP think about
Singapore
China
Japan
???

All relatively safe places.

Btw Australia is technically in asia so I guess we gotta watch out for ************** with guns here too :eek:hno: /wtfwhatcrackareyouon

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
What does the OP think about
Singapore
China
Japan
???

All relatively safe places.

Btw Australia is technically in asia so I guess we gotta watch out for ************** with guns here too :eek:hno: /wtfwhatcrackareyouon
Australia is a separate continent, so not actually part of Asia.
If we are then Europe must be a part of Africa.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Let's nip this Australia is racist/ignorant line in the bud.

Australia is hardly racist or ignorant - no more so than other places.

In fact, you'd struggle to find a country as racially progressive as Australia.

A lot of the problems travellers face overseas have a lot to do with the way they behave. Most places aren't inherently dangerous or unsafe.
What are you basing that on? I can probably be persauded that we're not that bad. But most racially progressive in the world?

Tell me more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Basing it on :

1) The legal rights afforded to all citizens regardless of race, religion etc.

That rules out a good chunk of the world with one swoop.

2) The promotion of multicultralism through SBS and other media outlets. The prominence of translators and translated documents for govt services.

3) Less racial hangups that other countries due to a lack of historical conflicts with others.

Japan nearly invaded Australia in the 1940s = how many Australians carry a grudge over that?

4) Active immigration and integration of refugees and immigrants.

We're are the exception rather than the rule.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.