SkyscraperCity Forum banner
2141 - 2160 of 3253 Posts

·
CompayEE
184 Posts
Like 99% or rather 99.9% of people on the West know only three Chinese cities at most: Beijing, Shanghai and Hongkong. Tianjin, Wuhan, Shenzen, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Chengdu, Chongqing etc are just some unknown Chinese words for them that could occur in some China-related news.
It very much depends on where precisely you live in the so-called West. It's not quite the same to be living in London or, conversely, in some provincial backwater somewhere, say in Nebraska (no offence intended). Don't tar all the inhabitants of the 'West' with the same brush (of ignorance).

The chances are that if you ask your average Circle/District line passenger to name more than three Chinese cities (s)he will probably mention Chengdu or Chongqing (or perhaps Harbin and Nanjing too) but then many of these knowledgeable people are heading to their City jobs.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Like 99% or rather 99.9% of people on the West know only three Chinese cities at most: Beijing, Shanghai and Hongkong. Tianjin, Wuhan, Shenzen, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Chengdu, Chongqing etc are just some unknown Chinese words for them that could occur in some China-related news.

I know that because before I joined SSC I was not much better ...
You underestimate the stupidity of many people. Much less people know three cities in China than you think.

·
12,702 Posts
You underestimate the stupidity of many people. Much less people know three cities in China than you think.
I wanted to write 99.99% but I think it is not that bad.
Try to ask anyone even with high education to tell all names of Chinese cities that he/she could remember (and is not participating here on SSC ofcourse :D)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just take the Chinese immigrants in the west, you'll already be far over your absurd 0.1%, add the second generation and you're off the charts. Now, even if you only take people without any chinese origin, just with the numerous students that went to china for an internship, adding tourists, and the large number of people doing business with China ...

0.1% is a ridiculously small number. Maybe in your social environment, nobody knows anything about China, but don't forget that there is other environments where a large proportion of people knows a big deal about it, or actually went to China.

·
Registered
28,688 Posts
Just take the Chinese immigrants in the west, you'll already be far over your absurd 0.1%, add the second generation and you're off the charts. Now, even if you only take people without any chinese origin, just with the numerous students that went to china for an internship, adding tourists, and the large number of people doing business with China ...

0.1% is a ridiculously small number. Maybe in your social environment, nobody knows anything about China, but don't forget that there is other environments where a large proportion of people knows a big deal about it, or actually went to China.
I have to agree with this statement apart from the Chinese immigrants, second and third generations living aboard, business people, students and tourists along with ex pats living in China , football fans who follow the Asian Champions League and so . Notwithstanding all of the above I find it difficult to believe that most people haven't heard of Macau a city not named in the original list. There is no evidence presented to back his claim that only there are only three cities in China known to the general public in the west.

·
Registered
82 Posts

I know that because before I joined SSC I was not much better ...
The same can be said for Chinese people. Ask the average person here to name 3 western cities and they would probably come up with London, Paris and New York. This isn't a uniquely western issue, our media tends to be fairly localized whether you are Chinese or British or American.

How many people in the west could name three cities in Russia or England? After the capital, *most* cities in a given country are not as globally important. Besides, you might not be able to immediately name Naples as being part of Italy, but after hearing it you might go "Oh riiiight!"

In all honesty, after Beijing and Shanghai (and Hong Kong, I guess) *how* important are the other Chinese cities? If you want to get picky, Yiwu should be high up on that list and it's not even a "city" in the same sense as Chengdu or Shenzhen as it is part of Jinhua City.

·
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2
1,372 Posts
^^ Just amazed this "bare" structure is taller THAN anything in my country.. (usa) I would love to see this in person..

2141 - 2160 of 3253 Posts