Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, its the first time i'm visiting your forum, and i got to say its really nice!.

i've been planing to pack my stuff and go to la prefferably a litle appartment in hollywood area. ive seen some appartment rental sites who got some nice stuff going on for 1500 $/m

can anyone help me out what the normal expense is over there and how much someone needs to get a normal good life in hollywood area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
Welcome to LA! I think we have a couple of realtors in the forum so I'll let them guide you through the apartment situation; I assume they also will have guides to the cost of living in various areas.

If you want to be in the city, you may also want to consider downtown, Koreatown, Silver Lake or Westlake. If you like the beach, head west, and of course, there are many nice suburban areas, many of which are cheaper and attached by transit to the city.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i really like to be close to all the action is.. ( downtown i guess.. ) how about hollywood west etc.. are those areas far from the city?? but yea s you said if theres some realtors in this forum who can help me out i would be really glad!

btw thx for the warm welcome !

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
I'm no realtor but if you want to be close to the action, I would suggest the Los Feliz/Sunset Junction/Silverlake area. Right between downtown and Hollywood. Close to 2 subway stations.

Oh and trust me. You are never far from the city in Los Angeles. There is always something going on somewhere.

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
Soup hit a good point: there are many districts now that have some claim to urban and nightlife status, even quite far from LA proper. Since the realtors aren't doing their job yet, some thoughts:

LA is very diverse so your ethnicity, the way you dress or sexual orientation shouldn't limit your choices at all.

DT: South Park, Spring St., Little Tokyo, others; these are the potentially densest areas and are rapidly transitioning from decayed to revitalized. May be too many high-rises and institutions for some people's taste.

Hollywood: lots of nightlife; but maybe too much for some; close to the Westside, which is the more upscale urban area of LA (Beverly Hills, WeHo, Westwood, Santa Monica)

Sunset Junction/Silver Lake: lower key than Holywood, but lots of hipster, artsy types, edgier music and arts; close to Hollywood and DT

WeHo: more expensive; may be worth it if you are actually in the arts or working nearby; largest gay community but lots of straight as well

Santa Monica/Venice: hip, artsy, professional, more expensive and at the beach

Culver City and North Hollywood (NoHo) are developing into hip, nightlife areas as well, with motion picture and music industry connections

Glendale and Pasadena have nice and growing DT's also, but Glendale is "transportation-challenged" and Pasadena is a ways from the Westside.

Koreatown (Wilshire between Vermont and Western) also has a nice mix of housing options and is very well connected to DT, Holywood (and someday to the west via subway). Lots of Korean, Hispanic, Anglo, others.

Westlake is a great location but right now Spanish language proficiency would be desirable. Ditto for Boyle Heights and several other districts.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

·
Premium Member
30,073 Posts
I'm no realtor but if you want to be close to the action, I would suggest the Los Feliz/Sunset Junction/Silverlake area. Right between downtown and Hollywood. Close to 2 subway stations.

Oh and trust me. You are never far from the city in Los Angeles. There is always something going on somewhere.
This is your best option, like Soup says. Try to find a place in this area, near a Metro Station. You wont regret it. :)

And once your are in town let us know, maybe we'll throw another forum reunion and take a tour, show you around our wonderful city.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea that would be really amazing to do Kenni, the point here is im really into art/music etc.. so somewhere silverlake, hollywood area would be perfect i guess..

i'm planning to visit a 3 months stay mid summer end june/begin july maybe i can get everything going there and stay!?!?

how about the price range of appartments? i mean ive seen some nice places on some sites, hollywood area for a very nice price p/month. it was like 1500$ for a 1 bedroom appartment.. is it real or do these prices get higher???

and hows the living costs over there.. bills, food, etc

i really apreciate the time u guys put into the posts

Thanks alot!!

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
yea that would be really amazing to do Kenni, the point here is im really into art/music etc.. so somewhere silverlake, hollywood area would be perfect i guess..

i'm planning to visit a 3 months stay mid summer end june/begin july maybe i can get everything going there and stay!?!?

how about the price range of appartments? i mean ive seen some nice places on some sites, hollywood area for a very nice price p/month. it was like 1500$ for a 1 bedroom appartment.. is it real or do these prices get higher???

and hows the living costs over there.. bills, food, etc

i really apreciate the time u guys put into the posts

Thanks alot!!
The cost of living varies. You have a wide range of supermarkets starting from the very top (Gleason's), to midrange (Ralphs) to various alternatives. The cost of living depends on what you like to do.

·
Not much
11,090 Posts
The only thing is that it isn't easy to just move from Europe to the States. I wanted to move to New York but it would take months and tons of paper work to just do that without a job, study or anything else. To complicated...

If I want to move from Amsterdam to Berlin I can just do it right away. But from Amsterdam to New York or LA is just to complicated :(

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
"Babalulu" are you Santeria?

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
no klamedia..

well thanks for everything guys.. now i got an idea of how things are over there.. hopefully i will visit soon!!
Also: If you ever find yourself in a Barnes and Noble (or a European equivalent), I IMPLORE you to go to the travel section and look for this book.

This book is probably the greatest resource on the planet in terms for knowing a city. It is better than the internet. They break things down to the most minute detail: Every single restaurant, bank, school, coffee shop, landmarks, mall, park, radio station, airports, sports stadiums, yearly events, college, hiking trail, EVERYTHING. Plus they break down every single neighborhood and tell you the pros and cons of it. One very interesting (and cool) quirk does is make the book size equivalent to the city. For example, the LA book is the largest book in terms of size (due to LA being 500 square miles) and San Francisco being the smallest (San Fran is 50 square miles).

They also have editions for New York, Brooklyn, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, London, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Washington DC.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Wouldn't both London and Houston be larger since they are both much larger than LA? BTW LA is 469 sq miles excluding water.

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
You just have to see the book to understand what I mean. London's book is small but very very dense in terms of information. LA's is very large and not as dense due to LA being so vast.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Soup hit a good point: there are many districts now that have some claim to urban and nightlife status, even quite far from LA proper. Since the realtors aren't doing their job yet, some thoughts:

LA is very diverse so your ethnicity, the way you dress or sexual orientation shouldn't limit your choices at all.

DT: South Park, Spring St., Little Tokyo, others; these are the potentially densest areas and are rapidly transitioning from decayed to revitalized. May be too many high-rises and institutions for some people's taste.

Hollywood: lots of nightlife; but maybe too much for some; close to the Westside, which is the more upscale urban area of LA (Beverly Hills, WeHo, Westwood, Santa Monica)

Sunset Junction/Silver Lake: lower key than Holywood, but lots of hipster, artsy types, edgier music and arts; close to Hollywood and DT

WeHo: more expensive; may be worth it if you are actually in the arts or working nearby; largest gay community but lots of straight as well

Santa Monica/Venice: hip, artsy, professional, more expensive and at the beach

Culver City and North Hollywood (NoHo) are developing into hip, nightlife areas as well, with motion picture and music industry connections

Glendale and Pasadena have nice and growing DT's also, but Glendale is "transportation-challenged" and Pasadena is a ways from the Westside.

Koreatown (Wilshire between Vermont and Western) also has a nice mix of housing options and is very well connected to DT, Holywood (and someday to the west via subway). Lots of Korean, Hispanic, Anglo, others.

Westlake is a great location but right now Spanish language proficiency would be desirable. Ditto for Boyle Heights and several other districts.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.
This is a good description.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're cool with paying $1,500 for your own 1-bedroom, you'll be very comfortable. Electricity, water, gas, Internet, phone bill, you're probably looking at around 250 a month. Food is less expensive than it is in Europe, but going out is more expensive, at least in my experience. In Europe, i could spend very little money and have a blast. In LA, you get what you pay for in terms of nightlife.

I would say you'd need about another 1000 a month for additional expenses, excluding transportation. These would be - food, going out, random stuff for the house, and clothing.

Transportation, of course, depends on whether you're looking to buy/rent a car (I would highly recommend this, otherwise you'll be very frustrated). The transit in LA is still rather underdeveloped, and the subway stops running before midnight. If you're into arts and music, you're probably better off getting an apartment in Hollywood or Downtown, that way you can just walk to the bars/clubs and not worry about transportation.

Apartment hunting: If you decide on Hollywood, i would highly recommend getting an apartment between Hollywood Blvd and Franklin, there is less traffic noise and it's cozier than anything closer to Sunset. There are many historic apartment buildings in this area, too.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Transportation, of course, depends on whether you're looking to buy/rent a car (I would highly recommend this, otherwise you'll be very frustrated). The transit in LA is still rather underdeveloped, and the subway stops running before midnight. If you're into arts and music, you're probably better off getting an apartment in Hollywood or Downtown, that way you can just walk to the bars/clubs and not worry about transportation.
I just hate it when people write comments about transit but don't take it. For what it's worth LA has a 24 hour bus service on the major blvds i.e. Sunset and Santa Monica which run through Hollywood if that's the neighborhood that you are planning to live in. Also the subway doesn't stop running BEFORE midnight (unless you're talking about the short stub of the Purple Line which still runs 15 min til). The last train out of Union Station heading north is at 12:17 am reaching its end destination at 12:46. The last train heading to Union Station heading south leaves at 12:54 am arriving at its end destination at 1:23 am. Most systems around the world including the London Tube and Paris Metro are not 24 hrs. http://www.metro.net/around/maps/
In fact none of the trains stop running before midnight not even on the weekends. This includes the Blue, Gold, Green and even the Orange Liine BRT.

This may or may not apply to you but I don't have a car in LA and I'm better for it. Anyway even if you do feel a need to purchase a car live in a transit accessible neighborhood so that you won't be forever beholden to your 2 ton junk heap. Or better yet buy a scooter or motorcycle instead, much better in traffic.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts