Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
BLAND
8,868 Posts
I find it hard to have faith in companies that use very old backgrounds for their renders.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great pictures indeed, shame about the development though, staggeringly inappropriate for the location. Whilst I don't think that the Shard detracts from the UNESCO world heritage site, bland value engineered drivel like three quays starts to add weight to UNESCO's arguments.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well, I suppose you have to admire The City, in an ironic way. Their strategy continues to be to line the riverside with junk, but each individual piece of junk is individually awful.

From the bastardised Unilever House to the Tower, is there any single piece of post-1945 architecture of any merit at all?

·
Londinium langur
10,334 Posts
This could have been nice without the random cladding.

·
cockney sparrow
4,460 Posts
So grateful that heritage bodies have spent so long trying to stop skyscrapers getting built whilst stuff like this just sails through. Staggeringly awful renders and I've little faith the real thing will be particularly good.

·
Registered
429 Posts
And so the north bank of the Thames continues to be lined with virtually unbroken mediocrity. For such a prime location, the sheer laziness of the design is frankly unforgivable.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
You think this is bad take a look at this beaut for the corner of Minories, directly opposite the ToL. Predictably there is no hysteria from EH et al.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,801 Posts
A stone building would have worked wonders, I'm not one to advocate pastiche architecture but I think a site that sits next to such landmarks as the Tower and Tower Bridge should have at least used a similar palette of materials. I can't recall the names of them now, but there were a couple of high quality builds in the City that were recently completed - something akin to that would really liven the waterfront up without being detrimental to the key buildings.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Given the location and popularity of the tower front walk, I'd have thought a much better strategy would have been to extend the riverside public space and to move the tower pier along a bit to where three quays is being built, the current position of the pier is very awkward and really doesn't complement the tower at all. It's also very tricky for mooring ships mid-tidal flow.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts