Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Liver Building. It's a fantastic chunk of work.

To many of us it's our most iconic, our most important, in 800 years of happening it's our finest architectural moment.

What can rival it?

Paddy's? I don't think so. It's "there", it's ok rather than being truly great, or a truly great piece of architecture.

Anglican? Monolithic, ugly/beauty? Who can say? And who can say what we'll think of it in 500 years? It could be a contender for our "most cherished" one day.

The 3XR Museum? This would be our most promising newcomer. I believe it's an absolute classic. Would it ever become seen as Liverpool's most important piece of architecture though?

I'm not sure any of these will ever really challenge the Liver Building. I'm not sure any of them have quite enough in enough areas to do that.

The real challange to the Liver Buildings however has just been unveiled. I believe this building has an adventure, an audaciousness, and a presence unknown before in this city. I actually believe that should it emerge to be true to it's leaked renders and it gets passed, it has the power to transform the level we set for architecture in Liverpool, what it can be. This WILL change the city.

It's New Anfield "Thunderbird 7" and it's set to become Liverpool's very finest, most iconic and most important building for 100 years.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a Tiger Moth would you believe?

From the 1968 film appropriately named, Thunderbird 6

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If that was Everton's new ground you wouldn't have made this post, would you?

And rightly so.

While it is a unique and impressive design it's still just a football stadium, to say it could be the best or most important piece of architecture in the whole city is nonsense.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
What it will be, if it is built unimpeded, is the most interesting and unique stadium design in Britain, if not Europe.

It will be a magnificent advert for the city of Liverpool and it will be a damn sight better than the carbon copy rip of, of the Estadio Da Luz, that the original plans would have had it.

I genuinely hope this gets built without any problems. I am genuinely excited by the city having it....and I also hope that after a few years it will be expanded to 80,000.

I just wish Everton/Liverpool City Council/Peel/Tesco and co had just as large an ambition, to build something of equal stunning design for the blues.

Sadly I think the club is doomed to some peice of shit soulless, cheap and nasty effort in another borough.

I really do think the council doesn't give a shit anymore (if it ever did) and i believe the club are going to force the issue kirkby's way.

A damn shame in my opinion. Imagine....Liverpool, a one club city.

·
Fiat Lux
7,596 Posts
Now this thread clearly does belong on Skybar or Bammy's Beacon - whatever it's called now.

The difference?

Whimsy no matter how 'entertaining' belongs in skybar.

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
There is a clear design debate going on here.

Eyam thinks it's just a stadium and wouldn't be seen as "important". I'd argue that as it would be the most unique and eye catching arenas in the country it would be very important to liverpool's standing in the country and europe.

Perhaps more so than a waterfront 60 storey.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If that was Everton's new ground you wouldn't have made this post, would you?

And rightly so.

While it is a unique and impressive design it's still just a football stadium, to say it could be the best or most important piece of architecture in the whole city is nonsense.
What's the Colloseum? Just a ex-stadium.
What's the Empire State? Like the Liver, just an office.
What the Eiffel? Just a viewing platform
What's the Guggenhein? Just a gallery.
What's St. Pauls? Just a church.

Do you really not get this?

Try considering the post please.

·
I caught a falling star
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now this thread clearly does belong on Skybar or Bammy's Beacon - whatever it's called now.

The difference?

Whimsy no matter how 'entertaining' belongs in skybar.
Actually, some of were talking about design.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Surely if it was that good it wouldn't be a Thunderbird, it would be something new and better altogether?! Why would it need to use the identity of the Thunderbirds to look good? Surely it would be good enough to stand up and be appreciated by itself?

Besides, everyone knows Thunderbird 2 was the best. Thunderbird 2 will never be beaten.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
St Pauls looks like a toad. St Michael and All Angels Church in Blackheath is beautiful, however. Talking about churches in London, like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts