Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Naw

Votes: 2 6.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been wondering how many people here were obsessed with SimCity at some point. I certainly was, and will continue to be if I ever get a computer that can handle the new versions. I always liked to try to make a spectacular mountain city with lots of space between lots, but you can only get so realistic. Obviously the game is designed to be optimum with no water or elevation, but that's ugly. I could never do the scenarios or anything. The game really speaks to a lot of otherwise non-gamers. All I know is that once you can go first person Grand Theft Auto in a city you designed, the glorious future will be at hand. Eventually we'll be able to go in buildings with high def video quality, barring terrorism or global warming or global media hype overdose. SimCity Hologram!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think SimCity is a great concept, but it's too unrealistic. Even the latest incarnation is a long way off, despite the attention to regions.

They should try having large, completely connected regions, where you can start cities in tandem and grow them amorphously around each other, instead of being confined to boxes.

Growth should involve land purchases, and there should be more options on types of zones (no mixed-use yet, very limited types of residential and industrial still), height limitations, unit limitations, impact fees and so forth.

There are just a lot of economic specifics to fix. With those in place, it could be a really awesome game.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The whole Simcity series is pretty amazing, really. It's come a long way, and SC4 is far beyond what we would've imagined back when SC1 came out.

Little things bother me about SC4, though. I don't like that lots are essentially combinations of rectangles, so therefore it's impossible for a building to come up along a curving or angular street. I realize that there's only so much a computer can do, but old neighborhoods always have oddly-shaped lots. Also, it bugs me that even the slightest elevation cuts sharply into the amount of land that can be developed, because of the inability to build on slopes. Also, freeways are almost impossible to use effectively in SC4. While that would be nice in real life, it's an annoyance in the game.

On the whole, though, it's a great simulation. I'm sure that, at some deep level, it helped get me hooked on urban development issues.

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
i wasted 4 hours on it this morning...lots of fun after weeks of not really being able to play, and coming weeks where i can't really play.

justadude, there's some nice "angular" buildings on simtropolis, that although they don't grow on angular streets, they look like they fit because of the model. plus i've gotten some nice angular/curvy streets through small lots growing and filling in.

-

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have been obsessed with Sim City from day one, I had all the versions. Then when 4 came out, that took the cake. Now I play it off and on, but I am sure I will still play it when I am well into my 50's, ill keep an old pentium 4 around just for sim city haha.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I hate how the sims can't think on their own, and how the developement patterns are based on, and how they can't drive 15 blocks without complaining about commute. There is no way to make even a small CBD with commercial offices and no residential blocks without anything but gas stations, car lots, and the exact same rectangular building going up, on every spot you zone. And how the rich and the poor buildings will be next to each other.

As previously said, its too un-realistic.

·
Skyscraper Guru
835 Posts
HoustonTexas : "as said before" it is a game

rotten777 : check out simtropolis.com, you will find all you need to know there, and it will improve your gameplay

·
Registered
943 Posts
newyorkrunaway1 said:
HoustonTexas : "as said before" it is a game

rotten777 : check out simtropolis.com, you will find all you need to know there, and it will improve your gameplay
its a "sim" (as in simulator) is suppose to be "real" and alot of the things I mentioned the maxis "wing" of EA Games (inc.) knew what they did wrong, or said they fixed something, and it never changed. Such as "Trying to eliminate the Lick's Ice Cream Effect." which if you've played Sim City 3, you know what I/and/they are talking about. In Sim City 4, its worse then ever before.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
Sim City 4 is an amazing game. The mods on all the Sim City fan sites make the game "near" perfect. It gets easier with experience and fixing the bugs, like the commute problems when Rush Hour was first released.

·
Skyscraper Guru
835 Posts
your have your opinion, but there are enough fans out there who like the game and work to change it, and it has been changed, if you would go to these fan sites, especially the ones listed above, you would see. anyways... im not going to try and start anything here, so thats all i have to say about that, its just a game, dont get worked up dude

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not, but it just doesn't deliever what it promises... :( I am avid on Simtropolis, and downloading alot of MODs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a member on Simtropolis too. I usually just download stuff. I play SimCity 4 a lot. But I must say the Simtropolis community has done much more for SimCity 4 than EA ever has. :)

·
Here come the warm jets
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that poll was pointless. i just like the way simcity, and games in general, are gradually rotating from aerial 2D perspective to first person arcade. simcity will be a great virtual reality concept--all simulators will be

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I love that game thanks to simtropolis i started playing again and also have better methods then back when i started playin but overall it has some things i hate but still a good game.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
I have been a fan since day one too! In highschool wheb the first version came out, I wouldn't sleep for days!

As for SC4, I like it, but I am never able to get the biggest skyscrapers in my city, even if I have a huge population..including my region. I get some, but the biggest are always residential buildings, not the fancy commerical towers depicted on the box and graphic. I would like to see more focus on regions with the next version...not having to exit from your city to the go to thye next would be great. Also, I think more detail for airports and seaports would be good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts