Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
10th February 2008
60,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should raise a legitimate campaign, perhaps in the feedback forum, or properly lobby for it. Has it been tried before? Try again... until they sort it, otherwise they'll either end up banning us all or we'll be walking away as people have done and then this section will just be dead without any of the dedicated contributors, the few that still linger here and then they wont have to worry about a moderator because there will be no one to moderate.
Well said Jon.

We've waited long enough and asked enough times. We want a new Manchester Mod. If anyone else feels the same please add your name to the list.

jrb.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Exactly, and active not just in the post a lot sense - but actually gets out there with a camera, or does some research on the net a finds stuff. Not just a lazy hanger-on like me!
Also I think it's important that the person can let an argument go, always keeps a level head, and if possible is enthousiastic about things rather than cynical (even if cycnicism is usually the realistic option). Helps keeps spirits up!

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
What are we expecting from a new mod, anyway... the issue to whoever does it is that they'll be walking a line between people saying they aren't doing enough and people accusing them of going too far and censoring. Do we want someone in here deleting off topic posts, actively telling people to stay on topic etc... or something else, leading topics and contributing actively photos etc? What would we be 'electing' a new mod to do in the Manchester forum. Seems an obvious question but one worth defining, seeing as the job's a bit murky around here!

·
Administrator
35,220 Posts
thanks guys, ive just been turned onto this. it will ALL be taken care of. i see the current situation is total cack and we're on it. justice will be done.

now, who wants to nominate a mod?

·
1,821 Posts
As a frequent viewer and infrequent poster I'd certainly vote for JRB. He's always on here, does his research and photography and is less prone to 'emotional outbursts' than some others.

But I'd have anyone capable of keeping a lid on things. I'm a bit bored of reading GCSE economics opinions on the housing market on the Eastgate thread for example.

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
But I'd have anyone capable of keeping a lid on things. I'm a bit bored of reading GCSE economics opinions on the housing market on the Eastgate thread for example.
This is exactly what I have issue with, not that content in particular, but going into a thread about a project and everytime finding posts which belong in the Manchester skybar or something. Happening in too many threads, need someone keeping them tidy.

·
1,821 Posts
I agree. I have no problem with people discussing the housing market - but not on the wrong thread.

And I would have thought a London, Leeds and Liverpool bashing threads would be stickies on a Manchester forum, rather than get deleted. Us provincials love our petty rivalries.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
There are some people who might behave here but regularly don't behave when they visit the Liverpool forum, and so it would surely not be right for such a person to have modding powers in the Liverpool forum? One reason we got Gareth was that CAW found it impossible to be impartial in such situations, or so he sometimes said. If there is to be a "northern" mod then hopefully it can be someone who is held in good esteem on the Liverpool forum as well as this one. Indeed one or two who have posted on this thread have "form" for aggression and city-bashing. We all know those who behave well (weirdly two of them were banned briefly this evening), and those who have a bad record.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
As a frequent viewer and infrequent poster I'd certainly vote for JRB. He's always on here, does his research and photography and is less prone to 'emotional outbursts' than some others.

Unfortunately JRB has a reputation on the Liverpool forum for aggressive city-bashing, so his past comes back to haunt him. I don't know how he behaves here, but he is far from popular - and for good reason - on the Liverpool forum. Because mods act across all the forums, not just in a local one, it seems highly unlikely that someone who has antagonised the busiest local forum would make a suitable choice. Sorry if that sounds mean, but he has bad form, and has acted in a very "un-mod like" way on the Liverpool forum over a prolongued period of time. The only reason he visits less often these days is that people ignore him, and some I think have him on their ignore list.

Jerv is another. Sir Miles Platting. Irwell/Early Bird, I could go on....they have like JRB caused too much offence too often to be suitable for such a position, in my opinion.

There are far better choices on the Manchester forum - those who don't routinely city bash and who haven't disgraced themselves away from home, so to speak.

·
I love those crazy dutch
11,569 Posts
It'd be nice to have a dedicated mod for each city section, who actually lives in the area, has a vested interest in the area and can actively contribute content about the area.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts