Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Just something
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested to read about the move of some offices out of `Silk House Court` to a newer Liverpool development, although for some reason I have a soft spot for `Silk House Court`...... it might be the pasty shop.

Churchill House though is a grot spot that I though was ear marked for a make over, no news there.

Mercury Court took an age in the 80`s to fill and City Square more than, more than, more than, tens years to create from conception to completion.

However with the current winds of change I do wonder if Tithebarn Street isn`t the missing link within the city centre redevelopments between the shopping core and the busieness sector and to some degree the North Docks expansion......and Pall Mall etc.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Always had a soft spot for Tithebarn street, always thought it was getting the cold shoulder from the rest of town, and was primarily seen as a departure route during the one way system's days. Thankfully now much of its streetscape is filled. It's perception may not change however until it is somehow more accessible to south-enders for instance. There used to be a reason to go there...... Exchange street station, now its only the business district that might attract you, which has other access points in anycase. I hope it is a busier place nowadays, it was a ghost town in the 80's/90's. The close proximity of Vauxhall and Fontenoy gardens when they were in their final decrepid state probably didn't help this area's prospects, although the pubs were always quite busy. At times it was hard to believe that you were only a few hundred yards away from the pier head, there was none of the vibe of Dale Street for instance. Hopefully, now that the gaps in the street frontages have been filled it will feel more a part of things. Perhaps if further developments were run along Leeds Street parallel to it, replacing those poor quality, low density flats/houses, then Tithebarn would no longer feel peripheral.

·
Liverpool, England.
12,682 Posts
Still plenty of development opportunities left in Tithebarn Street Tom, especially at the East end where there are several what look like bomb sites that now serve as car parks.

Then there is a massive site between Moorfields and Hackins Hey that consists of car parks and some derelict buildings - one or two of which must have some heritage value. Developing that area would not only provide new office and residential space but would enliven the cross streets between Dale and Tithebarn Streets. It is presently an amazingly underused area to have in the very heart of a city. Maybe a large public square could be created there.

The Pall Mall development should enliven Tithbarn Street as it will become less of a peripheral street and more one in the centre of the business quarter.

·
Just something
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How will it or how should it enhance the cities downtown?

Yes, I agree with both Tom and Martins veiw points.

But what should be `Tithbarn Streets` development role now that `Exchange Flags` and vercinity etc is hotting up....... how will it or how should it enhance the cities downtown?

·
3,362 Posts
Probably this best thread for this pic.

Tithebarn Hse refurb now underway.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
This is hardly a refurb though is it? From what I have seen they are basically just re-constructing the entrance.

Tithebarn Street like a lot of Liverpools streets just need a thorough good mix of uses - retail, office, residential, lesiure etc etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tithbarn Street - The James Monro Restaurant

I read in the Daily Post that the owners of The Monro on Duke Street are opening a new restaurant called The James Monro, which will be a New York style restaurant. That will be a good addition to Tithbarn Street.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With Exchange Flags looking at full occupancy by the end of 2009 Tithebarn St will be slap bang in the middle of the 'new' business district that has shifted over from the Castle St area towards Old Hall St. I understand that there is to be a new small tesco/sainsbury's type thing at the bottom of Walker House as well as a new restuarant which will both be looking onto Tithebarn St.

The problem for the like of Silkhouse Court is that the new office buildings in the area have raised the bar and make the older buildings highly unattractive

·
Registered
257 Posts
I was interested to read about the move of some offices out of `Silk House Court` to a newer Liverpool development, although for some reason I have a soft spot for `Silk House Court`...... it might be the pasty shop.

Churchill House though is a grot spot that I though was ear marked for a make over, no news there.

Mercury Court took an age in the 80`s to fill and City Square more than, more than, more than, tens years to create from conception to completion.

However with the current winds of change I do wonder if Tithebarn Street isn`t the missing link within the city centre redevelopments between the shopping core and the busieness sector and to some degree the North Docks expansion......and Pall Mall etc.
here is one design I put together for that area - between Tithebarn and Dale st. The whole area is desperate need of something cool and holistic!; )

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
9 times out of ten m:design your designs are spot on. With this one however although I totally agree with the massing and the fact that towers in this area should be built and the majority of the designs are great. The two buidlings that front on to Dale street are already occupied by buildings of moderate massing if I am correct and un-offensive architecture. I think that whole area, as you show in the above design could be a mini-business village something similar to St Pauls Sq.

Off thread but a new coffee shop/cafe has opened up in St Pauls Sq. I think this Sq will be great once all of the retail tenants finally move in. not sure how many have signed up or who etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Agreed

There design looks at, although you cant see in that image, the possibility of either a re-designed moorfields entrance or a new underground entrance in the centre of the cluster to link with the Old Hall st/moorfields walkway.

The design does indeed suggest the removal of less notable architecture on dale st, simply to allow this concept to break through to dale st and allow it to become part of this key thoroughfare, and, in turn, end the site's current role as a walled in, forgotten waste land.http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafYeU2.html

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yes I think Moorfields is in more need of a re-development than James Street. I'm sure it will come in time. I feel Moorfields is a bit of a lost opportunity. There could be coffee shops/cafe's/food stores/bars etc all contained within a new re-design. Linked to Liverpool's bus route's through the creation of an interchange outside etc. Possibly linking to the Airport bus (is this the case now?) surely that would help to promote public transport when accessing the Airport. (Off thread - but twice in peak hour I went past Liverpool South Park Way yesterday and there was not one person on either platform!) Surely a better - more central connection would be better.

It was this thread which gave me the idea for the Office thread I have created to discuss the state of Liverpool's commercial sector.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Agreed

There design looks at, although you cant see in that image, the possibility of either a re-designed moorfields entrance or a new underground entrance in the centre of the cluster to link with the Old Hall st/moorfields walkway.

The design does indeed suggest the removal of less notable architecture on dale st, simply to allow this concept to break through to dale st and allow it to become part of this key thoroughfare, and, in turn, end the site's current role as a walled in, forgotten waste land.http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafYeU2.html
"M",

Do you create these fly thru's/CAD models yourself? If so, what package do you use, and how much do you charge? I've got a stadium design that could do with similar treatment.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Is that for Goodison Park, Tom?
Yes. Got one scheme modelled in 3-D, but had to practically beg, steal and borrow to get it done by a mate and didn't quite finish nor animate. I've another scheme in 2-D format that could look gud in similar format. My 3-D skills are non-existent nowadays, so could do with someone who knows his/her stuff. My mate's snowed under at the mo, so if anyone fancies a challenge!:lol:

·
Just something
9,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not the best of buildings but.....

Tithebarn Hse.

Merseyside Tourism used to be in that building in the late 1970`s and also the Merseyside Economic Redevelopment Office.

Good days to start a `tourism revolution`...... With a `Blue Badge`.

http://visitliverpool.com/

:banana:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts