Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tokyo 23 wards are very dense and compact, feel somewhere like Paris. Outside the 23 wards, 180 degree is surrounded by the mountains or sea leading to Saitama's radish fields and Chiba's deserted coastal rural villages. Even the outer wards for instance Setagaya and Suginami are very countryside. I don't think therefore Tokyo being the world's largest city. The sprawl is in fact very small. Even if Kanto has some 45 million people, I reckon the Tokyo's urbanised area itself is acutally tiny, consist of some 5 million people or so.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Who said Tokyo was the largest city in the world in the first place?

Also when one says the "largest", it could mean population or physical size. Even with physical size, density could also come into play. Point is, saying a city is the "largest" is actually being very vague.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Tokyo's the largest city in the world by population. At least greater Tokyo is. I think basically everyone agrees with this, even on SSC.

It's true that west of tokyo is mountains, and there's also the bay. But then south, Tokyo is basically continous with Yokohama, and greater Tokyo accounts for this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No offence about size and number. No one said largest city, but
why not, there could be different surroundings. Some peole like open field near by riverside or bayside. Some people like density area for fun and easy accessible. Other peole like mountain and forest. The country side is also good place for having relax, and it's still easy access to everywhere because Tokyo is highly conneced cities each other which have many different sceneries. If everywhere are same views, it's not attractive at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think tokyo is the most populated in the world and one of the most biggest in size...Los Angeles, Sao Paolo, London should have more or less the same size..

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
As Epi said, Tokyo is indeed continuously built up in many areas - i used to travel from central Tokyo through to Fujisawa-Shi on the Shonan coast west of Yokohama -there is just continual dense urbanisation all the way through kawasaki, Yokohama and out along the Tokaido-line through Kanagawa.

It definitely is the largest city in the world imo.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
According to Wikipedia, the most populated city in the world is Mumbai, India with 13 million. Tokyo is the 12th most populated city in the world with around 8 million.

According to this website, Seoul is the most populated city in the world with around 10 million. Tokyo is the 10th.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
As Epi said, Tokyo is indeed continuously built up in many areas - i used to travel from central Tokyo through to Fujisawa-Shi on the Shonan coast west of Yokohama -there is just continual dense urbanisation all the way through kawasaki, Yokohama and out along the Tokaido-line through Kanagawa.

It definitely is the largest city in the world imo.
Between Tokyo and Yokohama is in the middle of nothing. You can clearly recognise that when you are on the Toyoko Line. If you go onto the Shuto Express Way, it's very obvious that Tokyo is extremely small, as soon as getting out of the Yamanote Line loop, you'll be stuck into the middle of nowhere. The other day, I came back from Saitama, Ikebukuro's neon lights suddenly come out of its vast radish fields. Between Funabashi and Chiba, there is virtually nothing at all but the forest and almost wrecked farm houses (80's fashioned Bousouzoku suddenly appears with the roar of motorbikes from there, which is very funny). Tokyo's surroundings are not continuously urbanised areas. It's a small city of 620km2, and if we think only the certain areas of the Yamanote loop is dense enough, Tokyo is definitely far smaller than New York and London and even Paris. And, since Tokyo's buildings are all short and packed with the bathroom tiled housings and electric cables above the ground, the skyline is extremely ugly. It is by far the ugliest city in the world I've ever seen. Shouldn't exist such a joke.

·
Tears of Buddha
1,421 Posts
how come you guys are saying desperately?
laughable:lol:
No one care about the accurate city population.

anyway, just ignore 33457. Pepsi is back again.:nuts:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Between Tokyo and Yokohama is in the middle of nothing. You can clearly recognise that when you are on the Toyoko Line. If you go onto the Shuto Express Way, it's very obvious that Tokyo is extremely small, as soon as getting out of the Yamanote Line loop, you'll be stuck into the middle of nowhere. The other day, I came back from Saitama, Ikebukuro's neon lights suddenly come out of its vast radish fields. Between Funabashi and Chiba, there is virtually nothing at all but the forest and almost wrecked farm houses (80's fashioned Bousouzoku suddenly appears with the roar of motorbikes from there, which is very funny). Tokyo's surroundings are not continuously urbanised areas. It's a small city of 620km2, and if we think only the certain areas of the Yamanote loop is dense enough, Tokyo is definitely far smaller than New York and London and even Paris. And, since Tokyo's buildings are all short and packed with the bathroom tiled housings and electric cables above the ground, the skyline is extremely ugly. It is by far the ugliest city in the world I've ever seen. Shouldn't exist such a joke.

I really don't care if Tokyo is the largest or not but when was the last time you rode the Toyoko line, the 20's?

You are talking about the most expensive strip of residential realestate in Japan.
Let me jog you memory a little, Shinjuku station alone handles 34 million people per day. Where in the hell do you think they live?
You should do a little more with your math.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
People need to start citing source rather than pulling opinions out of their behind...

·
AstroNout
5,114 Posts
SOURCE: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stad

1 Sjanghai Shànghǎi China 15.017.783
2 Bombay Mumbai India 12.883.645
3 Karachi Karāchi Pakistan 11.969.284
4 Buenos Aires Argentinië 11.595.183
5 Delhi Dilli India 11.215.130
6 Manilla Manila Filipijnen 10.546.511
7 Moskou Moskva Rusland 10.472.629
8 Seoul Sŏul Zuid-Korea 10.409.345
9 São Paulo Brazilië 10.059.502
10 Istanbul İstanbul Turkije 10.034.830
11 Lagos Nigeria 9.020.089
12 Mexico-stad México Mexico 8.659.409
13 Jakarta Indonesië 8.556.798
14 Tokio Tōkyō Japan 8.372.440

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
Nout, those are municipalities, they don't represent actual urban areas

For example, the Paris municipality has around 2 million inhabitants, but it's only administrative details, because the urban area has aroud 10.

·
Taking On The World
26,555 Posts
São Paulo municipality has 10 million people, the whole metro has 19 million.

isnt the same with Tokyo?? The whole metro having over 33 million people?

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
@ 33457

Tokyo is definitely far smaller than New York and London and even Paris. And, since Tokyo's buildings are all short and packed with the bathroom tiled housings and electric cables above the ground, the skyline is extremely ugly. It is by far the ugliest city in the world I've ever seen. Shouldn't exist such a joke.
^^ :nuts:

Are you high?! Tokyo's urbanity is FAR BIGGER than what London and New York could muster. And, if you consider urban Tokyo to, only, be the 23 central wards then New York City should simply be Manhattan.

If Tokyo is the ugliest city in the world then I can't imagine what you'll say about Lagos or Mumbai or Rio de Janeiro. Obviously, Tokyo ain't the ugliest city in the world (just sorta-dull). But I'm hell sure that your the biggest a-hole that I've met in this forum so far. :yes:

Shouldn't exist such a joke
^^ And oh ...it should exist...the only thing that shouldn't exist in this world is YOU!

So...in short...

33457 = asshole fuckin' gay TROLL

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
@ [everyone]

Greater Tokyo is the largest urban agglomeration in the world.

It's also the world's second largest total built-up area [exceeded in total expanse only by the New York Tri-State Area] (includes all built-up zones: single-family housing residential zones; medium-density residential areas, as in townhomes housing; dense high-rise residential zones, as in high-rise apartment zones; industrial sprawl, commercial areas; central business districts or CBDs] with roughly 7,000 square kilometers of total built-up sprawl covering parts of the prefectures of Kanagawa, Saitama, Ibaraki, and Chiba.

Those largest-city-lists which either put Seoul or Shanghai or Mumbai on the top of their list have different measurement standards.

For example: Shanghai's 20-23 million population figure is actually the total population of the Municipality of Shanghai (rural + urban and/or floating/migrant + permanent/resident population).

Of any given measure, though, only one really matters. It's the physical extent. It doesn't matter if Greater Tokyo isn't one city. Who cares if Greater Tokyo is composed of hundreds of cities. All that maters is that all of them band together in a dense mash of well-developed transportation infrastructure that would allow seemless flow of traffic and mass-transit from one point of the metropolis to another.

·
Registered
156 Posts
this is not gonna be a very scientific reply, but of the cities i have visited so far, tokyo definitely feels the biggest. shanghai, however, also feels massive, definitely in a different league than bangkok or jakarta. of the places i've been to so far, using my gut feeling and eyes, i'd rank them as follows:

1.) tokyo
2.) shanghai
3.) jakarta
4.) bangkok
5.) saigon

someone here mentioned LA as being really big, but jjudging from the pictures i suppose if you would compare the city to tokyo, it's quite tiny. LA looks like a typical city where the skyline is, but the rest is sort of disconnected. i could be wrong though. but for me, a city's size is the uninterrupted sprawl of dense urban area.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts