SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might go to Spain for 7-8 days in June. What are some things i could do in those places?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My tip for barcelona, most restaurants around and on Las Ramblas are tourist 'shit',
I had such a bad experience. Also watch out for pick pockets on Las Ramblas, they are everywhere.

In Madrid visit a street called 'Calle de toledo' behind the Plaza Mayor, and preferably visit it in the afternoon when the sun is still setting on the city, I accidently stumbled accross it on my last night in Madrid, my most favourite street in the world. Example:

·
Registered
meow
9,839 Posts
Oh in Madrid you MUST go to Parque Retiro, my favorite place in the city! And if you like some alternative culture, you might wanna drop by Calle Fuencarral (Metro station Tribunal)

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
You should say what you are looking for first.

There are thousands of guides and reviews about the most touristic spots in every city, but we could help you with any advice or suggestion according to what you like.

·
Global Citizen
4,304 Posts
7-8 days strike me as a bit short for these 3 cities, but as Stifler already said we need to know more about the things you are interested in if you want to have specific advise.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should say what you are looking for first.

There are thousands of guides and reviews about the most touristic spots in every city, but we could help you with any advice or suggestion according to what you like.
Just some site seeing and some nightlife spots to meet people. Some museums might be a bonus.

·
Global Citizen
4,304 Posts
Barcelona:

Must-see sights: Parc Guell, Barri Gotic, Sagrada Familia, La Pedrera, Tibidabo and Montjuic for the views, Font Magica @ Night

Recommended daytrip: Montserrat

Madrid:

Must-see sights: Palacio Real, Gran Via, Retiro Park, Plaza Mayor, Teleferico ride for the views, Prado, El Rastro market

Recommended daytrip: Toledo

Hotels:
Hotels in both cities are relatively cheap compared to other European cities such as London, Paris or Amsterdam and you shouldn't have a problem finding good ones in a central location for a decent price.

Eating:
When it comes to restaurants, Spanish eating habits are quite strange (only small meals during the day and one large meal in the late evening) which results in some difficulties to find regular restaurants that are open at noon and serve a decent-size lunch. Try to stay away from the restaurants on the Rambla in Barcelona and on the Plaza Mayor in Madrid as they are rip-offs and rather find a restaurant a bit off the beaten path where the food quality is usually better as well.

Getting around:
Getting around is no problem at all, since both cities have fantastic subway systems with lines serving all parts of the city. Another good thing is that they usually run until 1.30 in the night and not stop their service already at 11 as in many other cities.

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
Just some site seeing and some nightlife spots to meet people. Some museums might be a bonus.
Ok, then I will give you my two cents, although Raptor is pretty spot-on as usual.

I have visited all of them, but I will only give my opinion about Madrid, since it's the one I know the most.

Madrid

Historical city:
Area between Sol and Opera stations. There you can find the Royal Palace, Almudena Cathedral, Plaza Mayor...

Must-see streets:
- Gran Vía (plenty of cinemas, theatres and nice buildings)
- Paseo del Prado (the so called 'triangle of art' as the 3 main museums are located in this avenue. City's stock change and Congress are next to it),
- Alcalá (some suberb buildings there).

Parks:
Retiro is the place where all the locals and tourists go. Big, centric and extremely lively.

Skyscrapers:
A walk between Nuevos Ministerios and Chamartin station is a good and easy way to see most of them.

Museums
El Prado is a must. Thyssen and Reina Sofia are the other two main museums, and all of them are really close.

Daytrips:
- Toledo: for me a top-three Spanish town. Unique. Reachable by bus (1h journey and around 8€ return) or HS-train (30min and around 15€ return).
- El Escorial: stunning, but I would avoid it if you don't have too much time. It takes around 1h by train from Madrid.

Sleep
Easy to find hotels in the 50€-80€ range for a double room. 'Hostales' (hostels where you don't have to share the room with anybody) are a good option too, around 30€-50€ for a double.

Transport
Public transport is one of the best in the world. The metro is extensive and inexpensive. A 10-journey ticket (valid for all means of transport) is around 7€ and you can also get a tourist pass with endless journeys (around 9€ for 3 days).

Eat
As usual, if you want to eat in a terrace of a main square prices will be really high. You can find better quality-price ratios in the surroundings of the main touristic spot. La Latina is a very popular area between locals.

Nightlife
It has one of the most lively nights in Europe, although in summer most of the locals leave the city and places are not that crowded. From midnight to 4am and from Thursday to Saturday you will find the most people going out. Popular areas:
- Huertas (Anton Martin station), with lots of different styles.
- Malasaña (Metro Tribunal) if you want something more alternative.
- Chueca (Chueca station) is the gay-friendly area.

·
BCN SPA
698 Posts
Also watch out for pick pockets on Las Ramblas, they are everywhere.
oh shit, stop this bullshit now! I'm drunk, I came back by walking to my house and nothing happened! don't be such a stupid dumb abnormal person and nothing is gonna happen! just act like a normal person! stop bashing! just shut up and don't be stupid! :bash:

·
Registered
meow
9,839 Posts
When I went to Madrid I stayed in some hostal called Hostal Sil Serranos or something like that. In Calle Fuencarral, costed me about 65 € per night, near Tribunal station.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ltbk . You'd be going at a pretty good time of the year if you went to Madrid . July and August would have to be the worst time to visit my fav European city . As it is ridiculously hot and alot of things shut down .

Any other time i guarantee you will fall in love with this awesome city .
And don;'t forget to hit the streets late at night . This is one of Madrids most famous features . And do visit Real Madrids trophy museum for real culture :lol: Joking . Impressive museum though . You should visit it for real .

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
oh shit, stop this bullshit now! I'm drunk, I came back by walking to my house and nothing happened! don't be such a stupid dumb abnormal person and nothing is gonna happen! just act like a normal person! stop bashing! just shut up and don't be stupid! :bash:
lol. Well I witnessed like 5 pickpocket when I was there, and when my brother lived in Barcelona he got into a fight with one trying to steal a friends wallet.
So if you look very tourists (bunbags/backpacks and such) you'll you will be seen as an easier target. Safe as hell though, I feel safer around there and in the back alleys over the low density suburbs i'm living in at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts