SkyscraperCity banner

1001 - 1020 of 1349 Posts

·
Té con pastas member
18,937 Posts
New Keio 5000 Series

Keio Corporation received its first 5000 series 10-cars set. This is the Wabakadaien depot on the Keio Sagamihara Line.

A total of 5 trains will be ready entry into service in the Tokyo area from September 2017 as a regular trains, and serving the new "limited express" services by spring 2018.

Photos: https://twitter.com/m51_itachica

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Wait... Woodgrain floors?! We're going upscale in Chōfu for real.
They do *look* a bit more high-end, and solidly built than the cheapish "pack 'em in and recycle in 20" stuff J-Trec usually puts out for Tokyu et al. The seats and fittings give them an almost Kansai vibe.

·
Super Moderator
21,523 Posts
^^ How much in terms of price, or how many units like that will be delivered?

·
18,127 Posts
Construction update for the grade separation of the Tōbu Skytree Line (Isesaki Line) near Takenotsuka. This section of the Isesaki Line is quad-tracked, but the station is only served by local trains, with a single island platform in the center. The outbound track for fast trains was switched to a new viaduct in May of this year. At the same time, the fifth track at the station, used to provide access to and from the adjacent yard, was also decommissioned, leaving only three active tracks at the crossing.
Another update from Takenotsuka, where new viaduct is now visible:

·
Super Moderator
21,523 Posts
Another update from Takenotsuka, where new viaduct is now visible:

Oh wow, the steep track layout reminds me of the steep grades found at Tokyo Station (especially for the Ueno-Tokyo Line and the tracks to/from the Chuo Rapid Line platforms)... I wouldn't be surprised if the speed limit on those tracks are much lower than the ones on the main line for some reason. At least, though, it is served by local services on the Tobu Skytree Line, so maybe that viaduct acts as a preview of what's to come later on.

·
Super Moderator
18,518 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
^^ According to Wikipedia, for 2016 ridership is 20.1 million per day I believe. This has grown from only 12.1 million per day in 2004. This has also led to the line becoming profitable in 2016.

Not bad for a line with only 6 stations.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/横浜高速鉄道みなとみらい線
20 million, that seems a bit steep, since the Yamanote line apparently carries little over 1 million passengers per day. And looking at the Japanese Wikipedia page you linked then somewhere in the translation process things got mixed up somewhere (Google translate?).

20.1万人 = 20.1 * 10000 persons = 201000 persons by my reckoning.

So correction:
That would be 121 thousand daily passengers in 2004 that have risen to 201 thousands daily passengers in 2016.

·
Super Moderator
18,518 Posts
^^ my bad. Forgot the wan (万)= 10,000 in Chinese so should have read original language. Just translated it without going back and checking the Japanese original (as those characters are exactly the same as Chinese). Thanks. Indeed, Google translate through chrome just auto translates foreign pages due to the amount of Swedish stuff I have to read I set it to just auto translate everything so I don't have to read Swedish.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think a huge difference on the Minatomirai line ridership increase was the start of the run-through services using the Tokyu Toyoko Line and the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line in March 2013, which made it very easy for people on the Ikebukuro-Shinjuku-Shibuya corridor to reach central Yokohama through the Minatomirai Line.

·
Té con pastas member
18,937 Posts
New Sotetsu 20000 Series

The Sotetsu 20000 series is a commuter electric multiple unit train type on order by the private railway operator Sagami Railway (Sotetsu). Last 4 August the first unit arrived to the Tokyo area from the Hitachi factory in Yamaguchi Prefecture.

Ultimately intended to be used on through-running services between Sotetsu and Tokyu Corporation lines commencing in late fiscal 2022, the first train will be introduced in December 2017, replacing a 7000 series set.

Externally, the trains will carry the "Yokohama Navy Blue" corporate livery introduced for refurbished 9000 series trains. Passenger accommodation will consist of longitudinal bench seating with grey moquette seat covers. Each car will include a space for wheelchairs and pushchairs.

Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2017/08/04/355/ / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotetsu_20000_series

Journey movie:

Making:

·
Té con pastas member
18,937 Posts
Tokyo Monorail glitch forces travelers to switch trains using a ladder:

Passengers taking the monorail to Haneda Airport from central Tokyo on Sept. 12 got more than they bargained for when a power outage stopped the service and they had to walk over a ladder many meters above water to switch to another train.

Operator Tokyo Monorail Co. said that 40 or so passengers were affected by a transformer glitch as they were en route from JR Hamamatsucho Station.

Tokyo Monorail arranged for another six-car monorail to stop side-by-side with the stalled train. Passengers then used a ladder placed between the doors to board the other service and continue their journey.

Asahi

1001 - 1020 of 1349 Posts