SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
BANGED
772 Posts
What's the next tallest building going up? Freedom Tower? IBC? Burj Dubai?

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
Hamburg's Town Hall (construction finished 1897) is classified as a highrise by some (incl. emporis) and is 112m high making it higher than the Manhattan Life and the St.Paul Building.

Philadelphia's City Hall (construction end 1901) with it's 167m is also classified as highrise at emporis and would be the highest "scraper" until completion of the Singer Building.

However I acknowledge that these two are special cases and couldn't be counted as real highrises as the purpose of the tower itself can be compared to church towers instead of real skyscrapers. :)

·
Banned
285 Posts
DiggerD21 said:
Hamburg's Town Hall (construction finished 1897) is classified as a highrise by some (incl. emporis) and is 112m high making it higher than the Manhattan Life and the St.Paul Building.

Philadelphia's City Hall (construction end 1901) with it's 167m is also classified as highrise at emporis and would be the highest "scraper" until completion of the Singer Building.

However I acknowledge that these two are special cases and couldn't be counted as real highrises as the purpose of the tower itself can be compared to church towers instead of real skyscrapers. :)

Your absolutely correct but on the other hand I've seen the milwaukee city hall listed as one of the worlds tallest buildings along with steel beam skyscrapers. The philly city hall has an observation deck under billy penns feet which is huge and a bell tower with an elevator going to the observation deck. The building is listed as 8 stories. It's still the worlds largest masonry building without steel beams. Also with the majority logic spires should not count on buildings either.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
hmm i see a problem between 1974 and 2004 the fact a metal pole is higher than the Sears Tower made it taller thats bullshit and shame that the WTC is gone that was one hell of a structure.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ yeah thats pretty dumb how the Petronas are considered taller than the Sears tower... The Sears looks like the taller structure.

I miss the twin towers more and more with every picture I see of them.

Also, the timeline shows how NYC basically dominated in height the early 20th century.

·
Celebrity Fitness
1,567 Posts
stop your pointless statement.Petronas and Sears are no longer the tallest.we argued enough about this matter.Or else,this topic will be discussed at greater lenght,once again. :cheers: :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts