Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Architect: MAKE Architects

Developer: English Cities Fund

18/71824/LBC | Erection of 7-storey office building (Use Class B1a) and formation of parking area within railway arches and pedestrian link between New Bailey and Gore Street, means of access, landscaping, together with ancillary facilities, servicing and public realm, associated localised repair and redecoration of the Southern Railway Viaduct (Grade II* Listed) | Plot 1 New Bailey / Plots B2/B3 Salford Central Masterplan At Land Southwest New Bailey Street And Southeast Salford Central Station

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Can't we just build a couple of skyscrapers here instead of loads of smaller blocks.

I don't understand why we build buildings so cheek by jowel still to this day. I don't get why, for example, why Spinningields doesnts have fewer taller buildings instead of the cramped district its been turned into.

Don't get me wrong I love Spinningields but it does nothing for the skyline and all the buildings are so close together that we can't appreciate them.

I get that during medieval or Victorian times circumstances were different and that's why we have narrow winding roads. I don't understand why a blank slate like this (and Spinningields) is still adhering to (relatively) short buildings hemmed in together.

Are there any architects or town planners out there who can explain why this is . Ta

·
Registered
467 Posts
Does anyone know if the future plot 2 may still be the genuinely interesting angular design that MAKE had proposed a couple of years ago, which was included in earlier development renders? That was by far my favourite build proposed on this development, and would be a real gateway landmark build considering its relative low height. Hopefully this basket building doesn't signal the end of that.

Regarding this build, it looks good, bar the rather too jazzy colour scheme. Id like to see this in a graphite or black.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Can't we just build a couple of skyscrapers here instead of loads of smaller blocks.

I don't understand why we build buildings so cheek by jowel still to this day. I don't get why, for example, why Spinningields doesnts have fewer taller buildings instead of the cramped district its been turned into.

Don't get me wrong I love Spinningields but it does nothing for the skyline and all the buildings are so close together that we can't appreciate them.

I get that during medieval or Victorian times circumstances were different and that's why we have narrow winding roads. I don't understand why a blank slate like this (and Spinningields) is still adhering to (relatively) short buildings hemmed in together.

Are there any architects or town planners out there who can explain why this is . Ta

I’m with you on this one, to my (albeit untrained and unknowledgeable about such things) eye, rotate 90 degrees and there’s a 20 or so storie office tower. I appreciate there will greater cost going higher but with so few office towers in the city surely there would be a prestige element to market it with? Might get knocked down by the ‘in the know’ for this but it seems like short sightedness that is keeping us as a provincial city when to grow beyond London we need to start building standout business districts.

·
10th February 2008
61,600 Posts

Because our towers are placed around or close to the inner city ring Road as a rule. Unofficial/official council policy. Hence why there has been a massive uproar about St Michaels being so close to the town hall and the city centre core.

Plus look at all the office clusters now. Once there was only the CBD and that was really it. Now there is that, Spinningfields, St Peter's Square, NOMA, First Street, Circle Square. SCC also want a piece of the action with Embankment and New Bailey. Business rates, development, etc.

·
10th February 2008
61,600 Posts
I like it. It's got an Art Deco look to it.

I think Manchester does brilliant Office blocks.

No1 St Peter's Square.
No2 St Peter's Square.
101 Embankment.
100 Embankment.
No8 First Street.
125 Deansgate.
No1 Spinningfields.
XYZ.
CJC (Courts)
The other Spinningfields Office blocks.
Landmark.
Etc.
Now this and the other 2 New Bailey Office blocks.

We really are spoilt when it comes to Office blocks.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If it is council policy it is just ridiculous considering how hemmed in the town hall is already. At Michael's is at least a few blocks away.

They need to tear down those ugly office blocks between the town hall and Deansgate and create a proper public square and show off the town hall in all its splendour.

·
Shabba!
493 Posts
When the tenants move in this is really going to busy up Salford Central station. Does anyone know of any plans to increase capacity there?

I currently have the trauma of commuting Daisy Hill to here or Victoria and i know thats mostly down to delays with electrifying the line have added to delays but capacity is still piss poor on what are essentially mattresses on wheels.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I still think a market underneath those arches would do very well. Perhaps when the area picks up with more offices and hotels and apartments
Agreed but....

Look and you will find.

Seems it will be quite limited to those blue studio units as the majority of the arches are to be taken up by the car park for office plot 1 (B2 + B3). Hopefully the "quirky reimagined space beneath the viaduct" (once known as booth street) will bring the area to life with art, live installations, pop up retail, outdoor gyms and even one-off markets. Though I hope the space is maybe reimagined into something resembling the horse stable markets in Camden. However I fear this will be a much more commercial development and will end up something like Bank end / Clink street in Southwark. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer the smaller more niche offerings of Camden and it better keeps money in the local economy then another Nandos.

It's a shame the new Bailey car park wasn't made bigger so that we could keep the archways and have a bigger retail space under the archways which connected to Salford Central station. Though the new "Viaduct court space" connecting the station with restaurant offerings and public space, will be a big improvement. Just a shame the plan didn't go more bold as the ideas of markets and regular cinema screenings in this space sound so much more wonderful than a secure compound car park plot....

1 - 20 of 230 Posts