SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TOKYO 東京 | Ochanomizu Sola City 御茶ノ水ソラシティ | 110m | U/C

TOKYO 東京 | Kanda Surugadai 4-6 Plan 神田駿河台4-6計画 | 110m | U/C

Just a block away from the Awajicho 2-chome West Area North Section project another tower is going up. This area of Kanda right next to Akihabara is undergoing a kind of construction boom with several new towers going up.

height: 109.99m
stories: 23
function: office
start: 10/2010
completion: 03/2013

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&s...98214,139.766564&spn=0.0067,0.016512&t=h&z=17

June 2010

Momo1435

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This officially started construction this month, but as usual there's nothing much to see at this stage.

bluestyle.livedoor.biz/

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google Earth March 12

The project on the top the picture is this tower, still working below street level.

Google Earth

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
自由至上主義&#
1,286 Posts
Indeed, it's in Ochanomizu.
Although the address starts with Kanda, it should not be confused with Kanda station, around which there's no building taller than 100m! In fact, when we talked about "Kanda skyline", we'd better say "Ochanomizu skyline" or alternatively Ochanomizu-Akihabara skyline.

Kanda may be the next station after Tokyo, there's still no skyscraper in the area around it, it's a hole between Tokyo station skyline, Nihonbashi skyline, the Ochanomizu one and the Ueno one. Instead you still see a lot of shotengai. So why is there so many "Kanda something-cho"? That's because until 1946, there was a Kanda-ku. It was merged with then Kojimachi-ku to make Chiyoda-ku. Similarly, there was a Nihonbashi-ku and a Kyobashi-ku that were merged to create Chuo-ku. Also, Azabu-ku, Shiba-ku and Akasaka-ku merged to create Minato-ku, and so on.

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soto-Kanda Electrical town just wouldn't sound right, SOK48 would also never have become the biggest idol group.

I think I've read somewhere that Kanda is one of the few places in Tokyo where they didn't change the addresses to the new system after the wards were rearranged.

Btw, there's a 86m tower currently U/C right next to Kanda station, it could be a start of more to come.

·
自由至上主義&#
1,286 Posts
Soto-Kanda Electrical town just wouldn't sound right, SOK48 would also never have become the biggest idol group.
:lol:

I think I've read somewhere that Kanda is one of the few places in Tokyo where they didn't change the addresses to the new system after the wards were rearranged.
Really? If I judge form the number of "Nihombashi-something-cho" (eighteen!), it's not the only place where they kept the old address.I think it doesn't depend on the area, the renaming or fusion process is something that occurs a little bit everywhere, but probably not on a large scale. If I remember well, Roppongi was called "Azabu Roppongi-cho" before the war. On the contrary, you find some unchanged "cho" in the same area, like the tiny Azabu-mamianacho or Azabu-anagasakacho.

Btw, there's a 86m tower currently U/C right next to Kanda station, it could be a start of more to come.
Yes, for sure it's just a question of time, with such a location. Most probably developers already started a long time ago to acquire land for larger projects, but as always in Japan it's a very-long-term process.

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now you say it, the eastern part of Shinjuku also still has the old system in place.

Azabu is a strange example, since it looks like part of the area did get new names with Azabu in it and a couple of smaller ones didn't change.

btw, Azabu-mamianacho is almost completely going up for redevelopment

·
47,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read it in a message that was posted a while ago here:
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/travel/7324/1299159891/640

■ 【東京】麻布狸穴町で既存ビル2棟を解体 東急不(07/01)

■  【港】東急不動産 住宅事業本部(渋谷区道玄坂1ノ21ノ2)は、港区麻布狸穴町にある既存ビル2棟の解体を清水建設(港区芝浦1ノ2ノ3)に依頼し、7月上旬に着手する。完了は2012年4月末を予定。2棟は隣接し、敷地面積が合計4500平方㍍以上に及ぶことから、今後の大規模な開発が注目される。
(2011/07/01)

It's not the whole area, just 2 larger buildings that will be demolished for a new development. There only 2 large buildings in Azabu-mamianacho, the rest are small houses, that would mean that a quarter of the whole area will be redeveloped.

·
自由至上主義&#
1,286 Posts
Great, thank you for the picture!
Don't you know the height?
It may stick out a bit in its area...

·
自由至上主義&#
1,286 Posts
Looks like a revamp. They probably just clean the front.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts