Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Professional
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tragically Tim Russert died today...i was extremely surprised by this news when i got home...

everyone knows how much Tim Russert liked the Bills and wrote about his young years in buffalo...

have you ever heard buffalo talked about so much in the national news media?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I could not hold back the tears watching Meet the Press today. The final shot of the empty interview desk and one lone empty chair was very very sad. Double the sadness when they put Tim's name up in the credits as executive producer.

·
Professional
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
schumer and clinton are going to get the last stretch of road to the bills stadium to be renamed for russert

·
Banned
152 Posts
He was to Buffalo what Drew Carey is to Cleveland. He will truly be missed. I got very teary eyed when at the end of Friday night's dateline tribute Tom Brokaw ended by saying "Go Bills"

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
He was my mother's first cousin (whatever that makes him to me)...I can't believe he's gone. I got a call when I was at a car dealership in NH (being that I was traveling, I was blissfully ignorant of everything) and I still don't know what to think about it. Collected a bunch of newspapers while out of town...

Buff, I know you're still bitter from the time he mercilessly grilled Cheney (who thoroughly deserved it by not answering a single question) in that interview a few months ago...get over it. Let's take a cue from Tim and stop adhering to this failed belief in political party alignments. So far in the space of less than 10 years we've seen them both crash and burn, yet we stupidly continue...

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
He was my mother's first cousin (whatever that makes him to me)...I can't believe he's gone.
ST, my condolences to you & your family on the passing of Tim Russert. I was really shocked when I read the news over the weekend about his untimely death.

Russert was really a remarkable personality, one of a kind. I’m sure he must have been looking forward to covering the rest of this year’s exciting & remarkable presidential campaign. His books were very interesting also. He was also a great fan & representative of Buffalo & the Bills.

His death is great loss to the area, most of all his old hood, South Buffalo.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
One of the people they interviewed on CNN Friday night said he's probably kicking himself more than anybody right now because he's going to miss what'll probably prove to be the most interesting election season in some time...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
He was my mother's first cousin (whatever that makes him to me)...I can't believe he's gone. I got a call when I was at a car dealership in NH (being that I was traveling, I was blissfully ignorant of everything) and I still don't know what to think about it. Collected a bunch of newspapers while out of town...

Buff, I know you're still bitter from the time he mercilessly grilled Cheney (who thoroughly deserved it by not answering a single question) in that interview a few months ago...get over it. Let's take a cue from Tim and stop adhering to this failed belief in political party alignments. So far in the space of less than 10 years we've seen them both crash and burn, yet we stupidly continue...
I don't think I said anything wrong, Russert was a Democrat, but I liked his journalism...and I said nothing about Cheney...?

whatever.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I didn't realize people seemed so ashamed of the party now...I just pointed out his slight left leaning journalistic style...he'll be remembered as a journalist...so who the hell cares.

Anyways, Russert supported the war in Iraq so he's always good in my book. :)

·
Beer is a Tasty Treat
769 Posts
politically, not personally.

anyways, thanks guys for turning a RIP Tim Russert thread into a political squabble. Nice.
I know saying "you started it" sounds immature, but, you WERE the one who insisted on pointing out his political party as if we were ignorant of his history with Senator Pat Moynahan.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I know saying "you started it" sounds immature, but, you WERE the one who insisted on pointing out his political party as if we were ignorant of his history with Senator Pat Moynahan.
hows this sound, is there anyone in the Northeast forum that doesn't know I'm the resident GOP / Neo-con? so, in knowing that...If I state his political affiliation and then say, regardless how much I honor his journalistic style...that means I'm putting the politics aside and honoring him for what he will be remembered.

I mean, go ahead and make me out to be the evil republican if you want but Tim's passing is as much a loss for the GOP as it was for the Dems. If it makes you all feel better...go for it. :eek:hno:

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
how can you still be a neo-con when all of their actions have been proven as failures?

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
There are different shades of being a conservative or neo-con, just as there are any other political stripe.

You have the ones who actually promote the real conservative values - smaller government, less entitlement, so on and so forth, and then you have the ones who fall in lockstep with the establishment and believe any difference in personal opinion is unloyal, or worse, unpatriotic (which seems to be more common among conservatives than liberals, but maybe that's just how it seems given the current power balance - either way it's not good for anybody but those in power). So much of the current regime is in conflict with true conservatism on so many levels, it really is a complete perversion or even hijacking of the principles. A true conservative (read: libertarian) would not have started an illegal war abroad, would not establish and further entrench a fiat currency, etc.; a true Christian (which I have to bring into the argument because so many neo-cons like to bring it in) would not believe in raping the world's natural resources and environment (re: oil, the whole "God made us stewards of the earth" thing), and gay marriage would not even be an issue (obviously some details would need to be sorted out but for the most part it's a religious issue - remember good ol' separation of church and state?) as long as the nation actually had religious tolerance. That's just scratching the surface.

Sorry, but your unwavering support of the current failed regime (which has been an unmitigated failure from both the standpoints of any liberal or any "true" conservative) leaves me no choice but to believe you're of the latter.

I'm curious, as long as we're talking about it and you found it so easy to figure out Tim's (despite few others knowing) - what do you make of my political "affiliation"? Or can't you because it doesn't fall into the divisive not to mention regressive duopoly of failure which has had a grip on this country for at least the last 75 years (not to say there haven't been a few bright spots interspersed)?

BTW, I read somewhere that Tim would have probably voted for McCain on account of (like many others) his greater experience in foreign policy. Over the years, he did seem to grill dems worse than 'pubs, if you noticed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.