Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
48,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TOKYO 東京 | Tokyo Garden Terrace 東京ガーデンテラス | 180m & 90m | U/C

TOKYO 東京 | Kioicho Project 紀尾井町計画 | 180m & 108m | Demo (Akasaka Prince Hotel Redevelopment)

stats:

Office/hotel Tower:
Height: 180m
Floors: 36
Function: Office & Hotel
Start: 2013
Complete: 2016

Residential Tower:
Height: 100m
Floors: 26
Function: Residential
Start: 2013
Complete: 2016

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...427,139.737457&spn=0.006702,0.016512&t=h&z=17

The Former Akasaka Prince Hotel 138.9m

http://building-pc.cocolog-nifty.com/helicopter/

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I opened this thread to follow the demolition of the Akasaka Prince Hotel.
I think it's a good idea. Especially when demolition is such an epic job!

If I may suggest you could also open a thread for the 241m. Roppongi 1-chome redevelopment, there's already a constant flow of demolition updates on the blogs.

·
48,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

http://urbanreallife.blog52.fc2.com/

The demolition should be completed in June 2013, the construction will already start in January. This is possible since the news towers won't be located at the direct same spot as the hotel.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The demolition should be completed in June 2013, the construction will already start in January. This is possible since the news towers won't be located at the direct same spot as the hotel.
Are you sure? It seems that the space between the actual hotel building and the "Prince Road" is a bit too tight to have a tower...

By the way I found out that they are actually destroying a pretty large old wooden house for the purpose of the redevelopement. If you look on Google maps you'll see a building with no label on it, on the left of the hotel precincts. With the satellite view, you see the characteristic black tiled-roof.

I think it may be a Ryôtei (料亭), a luxury traditionnal restaurant. There was many of them in central Tokyo, especially around Akasaka, but the decline hasn't stopped since the 80's, and they are disappearing at a fast rate. One of them, called きくみ, will be destroyed for the Akasaka 1-chome Redevelopement. Sad, but people who could afford it, politicians and bosses, are now spending their money in other things... It's the XXIst century :(

They are probably destroying the one beside prince hotel right now. It's hard to tell if the space created by the the demolition of this will be enough for the new tower, but if yes, the new tower will be located exactly where the ryôtei is.

·
48,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The start dates are from the most recent building and demolition notices on the site. And foundation works can start when only part of tower site is cleared. It won't be the 1st time that the construction officially starts when not everything is demolished yet.

And I was looking at that old building. From the historic areal pictures on http://map.goo.ne.jp/ it was there in 1963, but in 1946 there was a empty spot on the location. This means that it's not an actual old building, that's probably one of the reasons why it can be redeveloped this easily.

·
Product Designer
234 Posts
It's a shame that it has to be demolished. I think it's a piece of fine architecture when it comes to the aesthetics. I'm writing a thesis now on japanese beauty ideals and I got this Polish book about japanese archtiecture published in 1988. Yesterdey I've found that it covers Akasaka Prince Hotel in Kenzo Tange section. Although I understand the safety reasoning for this demolition, I wonder whether Japanese have in their minds Tange works as a national treasure....

·
Registered
134 Posts
And I was looking at that old building. From the historic areal pictures on http://map.goo.ne.jp/ it was there in 1963, but in 1946 there was a empty spot on the location. This means that it's not an actual old building, that's probably one of the reasons why it can be redeveloped this easily.
Wow!!! Those historic aerials are amazing! Thanks for posting that!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I didn't know this site, it's a real treasure! Wow, that will keep me in front of my screen for at least a few hundreds of hours in the coming months! hahaha

Well, 1950's is already old for Tokyo, but what I meant by old was more that it is in traditionnal architectural style. Anyway...

As for the Prince hotel, honestly, I will not regret it. Historically, it certainly has some value, as a symbol of an architectural trend, a symbol of a certain time. But as much as I like what Kenzo Tange's son is doing (Shinjuku Cocoon Tower for instance), I'm not a fan of the father's design.

We're talking about design and architecture, but the reason they destroy it is only economy. The time of theses big luxury hotel is over in Tokyo, there is too much concurence and they are not à la page security-wise and comfort-wise. They are out of the race since long, just surviving thanks to their name!

So they badly need to be redeveloped and to diversify their source of income, hence the mix-used type of redevelopement, with offices, residences, shops, and not hotel business. And here you see that hotel will even become a minor part of the new structure.

I predict that it will soon be the turn of the New Okura and of the Imperial Hotel. Actually I'm sure they are already planning their own mix redevelopement and probably actively gathering funds and project partners right now!

Aka-Puri is actually much newer than those 2 ones, but there is technical reasons too. Once a guy from Taisei corp (the company that is destroying it) told me: "Kenzo Tange buildings, they're fucked up after 10 years. The (Prince) hotel is letting water from everywhere."

·
Ryuhei
446 Posts
Yes, it´s sad to see this building being replaced. It looks good... not amazing, but quite good.
But of course there are stronger reasons that make this replacement the better option.

There aren´t more detailed renders of the new towers?

·
48,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There no better renders yet, even when I search with the official name of this project.

Kioicho Project 紀尾井町計画

The new tower is developed by Seibu Properties, the real estate part of Seibu Railways.

They do have a website in English about their projects including this one that their main development right now.
http://www.seibupros.jp/english/about/developmentsolutions/

They only have a more detailed render of the entrance of the tower.

And the mass render with English labels.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Are you sure? It seems that the space between the actual hotel building and the "Prince Road" is a bit too tight to have a tower...

By the way I found out that they are actually destroying a pretty large old wooden house for the purpose of the redevelopement. If you look on Google maps you'll see a building with no label on it, on the left of the hotel precincts. With the satellite view, you see the characteristic black tiled-roof.

I think it may be a Ryôtei (料亭), a luxury traditionnal restaurant. There was many of them in central Tokyo, especially around Akasaka, but the decline hasn't stopped since the 80's, and they are disappearing at a fast rate. One of them, called きくみ, will be destroyed for the Akasaka 1-chome Redevelopement. Sad, but people who could afford it, politicians and bosses, are now spending their money in other things... It's the XXIst century :(

They are probably destroying the one beside prince hotel right now. It's hard to tell if the space created by the the demolition of this will be enough for the new tower, but if yes, the new tower will be located exactly where the ryôtei is.
You're saying it's sad that their demolishing a "Ryôtei?" Double standard much, or would you also be sad if they destroyed the Kitashirakawa Palace instead of preserving it?

Not much has been unveiled about the redevelopment, but from unexplained height reductions, it seems half-assed anyway. Especially if it was reduced because of the economy, as many of these projects take enough time to go through a whole boom and bust cycle.

·
48,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Height reductions are part of the game, I would advise you not to worry about it too long. It happened before and it will happen again.

And when the cycle comes back into a better climate for development there are always new locations that can be redeveloped.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You're saying it's sad that their demolishing a "Ryôtei?" Double standard much, or would you also be sad if they destroyed the Kitashirakawa Palace instead of preserving it?
Well I would have been sad too, probably more.

Overall, I'm very happy with this project. Of course, it would have been perfect to have a new tower and still keep the ryôtei, the Kitashirakawa palace and Tange's hotel, then everybody would have been happy, but you can't have everything.

I hope height doesn't get reduced and cladding turns out good.

Many of these projects take enough time to go through a whole boom and bust cycle.
Very well said!

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
And when the cycle comes back into a better climate for development there are always new locations that can be redeveloped.
Quality over quantity, my friend.

Well I would have been sad too, probably more.

Overall, I'm very happy with this project. Of course, it would have been perfect to have a new tower and still keep the ryôtei, the Kitashirakawa palace and Tange's hotel, then everybody would have been happy, but you can't have everything.
True, but the whole purpose of this redevelopment was so the hotel wasn't perceived old fashioned compared to all the American and Hong Kong-based ultra-luxury chains that have entered the market over the years. I hope the "renders" are just footprints, and the towers actually have some architectural merit.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Indeed, rather a very good building that is a bit lower then originally planned then just go for height.
True that!

I would have prefered a thousand times the Nishi-Tomihisa project to have just 180m. but the former classy design, than the actual 191m. with the actual design.
The thing I'm the most angry at is what they did with the base, the low-rise. It was supposed to be a layered roof garden ontop of floors a la Frank Lloyd Wright, and now it looks like it will some strange tight houses... what a joke!

But how can't you be dissapointed when the first plan was both classier AND higher (225m. man! That would have stick up in this area!). As Regent said, the project really go through a whole boom and burst cycle.

·
Speed Metal God
2,402 Posts
This thread went too much off topic, but I still want to add that most projects in Japan tend to be functional rather than comely-looking (there is nothing new about that anyways). However, when you look at Tokyo you will still get impressed by how well the architectural aspect of the city makes a great attractive blend of (Ugly residential buildings-Glassy office Boxes-Ultra Modern nifty low rise, ect ect..).

1 - 20 of 143 Posts