SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps no city in modern times has been so universally envied, imitated, ridiculed, and, because of what it may portend, feared.

--Encyclopedia Britannica, 1997

Do you agree?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Yeah, sums it up. Doesn't help that the city is quite unfriendly initially.

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
I like it, especially the part where it says feared cough ... jealous citys everywhere... cough.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I don't think NYC has been ridiculed really.

·
Pipe Layer
778 Posts
Aquamadoor said:
I think it can also be applied to New York
I disagree. NYC is respected more than envied, praised more than ridiculed, and glorified more than feared.

BTW this is a perfect description of LA. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I don't know about "universally envied." I don't know of anyone here around Chicago that thinks very highly of Los Angeles---most people just come back complaining about the city but praising the weather. That seems to be the sentiment. Same when I was living in North Carolina: the two great American cities to them were New York and Chicago, with San Francisco close behind. If anything the weather is envied, but not the city. I'm not posting this to be flamebait, just a reality check for those that live in LA and think on the outside everyone is envious of their city, because it just isn't true. Of course these are just generalizations, but in my many years and my multiple living locations, I have never heard anyone say anything that sounded envious of Los Angeles, it's been quite the contrary. Just being real.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
We didn't write the shit, u ass! Please don't come into the LA forum starting up beef that don't even need to exist. If this would have ever been said about Chicago you would not see me trolling over to the Chicago forum just to give Chicago peeps a "reality check".

I swear mothafuckin' Chicago has a middle child complex!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
klamedia said:
I swear mothafuckin' Chicago has a middle child complex!
:rofl: Ha! I never thought of i that way, but, yeah.

I gotta say, that is one of the things I lie about Boston it's npot at all selfconscious.

·
Registered
179 Posts
yoyoniner said:
I don't know about "universally envied." I don't know of anyone here around Chicago that thinks very highly of Los Angeles---most people just come back complaining about the city but praising the weather. That seems to be the sentiment. Same when I was living in North Carolina: the two great American cities to them were New York and Chicago, with San Francisco close behind.
Those are very very old people complaining about LA! Ha!Apparently, for some weird coincidence, I have about a dozen neighbors here in the beach area of LA who are or former native Chicagoans and most have lived here for over five years and raising a family. Also, I have four co-workers who are former native Chicagoans, young and enregetic people! Two of my friend's latest acquaintances are from Chicago! What gives? A friend of mine left LA for Chicago and she came back to LA after six months! I like Chicago from an urban/architectural stand point, a very nice place to visit. But to be civil about this entire discussion, I won't even tell you their reasons for leaving, you can figure that out for yourself!

·
Registered
294 Posts
LOL, you guys are way too sensitive. Just telling you my experiences. You can replace Chicago with New York, North Carolina, Wisconsin, the UK, etc., since my places of residence have not been limited to Chicago. If you thought I was trying to bash LA and boost Chicago you got the wrong guy... I've only been here 2 years and could care less what you say about it. It's not like my home or something. Besides it's just anecdotal... But I knew some of you guys were pretty insecure but I'm just keeping it real--you can either take that information as it is or make up some alternate reality where I am here to bash some city I've never even been to. From all the places I've lived I've run into a lot of people who have visited LA or moved from there--you Southern Californians are all over this country as transplants and a lot of people visit LA. People always talk highly of the weather and the outdoor activities in LA, and always talk very low about the city itself, with pretty much no exception. These are people in their 20's, the age group that my experiences are limited to. I have never seen any hint of envy from anyone, more of a derision for the cost of living, the traffic, and the city itself, but a nostalgia for the great weather.

-

·
city driver
469 Posts
ignorant wannabe hipsters in their (early) 20s are probably the biggest group of LA bashers out there.

But now that's all changing as the newest way to show you're cool and hip is to be like "you ignorant wannabe hipsters think LA sucks, but I'm not so immature. I'm special for knowing LA is cool." just read magazines/newspapers. LA is sooo having a moment in the eyes of people who two minutes ago thought it sucked.

Also that definition was historical. Also it was "envied/ridiculed."

·
city driver
469 Posts
also I'm not saying you're friends are ignorant wannabe hipsters.

But maybe they like shop at Urban Outfitters every once in a while

·
Registered
514 Posts
No city is without haters, but from my experience I only know of two people from Chicago that didn't like it. I know a lot of people from there , and since one of nephew's moms had most of their family from Chicago they have a lot of ties to that city. Yet a good number of them have moved to LA, and my nephew has lots of friends who visit LA quite often. Everyone of his friends I've met loves LA, along with his former roomate.

Most Angelenos move to other parts of the country because of the high cost of living, but very few leave just because they hate it here. I've met former Angelenos, in other states and 9 times out of 10 they will tell you if they could afford to live here and move back they would.

One other thing is I'll guarantee you'll find more former New Yorkers, and Chicagoans living in LA than vice versa. In my condo building (Long Beach) alone I know there are more people here from the east (especially New York) and the mid-west than there are natives Angelenos.

Now with all that said, would I live in Chicago again? Sure, along with other great cities around the USA such as NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Seattle, perhaps Philly, Dallas, and San Francisco. I would do it just for life experience, and the excitement of change. Yet I'm a native Angeleno, and I would always want to come back to live here. Thank god I'm not a person is so content with living in one place only. I'm not so shallow that I don't realize other cities can be just as fun living in other than LA or (fill in the blank). How boring you are when there is a world of great places to experience. Living in a certain city is not the same as visiting its a entirely different experience.

Oh, I'm just keeping it real too.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't know why some of the yoyos on this forum feel such a need to put down LA. I grew up in Chicago. Its a great town and I feel a lot of affection for it. I had a great education and upbringing there. I have no regrets about being a native Chicagoan.....but the reason I have lived in LA for the past thirty years and raised my own family here is obviously because I happen to prefer this town. The weather is part of it but certainly not all of it. I like the more casual atmosphere, the easier multicultural mixing and yes the cultural and recreational attractions, as well as the relatively easy access to the ocean, mountains, and deserts.

For whatever its worth, most of my family is originally from Chicago. MY mother still lives there and considers it the best town in the world and I would never argue with my mother. However, my uncle, aunt, sister, sister-in-law, mother-inlaw, father-in-law, nephew, and more than twenty cousins have migrated out to LA over the past fifty years. None has ever wanted to move back to Chicago, though we all visit back and forth quite a bit. I do have some family that move out here from Chicago and decided they like the Pacific northwest better. No member of my Southern California family has ever moved to Illinois, except for time spent at University and she moved back. I do have a few relatives that went to school in the SF bay area and moved back to Chicago. At work in Century City, I count more graduates of University of Illinois than any other University other than UCLA.

What I guess I am saying is in my experience, people that I know who have lived in both Chicago and LA tend to prefer LA. A lot of people who have only visited LA on vacation may have a different opinion. LA is a difficult town to appreciate on short visits. I hope the LA bashers are happy where they are.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts